The Devialet thread

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
DocG said:
So to sum it up so far, you have 2 "do it"s, 1 "don't", 1 "maybe yes" and 2 "perhaps better not"s.

Not all that helpful, is it? :shifty:

:grin:

It's not so easy to chose the right speakers but kudos to Matt for going through this enthusiastically and patiently!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
WishTree said:
DocG said:
So to sum it up so far, you have 2 "do it"s, 1 "don't", 1 "maybe yes" and 2 "perhaps better not"s.

It's not so easy to chose the right speakers but kudos to Matt for going through this enthusiastically and patiently!

Here! Here! and for giving us something truly interesting to read on this forum.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Neffa

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Matt

Could you comment on how you configure your Synology box for bit-perfect transmission? I've got one with my D170, but it has a digital volume control in the circuit - do you switch it off somehow (I can't see how) or just set it to 100?

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
WishTree said:
DocG said:

Here! Here! and for giving us something truly interesting to read on this forum.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Absolutely. In fact, with that in mind, my feeling is Matt should definitely return those delightful MLs and put in at least another six months' hard auditioning and penning of incisive posts! :dance:

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Neffa said:
Matt

Could you comment on how you configure your Synology box for bit-perfect transmission? I've got one with my D170, but it has a digital volume control in the circuit - do you switch it off somehow (I can't see how) or just set it to 100?

Hi Neffa, and welcome to the forum (and to the Devialet club)!

I'm sure Matt will pop in soon to answer your question properly, but meanwhile, can I ask you how you connect your NAS to the Dev? If you use the USB input, the NAS only delivers data packages when the DAC 'pulls them in'. So that should bypass a volume control... :?

Out of curiosity: what speakers have you tried so far, and what did you end up with?

:cheers:

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
Neffa said:
Matt

I'm sure Matt will pop in soon to answer your question properly, but meanwhile, can I ask you how you connect your NAS to the Dev? If you use the USB input, the NAS only delivers data packages when the DAC 'pulls them in'. So that should bypass a volume control... :?

Hi Neffa,

I assumed that if the volume was set to max, it would in effect defeat the volume control. However, I don't know whether this is in fact the case.

What Doc says seems to make sense, but is evidently not the case, because (as you've found out) when outputting via USB and with the 'optimum quality' setting ticked, the volume control still works.

I have to say, I'm not altogether happy with Audio Station: the GUI is very primitive, and it doesn't present my metadata the way I like it.

Cheers,

Matt

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
I'm thinking.

1. Life is too short. No time to be wasted in thinking too much! Let the heart rule !!

2. A well thoughtful decision means all possibilities for near future are covered and addressed. Let the mind rule !!

I hope I am helping here!!

BTW, I just read your System thread more keenly and that is very inspiring !!

Neffa

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
In reply to the above - I am using USB, and as Matt says, the volume control is still in circuit via USB even when high quality is selected.

My (old) Linn was 'pass-through' when the volume was 80 (and you could disable it so it locked at 80) but I can't see how to do this on the Synology.

I'm having some success with Air - controlling Asset (a DLNA server) via MediaMonkey on a Windows 8 touch device - very nice.

Speakers are Kudos, legacy of my old Linn/Naim setup. They will be changed in due course!!

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Neffa said:
Using USB, and as Matt says, the volume control is still in circuit via USB.

My (old) Linn was 'pass-through' when the volume was 80 (and you could disable it so it locked at 80) but I can't see how to do this on the Synology.

I'm having some success with Air - controlling Asset (a DLNA server) via MediaMonkey on a Windows 8 touch device - very nice.

Speakers are Kudos, legacy of my old Linn/Naim setup. They will be changed in due course!!

I have a Synology NAS too and had an Oppo BDP-105. With all the digital volume controls, be it on Mac Mini or Synology or Oppo or other devices, the 100% volume means no digital volume control in place. It is a bit clearly explained in Oppo BDP-105 manual how the volume control is achieved.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Neffa said:

Neffa, I'd be interested to hear more about this. Where is the Asset server? On the Synology NAS?

Matt

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your helpful (and helpfully critical) comments, Cno, Mac, Doc, James, WishTree, Neuphonix. You’ve made the decision both harder and easier.

What have I been looking for?

In the first place, the best speakers I could find within budget. (OK, there’s been a bit of budget creep since I first posted here last April and said I was looking to spend £5-10K …)

One thing I’ve learnt is that all speakers – at least all the speakers I’ve heard – are compromised. They’re compromised in ways that sources and amps aren’t. (And I’ll admit that I feel a bit less confident about choosing speakers than I did about buying the Devialet.) There are always going to be trade-offs with speakers. So what does ‘best’ mean for me? What are the factors I don’t want to compromise on?

1. immediacy: the sense that the music is in the room and that I can see into it, can pick apart the instruments in a piano quintet or hear the tempi clearly in a symphony.

2. scale: I’ve always said opera was important to me. I want to hear the stage, from side to side and back to front.

3. drama: again in opera (and not only opera) the dynamics are so important. Quiet must be quiet and loud must be loud, and the transitions between loud and quiet must be fast.

4. lack of distortion: obvs.

There are other factors: a flat frequency response is one. But a wonky frequency response can be mended digitally. (That was one of my reasons for choosing the Devialet.) Poor transparency, scale, dynamics and distortion in speakers can’t be mended. Either a speaker can do them or it can’t, and if it can’t, no messing with sources or DSP is going to help.

Big scale and drama require big speakers. And the Martin Logans sound big. I’ve been doing some Wagner today: these speakers are immense and dramatic. The only speakers I’ve heard that have matched them for scale and dynamics have been huge Focals and Magicos, which are way beyond my budget.

As for transparency and distortion, I haven’t heard anything that beats the MLs. I was worried that the MLs would distort high frequencies when driven loud, but they don’t. In fact, the louder they’re driven, the better they sound. With good recordings they’re whistle clean.

So there you have my decision. The MLs aren’t perfect, but they satisfy my criteria better than anything else I’ve heard, and by quite a long way. To achieve better immediacy, scale, dynamics and smoothness, I think I’d have to spend well over £10K, and although Mrs49 has deep pockets, that’s not going to happen.

The last week has been strange. For most of it I’ve felt I’ve died and gone to heaven. But I've also had moments of doubt. The doubt's behind me now; only heaven from now on.

Matt

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
So there you have my decision. The MLs aren’t perfect, but they satisfy my criteria better than anything else I’ve heard, and by quite a long way. To achieve better immediacy, scale, dynamics and smoothness, I think I’d have to spend well over £10K, and although Mrs49 has deep pockets, that’s not going to happen.

:cheer:

You did it! Congratulations :cheers: Along with music heaven for you, some picture sharing for us once all set up !

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
WishTree said:
:cheer:

You did it! Congratulations :cheers: Along with music heaven for you, some picture sharing for us once all set up !

Yes, thanks, I've been far too earnest. More emoticons needed.

:cool:

:love:

:party:

:beer:

:tired:

The pics will follow, though they'll look a bit odd: huge speakers and practically invisible amp!

Matt

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hurray! You did it!

Enjoy heaven, Matt (and send us a post card every once in awhile)!

More smileys needed...

:clap: :cheer: :rockout: :bounce: :dance: :boohoo: :cheers: :bigsmile: :cool:

EDIT: If I'm really honest, also a little :cry:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm glad you have found what you're looking for.

My input was to provide some ideas and challenge your decision making.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:

I feel your pain.

The psychology of this can get rather fraught. Making a big spend on an indulgence (and what is hi-fi if not an indulgence?) in the knowledge that it'll be your last big spend for some time -- I think it's a bit like Christmas. There's a lot of excitement in the run-up, but once it happens one can be left feeling fairly flat, so there's a temptation to maximise the pleasure of anticipation.

Now the pleasure of anticipation has gone. Still there's lots to look forward to on the Devialet front, and I also have to think about my front end.

My current set-up gives me two options. Either I send files direct from the NAS to the Dev via USB, or I use a modded Sonos via SPDIF. I'm open to the possibility that a hi-fi streamer (e.g. the MOON MInD 180) might produce better sonic results -- open but sceptical. What I'm really interested in is the software functionality and 'user experience'. And that's where the NAS-via-USB option, for all its theoretical sonic advantages, is disappointing.

Matt

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I'm glad you have found what you're looking for. My input was to provide some ideas and challenge your decision making. :cheers:

Yes, and very helpful it was too.

As I just mentioned in reply to the good Doc, my front end is still unresolved.

The other area I need to work on is room measurement and treatment.

Matt

EDIT Oh and (whispers) speaker cables.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
DocG said:

I feel your pain.

The psychology of this can get rather fraught. Making a big spend on an indulgence (and what is hi-fi if not an indulgence?) in the knowledge that it'll be your last big spend for some time -- I think it's a bit like Christmas. There's a lot of excitement in the run-up, but once it happens one can be left feeling fairly flat, so there's a temptation to maximise the pleasure of anticipation.

Now the pleasure of anticipation has gone. Still there's lots to look forward to on the Devialet front, and I also have to think about my front end.

Well, the :cry: concerns myself and the rest of your fanclub... We'll have to do without your speaker reviews from now on... ;)

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
Well, the :cry: concerns myself and the rest of your fanclub... We'll have to do without your speaker reviews from now on... ;)

Gotcha.

TBH I'm going to miss writing the speaker reviews. I've enjoyed doing them, not least because of the positive feedback from you guys.

I just hope my book gets some positive reviews when it comes out later this year. :? (And no, it's not about hi-fi gear ...)

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
DocG said:

Gotcha.

TBH I'm going to miss writing the speaker reviews. I've enjoyed doing them, not least because of the positive feedback from you guys.

I just hope my book gets some positive reviews when it comes out later this year. :? (And no, it's not about hi-fi gear ...)

You know other things than hi-fi things too? :eek:

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Well done Matt. Delighted for you, though as a fully signed up member of the aforementioned fan club, sad to have reached journey's end, and, as also suggested elsewhere, more than a little envious. It's been emotional ...

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi Matt,

May I add my congratulations and take the opportunity to thank you for a tremendous series of speaker reviews, but being totally selfish, I'll admit to being a bit disappointed not to hear your thoughts on Revel and GamuT.

Looking forward already to your source and cable threads!

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbbubble.net

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts