Help me decide what new Integrated amplifier to buy!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
boggit said:
Very nice a Hybrid amp with 150W for £1799 and looks stunning in silver, black not so! German design.

Do you have the name of the German designer? I thought the company was Chinese. :?

Unless things have changed, Vincent are designed in Germany and built in China.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
boggit said:
Very nice a Hybrid amp with 150W for £1799 and looks stunning in silver, black not so! German design.

Do you have the name of the German designer? I thought the company was Chinese. :?

I believe they are made in China but i pulled this off there website www.vincent-tac.de/en/ dont hold me to this as i only came across them about an hour ago, there product range, design and marketing look a little to sophisticated to be wholly Chinese.

Under the leadership of Frank Blöhbaum, who is the developer of the Thorens electronics and the Auto-Bias control of the T.A.C. tube amplifiers, the circuit design was completely revised and improved. Thus, in the output stage section a phase reserve of 90° was reached by making various changes. This phase reserve provides a much better transient response to complex loads (loudspeakers). Because the amplifier always works virtually during normal operation in state of the transient oscillation - Music represents transient pulses – the improvements can be heard elementary. Musicality and sound are much better than its predecessor. Even the most difficult loudspeakers can be powered easily. The amplifier always dominates the complex load (loudspeaker) without sounding strained.

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone for all of your responses so far.

After reading your comments I have slightly narrowed down my list but also added a few per your suggestions.

1. Rokas K2 BT ( I always hear about how smooth it sounds. It uses mosfet's. I like the Bluetooth feature and the built in phono is a plus)

2. Arcam A38 (I borrowed a well broken in A18 recently and felt it was pretty good. It was a little sharp in the upper mid range and lower treble with leading edge S and T sounds but overall not too bad at all. So I think could live with it. If the tone of A38 is like the A18 but with more dynamics then it might be a real contender)

3. Electrocompient PL-1 and PL-2. (My dealer has a PL-1 floor sample I can bring home to try. Discounted to $1400. I found a used PL-2 going for $2000. No phono option though. A phono preamp would be an extra cost)

4. Hegel H80 (My dealer also has one of these on floor I can try at home. Need phono preamp though and it's already at my $2000 budget)

5. Pathos Classic MK3 (The used one is still available for $2100 but again I need a phono preamp)

6. YBA IA-100 Heritage (long shot but I used to like YBA and Audio Refinement sound in the past)

7. LFD LE IV (I found one used but it sells for $2500. Tempting though as I have heard great things about it. Anyways, adding a good phono preamp will push the price well into the $3000 range so this is probably not viable)

P.S. I tried Rega and Naim before and the sound is too fatiguing and bright for me with vocals.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
That´s a nice selection,sure you will find the right one out of these.Another hybrid suggestion within budget

http://www.peachtreeaudio.com/nova220se-amplifier-with-dac.html

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
You should try to hear some old Quad 34 pre + 306 or , better, 606 pwr amp (or the new equivalent gears):

soft medium and highs, warm bass, for hours of listening wtout fatigue ...

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
No TIM Matti Otala design of old. :) Very clean, powerfull, smooth and non-transistory sound.

Electrocompaniet should be on the OP's list right next to Roksan, Hegel, Creek and Arcam. If not on top. :)

I agree with this :)

But I did notice this amp on your original post .

Redgum RGi 35ENR ($1700, need phono preamp)

I have not heard this particular model but I have heard a couple of the older ones some years ago and they were very very good , so I would definitely consider one if you like the unusual design :)

Happy_Listner said:
Thanks everyone for all of your responses so far.

After reading your comments I have slightly narrowed down my list but also added a few per your suggestions.

1. Rokas K2 BT ( I always hear about how smooth it sounds. It uses mosfet's. I like the Bluetooth feature and the built in phono is a plus)

2. Arcam A38 (I borrowed a well broken in A18 recently and felt it was pretty good. It was a little sharp in the upper mid range and lower treble with leading edge S and T sounds but overall not too bad at all. So I think could live with it. If the tone of A38 is like the A18 but with more dynamics then it might be a real contender)

3. Electrocompient PL-1 and PL-2. (My dealer has a PL-1 floor sample I can bring home to try. Discounted to $1400. I found a used PL-2 going for $2000. No phono option though. A phono preamp would be an extra cost)

4. Hegel H80 (My dealer also has one of these on floor I can try at home. Need phono preamp though and it's already at my $2000 budget)

5. Pathos Classic MK3 (The used one is still available for $2100 but again I need a phono preamp)

6. YBA IA-100 Heritage (long shot but I used to like YBA and Audio Refinement sound in the past)

7. LFD LE IV (I found one used but it sells for $2500. Tempting though as I have heard great things about it. Anyways, adding a good phono preamp will push the price well into the $3000 range so this is probably not viable)

P.S. I tried Rega and Naim before and the sound is too fatiguing and bright for me with vocals.

HL - I'm going to put forward a suggestion which you may not like but...

You said the Croft was a little too much, likewise the Marantz 8004. Try different speakers. Perhaps the ProAcs aren't giving you the all-round sound you're looking for.

I know CJ had a Croft because he hated anything resembling life. Likewise, midrange Marantz are some of the smoothest amps I've heard. I just get the feeling you won't be happy with any unless you change those speakers.

I would look at PMC Twenty series, Dynaudio, Totem...

I know you're amp-less at bthe mo but I genuinely think the speakers aren't to your taste.

If you're determined to keep the speakers, the amp to try would be Musical Fidelity M3i. If it's anything like the A300 it should be perfect for you.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I have another amp suggestion for which I consider to be an absolute bargain , an Abrahamsen V2.0 integrated amp brand new at a clearance price of £540 :O , 2x 70wpc into 8 ohms and 2x 140wpc into 4 ohms

They are very similar in design to an Electrocompaniet ECI3 , this is because they are both designed by Per Abrahamsen formerly a designer of Electrocompaniet Amps

http://www.store.abrahamsenaudio.no/

They are mail order only but £ 540 is an absolute give away price for this top class amp .

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
That is an awesome suggestion Electro! I can't believe the price for a Norwegian product with such quality parts used. I see most of the separates on the site are already sold out. :bounce:

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
If not only design is similar to EC it is really a bargain.I would be carefull as it is quite a lot of money just to try and gamble.Modell seems also discontinued.Do they accept return?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Well Eletro, they certainly look good, almost identical to the Electrocompaniet in looks. Have you heard any? or seen any reviews? I could not find anything with a quick search just now. Ive been looking at the Electrocompaniet ECI3 for sale at the moment seems a little expensive for a 2005 model.

Esra i have to say that Vincent you suggested also looks a fantastic amp (even though it is Chinese ;) )

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
boggit said:
Well Eletro, they certainly look good, almost identical to the Electrocompaniet in looks. Have you heard any? or seen any reviews? I could not find anything with a quick search just now. Ive been looking at the Electrocompaniet ECI3 for sale at the moment seems a little expensive for a 2005 model.

Esra i have to say that Vincent you suggested also looks a fantastic amp (even though it is Chinese ;) )

:) I know to what you are referring to but made in China and cheap looks/cheap materials with premium price is a NoGo if there are alternatives.BTW I have a few electronics which are made in China,np at all.If you pay chinese workers premium they are also able to produce at premium level in all areas.Just look at Sonus Faber e.x.. :cheers:

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Esra my Chinese remark was not suggesting it was badly made by the way. In fact the reviews are quite the opposite in terms of contruction. Internally it also looks very well laid out and quite complex, not to mention the huge transformer. Put it this way if all the reviews are correct i want one!

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Electro,

Thanks for the tip. Never even knew that brand exisited before. They even look just like the old Electrocompaniet Amps of yore. Wonder how they are selling so cheap? Think they might be deigned by Per Abrahamsen but made in China?

nima

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I've only read the first page of this topic and I think you should definitely sort your digital sources first before making any more mistakes with your amp purchases.

Try to get a home demo of Arcam irDac and Rega DAC and see if that solves any of your problems. I believe the amp decisions will be much easier after that.

ATB

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Apologies if this has been mentioned already, but I'd be looking at some alternative speakers as the Proacs are very detailed and 'toppy'. Great speakers, but something like Harbeth might be more to your liking.

Harbeth with Croft, Exposure, Sugden etc. Great match!

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Esra said:
If not only design is similar to EC it is really a bargain.I would be carefull as it is quite a lot of money just to try and gamble.Modell seems also discontinued.Do they accept return?

The V2.0 amp is an end of line model and being sold to make way for the new Vendetta series being released soon .

The best thing would be to contact Per Abrahamsen for more details about returns and servicing .

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Happy_Listner said:
Electro,

Thanks for the tip. Never even knew that brand exisited before. They even look just like the old Electrocompaniet Amps of yore. Wonder how they are selling so cheap? Think they might be deigned by Per Abrahamsen but made in China?

Abrahamsen audio is only a small Norwiegian company and as far as I know the equipment is all made in Norway . Per Abrahamsen also does upgrades and repairs to the older Electrocompaniet Equipment .

The reason for the very cheap prices is they are end of line models and being sold to make way for the new Vendetta series being released soon .

http://www.oganhodosom.pt/ABRAHAMSEN.html

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
boggit said:
I have contacted Abrahamsen regarding shipping to UK, reviews, sound etc. I will post a reply when i get a reply.

I really hope Per Abrahamsen can gain a bigger presence in the UK and I look forward to hearing his reply .

I really admire him as a designer and the massive contribution he and others have made when they started Electrocompaniet to amplifier design and technology .

I hope more people will take a chance and listen to some of the equipment that Per Abrahamsen has had a part in creating whether it is an Electrocompaniet or an Abrahamsen product .

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I don´t know the Proac Signature 2000,but if they are similar to Monitor Audio i can highly recommend the Roksan Kandy K2 too,as Vladimir did.Only (-) imo. it could have better bass control and tone controls.Everything else I am impressed at this price and the looks is in the eye of the beholder.

Congrat Vladimir,you have bought a really nice amp,should beat the hell out of your CM1´s >) have fun

TRENDING THREADS