thoughts of upgrading to ATC SIA-2

indietronic

May 21, 2008
Visit site
i am offered the option of "upgrading" from Hegel H1 integrated amp to ATC's SIA-2 150 ..

main concern is and will always be
transparency+soundstage+instrumentpositioning along with musicality (i
mean not too clinical too my ears).. i love balance between
detail/transparency <---> musical sounding (close to live
instrument reproduction to be more specific!)

speakers are ProAc D Two etc.. (see signature that follows)

A

Anonymous

Hi again Indietronic,

What`s wrong with the hegel? For the proacs Check the following

Simaudio moon i3.3, or a second hand i-5, i5.3 , or better still i5.3rs... Read a lot of reviews in favour of proac/simaudio

or else : Second hand plinius 9200

Denson B200/B310 pre/pow

Classe cap-2100 second hand

I`m in the same boat as you are. I`m waiting for something to pop into the second hand market :)

p.s. the closest to your requirements is the simaudio (from what I read)

Goodluck

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
the atc is a superb amp, revealing, expressive, powerful and doesn't sound in any way clinical. what's the sonic character of your proacs? my only real experience with the brand is the studio 110, which i found too forward in the treble. if your d2s are similar, moon might be a good choice, my experience of them is that they're smooth, warm sounding amps, but on sound per pound i think the atc gives a lot more.

A

Anonymous

I auditioned the proac studio 140. I think the studio range of the proac (from memory) , is much forward then your response d two. I find the response series smoother than the studio range . correct me if i`m wrong.

Craig how is the treble of the ATC compared to you previous Moon amplifier, and what model was your moon amplifier? i5.3?

Thanks

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
it was a i3rs. the atc is more obviously neutral in the treble with no trace of brightness or anything nasty. if your speakers are on the smooth side i'd probably steer clear of partnering with moon, you might get a sound that's too safe.

indietronic

May 21, 2008
Visit site
yes, i do not think that studio and response series sound similar at all ... most importand is that response series speakers produce 100% balanced sound, daspaceman calls it "smoother" and he is absolutely right..

anyway there is nothing wrong with hegel... it is only that i am looking for an even better amp to accompany my beloved D2s !

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i don't think you can go wrong with the sia2-150.

i can't post a link but googling atc and forums might help you find links to more reviews, although whfs review is spot on.

A

Anonymous

indietronic...

I`ve been searching he perfect amp for the response two for a month now :)

The best match seems to be sugden a21se, but it`s rated at only 30watts.. and it`s in class A

another perfect match seems to be leben sc600, but it`s a tube amp.

A lot of proac users are using proac with simaudio too. Google "simaudio moon proac". There are two professional reviews mentioning proac/simaudio as a good match. one of them is: http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/simaudio_w5.htm

another http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue3/simw3.htm

There are others , more modern reviews.

Others seem to choose naim, but i`m not sure if they are transperent enough, and some models seem to add colour to the sound.

Rick recommanded ATC amplification or chord but I havent met anyone who has this combination with proac d two.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
If you're quick there's a 3 month old ATC on sale at Audio Emotion for £1,795.

I like the look of it too, good reviews all round.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Personally, other than the Tablettes, ProAc really start from the Response range. I look on the Studio range as 'Response on a budget'. It's not as well balanced or refined as Response, but then, if it was the same there'd be no point in the Response range! Having said that, the Studio 140.2's are crackers - if the rest of the range gets updated in this way then ProAc are looking at a very positive year.

As for amp recommendations, I'd also go with the SIA2-150.

Hi indietronic

ATC's SIA2-150 MK2 integrated amplifier is stunning. The SIA-150 MK2 has gelled well and energised all the Proac speakers (including D2's) which i have used it with.
emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Seems ATC amplification is winning!

Still havent found owners of proac speakers with ATC amplification. Nice if someone posts on this forum

indietronic

May 21, 2008
Visit site
hello david! have you auditioned them both paired [d2+sia2] ? if yes what have your impressions been so far?

FrankHarveyHiFi:

Personally, other than the Tablettes, ProAc really start from the Response range. I look on the Studio range as 'Response on a budget'. It's not as well balanced or refined as Response, but then, if it was the same there'd be no point in the Response range! Having said that, the Studio 140.2's are crackers - if the rest of the range gets updated in this way then ProAc are looking at a very positive year.

As for amp recommendations, I'd also go with the SIA2-150.

daspaceman:

Seems ATC amplification is winning!

Still havent found owners of proac speakers with ATC amplification. Nice if someone posts on this forum

Hi Kevin

Relax!
emotion-1.gif
There is a rightness about the SIA2-150 MK2 and the P1 that is very addictive and one which keeps you listening for hours without fatigue.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Ok... I`ll relax ..and take your word for it
emotion-2.gif

Also.. I like the looks of ATC gear

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
daspaceman:
emotion-2.gif

I'm very tempted by it, I have to say.

A

Anonymous

I`m tempted to buy an ATC P1... It`s a pitty that the preamp doesnt accept HT passthrough...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Having said that, my missus and the little monkey are away for a week and I'm having a louder than normal listening session which is proving extremely lovely. I don't really need to upgrade...

I will also thoroughly recommend Angus & Julia Stone. Sublime.

daspaceman:

emotion-2.gif

Hi Kevin

Great i am glad that you are now feeling relaxed because i am starting to feel tense now!
emotion-4.gif
Seriously though please first try out the P1.

Btw, i also like the looks of the ATC components.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts