The Gyro has landed

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
The Gyro has just arrived, in it's massive original Mitchell box. Damn, it's heavy. It's got to be 15 kilo's easy. The RPM-4 is a frisbee in comparison.

I've only had a quick peek inside, but all looks good. I didn't realise that it needs assembly. From what I can see, the motor is already mounted onto the acrylic plinth. Then I have a large, metal piece, that is made up of three circles. Then there's the platter and finally, some springs. Is it easy to put together?

I won't be using it for a few weeks, as tough a prospect that is, as i'm going to get the HR power supply and it will take a few weeks to get the cash together. I also need to get the armplate so it will accept the Pro-Ject arm.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
They're very easy to put together - if you've done it before!

They're not too bad actually. It doesn't help that the instructions don't have pictures, but it's not too hard to work out what bit they're talking about. Just think of the sense of achievement when you've got it all up and running. As long as it doesn't run backwards when you fire it up
emotion-2.gif

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:
I won't be using it for a few weeks, as tough a prospect that is, as i'm going to get the HR power supply and it will take a few weeks to get the cash together. I also need to get the armplate so it will accept the Pro-Ject arm.

...and the SME IV?.......

A

Anonymous

I found the suspension was the most frustrating thing ever and once you've set the gyro up you can't move it or you have to do it all again.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
tyson1980:I found the suspension was the most frustrating thing ever and once you've set the gyro up you can't move it or you have to do it all again.

In other words, make sure you like your house!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65:bretty:

...and the SME IV?.......

The SME's still on the cards. I'm DEFINITELY getting it, i'm in love with the thing! My impulsive self is telling me to get it now, but the sensible side is saying that winter's nearly here, which is a slow time for the business if the weather's bad (like last years). The sensible side has won out. I'll get the SME IV in April. I'll make do with the Pro-Ject, til then.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
The SME will take a much more refined cart than whats been suggested up and over the 1k mark quite easily. And the mass of it is a tricky one 10/11 which borders on low/medium resulting in different cartridge types. Thaiman has the Gyro/SME combo and may be able o shed some light on the cart type to use. Maybe worth calling him up!

I bet you cant wait to get the Gyro up and running, i'd have itchy fingers by now!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Thanks all. I can't leave the bloody thing alone. I put it in the weights room, with the intention of forgetting about it til I get the power supply. No chance! I've been back into the weights room three times, getting the platter out and admiring it and finally getting everything out of the box. Apart from the damage to the acrylic lid, it's faultless. Not a mark on it. The last owner really looked after it. There's no instructions, though. I'm downloading the manual now from Vinyl Engine.

You're right. This is gonna be a long few weeks!

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
bretty:
Thanks all. I can't leave the bloody thing alone. I put it in the weights room, with the intention of forgetting about it til I get the power supply. No chance! I've been back into the weights room three times, getting the platter out and admiring it and finally getting everything out of the box.
Ha ha! That made me laugh! They'll be carting you off to a padded room, dribbling and muttering "my precious, my precious" before "a few weeks" is out
emotion-5.gif
I reckon you'll have it operational and spinning vinyl by the end of the week
emotion-4.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
margetti:bretty:
Thanks all. I can't leave the bloody thing alone. I put it in the weights room, with the intention of forgetting about it til I get the power supply. No chance! I've been back into the weights room three times, getting the platter out and admiring it and finally getting everything out of the box.

Ha ha! That made me laugh! They'll be carting you off to a padded room, dribbling and muttering "my precious, my precious" before "a few weeks" is out
emotion-5.gif
emotion-4.gif

Just call me Gollum from now on!

I've read through the downloaded manual and...Wha??? Not a clue. I'll have to see if I can tempt Dave from the Hi-fi shop, with a twenty, to come round and help me*

*Do it for me.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:margetti:bretty:

emotion-5.gif
emotion-4.gif

I've read through the downloaded manual and...Wha??? Not a clue. I'll have to see if I can tempt Dave from the Hi-fi shop, with a twenty, to come round and help me*

*Do it for me.

If Dave's not available Bretty let me know and I'll give you a hand (no, not the clapping type)

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65:bretty:margetti:bretty:

emotion-5.gif
emotion-4.gif

*Do it for me.

If Dave's not available Bretty let me know and I'll give you a hand (no, not the clapping type)

Cheers, Mitch. I was gonna ask you that, but I didn't want to impose. You're a top boy, Mitchy!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:mitch65:bretty:margetti:bretty:

emotion-5.gif
emotion-4.gif

*Do it for me.

Cheers, Mitch. I was gonna ask you that, but I didn't want to impose. You're a top boy, Mitchy!

You're joking, any excuse!
emotion-22.gif

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
shooter69:The SME will take a much more refined cart than whats been suggested up and over the 1k mark quite easily. And the mass of it is a tricky one 10/11 which borders on low/medium resulting in different cartridge types. Thaiman has the Gyro/SME combo and may be able o shed some light on the cart type to use. Maybe worth calling him up!

I bet you cant wait to get the Gyro up and running, i'd have itchy fingers by now!

Yup but Bretty asked for a 3 ton cart budget. Thaiman isnt alone by the way, but like me he runs bottles and the same manufacturers speakers, although a different model. 50p says his suggestion begins with a T.

Bretts, i dont know zip about your kit sig,its an onboard phono, yes ?.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Yup but Bretty asked for a 3 ton cart budget.

Just options floyd, if Bretty so wishes..

50p says his suggestion begins with a T.

Your not wrong..

Save it for a rainy day
emotion-5.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
floyd droid:
shooter69:The SME will take a much more refined cart than whats been suggested up and over the 1k mark quite easily. And the mass of it is a tricky one 10/11 which borders on low/medium resulting in different cartridge types. Thaiman has the Gyro/SME combo and may be able o shed some light on the cart type to use. Maybe worth calling him up!I bet you cant wait to get the Gyro up and running, i'd have itchy fingers by now!

Yup but Bretty asked for a 3 ton cart budget. Thaiman isnt alone by the way, but like me he runs bottles and the same manufacturers speakers, although a different model. 50p says his suggestion begins with a T.

Bretts, i dont know zip about your kit sig,its an onboard phono, yes ?.

Sorry for the delay, I've been without internet for the last week.

Yes, it's an onboarrd phono stage.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
No worries Bretts, dont you just love pooters. Anyway, once you have your new baby up and running, well you know what should be next on the agenda dont you
emotion-5.gif

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Glad to hear your Gyrodec has arrived.

I had an Origin Live Silver with mine originally. I upgraded to a SME IV two years ago. It comes highly recommended!

How old is your Gyrodec? The older ones had an AC Papst motor but the new ones are DC. The HR PSU only works with the new DC ones.

I upgraded the AC motor on mine to a DC and also bought the HR PSU. I then sold the AC motor QC PSU on eBay.

bretty:

Thanks all. I can't leave the bloody thing alone. I put it in the weights room, with the intention of forgetting about it til I get the power supply. No chance! I've been back into the weights room three times, getting the platter out and admiring it and finally getting everything out of the box. Apart from the damage to the acrylic lid, it's faultless. Not a mark on it. The last owner really looked after it. There's no instructions, though. I'm downloading the manual now from Vinyl Engine.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
floyd droid:No worries Bretts, dont you just love pooters. Anyway, once you have your new baby up and running, well you know what should be next on the agenda dont you
emotion-5.gif

Haha! yep, I suppose an outboard phono will be heading my way next year!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
DistortedVision:Glad to hear your Gyrodec has arrived.

I had an Origin Live Silver with mine originally. I upgraded to a SME IV two years ago. It comes highly recommended!

How old is your Gyrodec? The older ones had an AC Papst motor but the new ones are DC. The HR PSU only works with the new DC ones.

I upgraded the AC motor on mine to a DC and also bought the HR PSU. I then sold the AC motor QC PSU on eBay.

bretty:

Hi DV,

I need to talk to the seller. I'm pretty sure it's DC, but i'm not 100%.

My plans for tonearm upgrades have hit a stumbling block, 'cos i've had a couple of really poo weeks at work, so disposable funds are tight. The plan now is to get the Power supply in November and in December, i'm going to get an Audio Origami modded Rega 251, which will only set me back around £250.

The SME IV is still in my sights (and thank you for your recommendation of it!) but it will have to wait til next summer.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Sounds like a plan and a modded 251 is a good way to start, probably find that you will keep that for a fair while before that teasing IV finally tempts you!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts