Will the addition of a power amp to an integrated amp improve things?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Oxfordian

Perceived perfection is a rabbit-hole, acceptable compromise is probably the best any of us will ever achieve.
I couldn't agree more, but isn't that goal of perceived perfection what drives us on?

After all we don't seek an acceptable compromise when we look for that upgrade, as an acceptable compromise is what we already have?

Last edited:
I would tend to agree that adding a power amp to an integrated will have little perceived improvement and economically a waste of time.
Flogging the integrated and buying a pre power combo may serve some purpose notwithstanding the ability to add another power amp at some point in the future.
I have owned several pre/ power combos in the past, from the likes of Quantum, Primare, Rotel, and Tom Evans Audio and they certainly can achieve more than an integrated but there's always the added costs to deal with.

Reactions: Tinman1952

podknocker

Default setting on my Omnia is integrated, but can be switched into pre, or power amp mode. I'm tempted now to find a cracking power amp and see if it does improve things. It does mean another box to gawp at.

Last edited:

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
I couldn't agree more, but isn't that goal of perceived perfection what drives us on?

After all we don't seek an acceptable compromise when we look for that upgrade as an acceptable compromise is what we already have?
Unless you have a purpose built dedicated listening room then I think perceived perfection is out of reach for the majority on here. We can tinker around the edges but in the end an acceptable compromise will be the end result unless you have a bottomless pit of cash.

If we detect deficiencies in our kit then it becomes an unacceptable compromise. What we all strive for is an acceptable level before the hobby drains our finances. HiFi nirvana is almost impossible to achieve because we're human and live in imperfect houses. We think nirvana is just around the corner when really it's out of reach for the majority of us mere mortals on here. Just my 2p's worth :)

Reactions: JDL and podknocker

podknocker

Unless you have a purpose built dedicated listening room then I think perceived perfection is out of reach for the majority on here. We can tinker around the edges but in the end an acceptable compromise will be the end result unless you have a bottomless pit of cash.

If we detect deficiencies in our kit then it becomes an unacceptable compromise. What we all strive for is an acceptable level before the hobby drains our finances. HiFi nirvana is almost impossible to achieve because we're human and live in imperfect houses. We think nirvana is just around the corner when really it's out of reach for the majority of us mere mortals on here. Just my 2p's worth :)
You really do need a dedicated listening room, with ample space in order to fully enjoy your HIFI system. No windows, or other reflective surfaces, but also not too many soft furnishings to absorb the treble. Quiet aircon and power supply and fully soundproofed to avoid any other people/traffic to spoil your music. I could do that, but I'd need the thick end of half a million quid, so that won't happen. Forever adding and replacing seems to be a compulsion for many and I'm still searching for that perfect sound. It is futile really.

Reactions: JDL and DougK1
You really do need a dedicated listening room, with ample space in order to fully enjoy your HIFI system. No windows, or other reflective surfaces, but also not too many soft furnishings to absorb the treble. Quiet aircon and power supply and fully soundproofed to avoid any other people/traffic to spoil your music. I could do that, but I'd need the thick end of half a million quid, so that won't happen. Forever adding and replacing seems to be a compulsion for many and I'm still searching for that perfect sound. It is futile really.
You have aircon??
I don't have any rooms without a window unfortunately. That's me scuppered then. :)

podknocker

And a redundant power amp section in the Omnia.....
Complete waste of good money in my humble opinion...
I agree, unless I did find a real bargain and it was a real step up in performance. I like the idea of having too much power and always having the option to kick any speaker up the backside. I would need a bigger space though, so it's another tenner on lotto tickets later.

Reactions: DougK1 and Al ears

podknocker

'Course you could just buy a decent pair of headphones.... :)
I do. I have my trusty 21 year old Sennheiser HD600 cans. They do sound great plugged into my new PC, even with lossy Spotify. There is something I still like from my HIFI though and I don't think I could part with it and just use the cans. It doesn't sound better, just different. I can't really explain it.

Reactions: DougK1

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Agreed. So-called perfection doesn't exist and those searching for it usually end up spending fortunes and very miserable.
Definitely. I guess it's a case of personal nirvana than nirvana itself, reaching a point of contentment with what you have. Only problem with this hobby is that you hear something different then the box-swapping starts again :) I really hope I'm past this point 🤞

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
I do. I have my trusty 21 year old Sennheiser HD600 cans. They do sound great plugged into my new PC, even with lossy Spotify. There is something I still like from my HIFI though and I don't think I could part with it and just use the cans. It doesn't sound better, just different. I can't really explain it.
Can't beat the immersive experience of speakers. I've got the HD650 and HD800S, though both are very good I'm still a speakers-first man.

podknocker

Can beat the immersive experience of speakers. I've got the HD650 and HD800S, though both are very good I'm still a speakers-first man.
I send WIFI from my 5G router to my laptop, sat on top of my Omnia and I'm using bluetooth, with DTS PlayFi being terrible and all this is sat on top of my Canton DM75 soundbase. I'm still trying to figure out how I could use this as a sub, with the kit and connections available, but I don't think it's an option, or desirable when I really think about it.

Oxfordian

I would tend to agree that adding a power amp to an integrated will have little perceived improvement and economically a waste of time.
Flogging the integrated and buying a pre power combo may serve some purpose notwithstanding the ability to add another power amp at some point in the future.
I have owned several pre/ power combos in the past, from the likes of Quantum, Primare, Rotel, and Tom Evans Audio and they certainly can achieve more than an integrated but there's always the added costs to deal with.
The cost factor is a good point and that is why I asked on another thread about buying pre-loved rather than new, for example the price of a new Hegel H190 (or H200 when its announced) would get you a very good pre/power combination from a well respected brand but obviously the kit would be a few years old and most likely you'd get some change.

Now the newly launched kit will have the latest bells and whistles but they may not be what you need whereas for potentially 75% of that cost you could pick up a pre/power which better fits your needs, and this is what appeals to me.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Can't beat the immersive experience of speakers. I've got the HD650 and HD800S, though both are very good I'm still a speakers-first man.
Yes. Me too. I get a claustrophobic feeling when using headphones. I just love the room filling sound of a decent audio system running into loudspeakers along with a really good recording.
Unbeatable for me.

Oxfordian

My aim is for perfection from my hifi system.

Now before everyone jumps up and down and calls the men in white coats to cart me away, let me clarify and add that I know that I will never ever achieve perfection, in fact I will never ever get close, but it shouldn't stop me trying to reach it.

There is always going to be the cost v benefit factor to consider and that will stop many people from continuing to invest in their system, myself included, and then there is the pleasure factor to consider, if we stop enjoying the music because we are too focused on the kit then that's a problem.

So for me perfection is achievable, but it is limited and it comes with caveats, namely an acknowledgement that we could achieve a better sound but only if we sold our souls to the man down below (and I don't mean Australia).

I don't think that any of us are accepting a compromise I believe that we are aiming for our own individual limited form of perfection, a set-up that we can sit down and listen to with a big grin all over our faces. When we get that it is perfection.

TRENDING THREADS