• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

The Devialet thread

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

WishTree

Well-known member
May 18, 2010
107
1
18,595
DocG said:
So to sum it up so far, you have 2 "do it"s, 1 "don't", 1 "maybe yes" and 2 "perhaps better not"s.

Not all that helpful, is it? :shifty:
:grin:

It's not so easy to chose the right speakers but kudos to Matt for going through this enthusiastically and patiently!
 

Macspur

Well-known member
May 3, 2010
77
0
18,540
WishTree said:
DocG said:
So to sum it up so far, you have 2 "do it"s, 1 "don't", 1 "maybe yes" and 2 "perhaps better not"s.

Not all that helpful, is it? :shifty:
:grin:

It's not so easy to chose the right speakers but kudos to Matt for going through this enthusiastically and patiently!
Here! Here! and for giving us something truly interesting to read on this forum.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net
 

Neffa

New member
Feb 26, 2014
0
0
0
Matt

Could you comment on how you configure your Synology box for bit-perfect transmission? I've got one with my D170, but it has a digital volume control in the circuit - do you switch it off somehow (I can't see how) or just set it to 100?
 

James7

New member
Jun 1, 2011
7
0
0
Macspur said:
WishTree said:
DocG said:
So to sum it up so far, you have 2 "do it"s, 1 "don't", 1 "maybe yes" and 2 "perhaps better not"s.

Not all that helpful, is it? :shifty:
:grin:

It's not so easy to chose the right speakers but kudos to Matt for going through this enthusiastically and patiently!
Here! Here! and for giving us something truly interesting to read on this forum.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net
Absolutely. In fact, with that in mind, my feeling is Matt should definitely return those delightful MLs and put in at least another six months' hard auditioning and penning of incisive posts! :dance:
 

DocG

Well-known member
May 1, 2012
54
1
18,545
Neffa said:
Matt

Could you comment on how you configure your Synology box for bit-perfect transmission? I've got one with my D170, but it has a digital volume control in the circuit - do you switch it off somehow (I can't see how) or just set it to 100?
Hi Neffa, and welcome to the forum (and to the Devialet club)!

I'm sure Matt will pop in soon to answer your question properly, but meanwhile, can I ask you how you connect your NAS to the Dev? If you use the USB input, the NAS only delivers data packages when the DAC 'pulls them in'. So that should bypass a volume control... :?

Out of curiosity: what speakers have you tried so far, and what did you end up with?

:cheers:
 

matt49

New member
Apr 7, 2013
51
0
0
DocG said:
Neffa said:
Matt

Could you comment on how you configure your Synology box for bit-perfect transmission? I've got one with my D170, but it has a digital volume control in the circuit - do you switch it off somehow (I can't see how) or just set it to 100?
I'm sure Matt will pop in soon to answer your question properly, but meanwhile, can I ask you how you connect your NAS to the Dev? If you use the USB input, the NAS only delivers data packages when the DAC 'pulls them in'. So that should bypass a volume control... :?
Hi Neffa,

I assumed that if the volume was set to max, it would in effect defeat the volume control. However, I don't know whether this is in fact the case.

What Doc says seems to make sense, but is evidently not the case, because (as you've found out) when outputting via USB and with the 'optimum quality' setting ticked, the volume control still works.

I have to say, I'm not altogether happy with Audio Station: the GUI is very primitive, and it doesn't present my metadata the way I like it.

Cheers,

Matt
 

WishTree

Well-known member
May 18, 2010
107
1
18,595
matt49 said:
I'm thinking.
1. Life is too short. No time to be wasted in thinking too much! Let the heart rule !!

2. A well thoughtful decision means all possibilities for near future are covered and addressed. Let the mind rule !!

I hope I am helping here!!

BTW, I just read your System thread more keenly and that is very inspiring !!
 

Neffa

New member
Feb 26, 2014
0
0
0
In reply to the above - I am using USB, and as Matt says, the volume control is still in circuit via USB even when high quality is selected.

My (old) Linn was 'pass-through' when the volume was 80 (and you could disable it so it locked at 80) but I can't see how to do this on the Synology.

I'm having some success with Air - controlling Asset (a DLNA server) via MediaMonkey on a Windows 8 touch device - very nice.

Speakers are Kudos, legacy of my old Linn/Naim setup. They will be changed in due course!!
 

WishTree

Well-known member
May 18, 2010
107
1
18,595
Neffa said:
Using USB, and as Matt says, the volume control is still in circuit via USB.

My (old) Linn was 'pass-through' when the volume was 80 (and you could disable it so it locked at 80) but I can't see how to do this on the Synology.

I'm having some success with Air - controlling Asset (a DLNA server) via MediaMonkey on a Windows 8 touch device - very nice.

Speakers are Kudos, legacy of my old Linn/Naim setup. They will be changed in due course!!
I have a Synology NAS too and had an Oppo BDP-105. With all the digital volume controls, be it on Mac Mini or Synology or Oppo or other devices, the 100% volume means no digital volume control in place. It is a bit clearly explained in Oppo BDP-105 manual how the volume control is achieved.
 

matt49

New member
Apr 7, 2013
51
0
0
Neffa said:
I'm having some success with Air - controlling Asset (a DLNA server) via MediaMonkey on a Windows 8 touch device - very nice.
Neffa, I'd be interested to hear more about this. Where is the Asset server? On the Synology NAS?

Matt
 

matt49

New member
Apr 7, 2013
51
0
0
Thanks for your helpful (and helpfully critical) comments, Cno, Mac, Doc, James, WishTree, Neuphonix. You’ve made the decision both harder and easier.

What have I been looking for?

In the first place, the best speakers I could find within budget. (OK, there’s been a bit of budget creep since I first posted here last April and said I was looking to spend £5-10K …)

One thing I’ve learnt is that all speakers – at least all the speakers I’ve heard – are compromised. They’re compromised in ways that sources and amps aren’t. (And I’ll admit that I feel a bit less confident about choosing speakers than I did about buying the Devialet.) There are always going to be trade-offs with speakers. So what does ‘best’ mean for me? What are the factors I don’t want to compromise on?

1. immediacy: the sense that the music is in the room and that I can see into it, can pick apart the instruments in a piano quintet or hear the tempi clearly in a symphony.

2. scale: I’ve always said opera was important to me. I want to hear the stage, from side to side and back to front.

3. drama: again in opera (and not only opera) the dynamics are so important. Quiet must be quiet and loud must be loud, and the transitions between loud and quiet must be fast.

4. lack of distortion: obvs.

There are other factors: a flat frequency response is one. But a wonky frequency response can be mended digitally. (That was one of my reasons for choosing the Devialet.) Poor transparency, scale, dynamics and distortion in speakers can’t be mended. Either a speaker can do them or it can’t, and if it can’t, no messing with sources or DSP is going to help.

Big scale and drama require big speakers. And the Martin Logans sound big. I’ve been doing some Wagner today: these speakers are immense and dramatic. The only speakers I’ve heard that have matched them for scale and dynamics have been huge Focals and Magicos, which are way beyond my budget.

As for transparency and distortion, I haven’t heard anything that beats the MLs. I was worried that the MLs would distort high frequencies when driven loud, but they don’t. In fact, the louder they’re driven, the better they sound. With good recordings they’re whistle clean.

So there you have my decision. The MLs aren’t perfect, but they satisfy my criteria better than anything else I’ve heard, and by quite a long way. To achieve better immediacy, scale, dynamics and smoothness, I think I’d have to spend well over £10K, and although Mrs49 has deep pockets, that’s not going to happen.

The last week has been strange. For most of it I’ve felt I’ve died and gone to heaven. But I've also had moments of doubt. The doubt's behind me now; only heaven from now on.

:cheers:

Matt
 

WishTree

Well-known member
May 18, 2010
107
1
18,595
matt49 said:
So there you have my decision. The MLs aren’t perfect, but they satisfy my criteria better than anything else I’ve heard, and by quite a long way. To achieve better immediacy, scale, dynamics and smoothness, I think I’d have to spend well over £10K, and although Mrs49 has deep pockets, that’s not going to happen.
:cheer:

You did it! Congratulations :cheers: Along with music heaven for you, some picture sharing for us once all set up !
 

matt49

New member
Apr 7, 2013
51
0
0
WishTree said:
:cheer:

You did it! Congratulations :cheers: Along with music heaven for you, some picture sharing for us once all set up !
Yes, thanks, I've been far too earnest. More emoticons needed.

:cool:

:love:

:party:

:beer:

:tired:

The pics will follow, though they'll look a bit odd: huge speakers and practically invisible amp!

Matt
 

DocG

Well-known member
May 1, 2012
54
1
18,545
Hurray! You did it!

Enjoy heaven, Matt (and send us a post card every once in awhile)!

More smileys needed...

:clap: :cheer: :rockout: :bounce: :dance: :boohoo: :cheers: :bigsmile: :cool:

EDIT: If I'm really honest, also a little :cry:
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
8
0
I'm glad you have found what you're looking for.

My input was to provide some ideas and challenge your decision making.

:cheers:
 

matt49

New member
Apr 7, 2013
51
0
0
DocG said:
EDIT: If I'm really honest, also a little :cry:
I feel your pain.

The psychology of this can get rather fraught. Making a big spend on an indulgence (and what is hi-fi if not an indulgence?) in the knowledge that it'll be your last big spend for some time -- I think it's a bit like Christmas. There's a lot of excitement in the run-up, but once it happens one can be left feeling fairly flat, so there's a temptation to maximise the pleasure of anticipation.

Now the pleasure of anticipation has gone. Still there's lots to look forward to on the Devialet front, and I also have to think about my front end.

My current set-up gives me two options. Either I send files direct from the NAS to the Dev via USB, or I use a modded Sonos via SPDIF. I'm open to the possibility that a hi-fi streamer (e.g. the MOON MInD 180) might produce better sonic results -- open but sceptical. What I'm really interested in is the software functionality and 'user experience'. And that's where the NAS-via-USB option, for all its theoretical sonic advantages, is disappointing.

Matt
 

matt49

New member
Apr 7, 2013
51
0
0
CnoEvil said:
I'm glad you have found what you're looking for. My input was to provide some ideas and challenge your decision making. :cheers:
Yes, and very helpful it was too.

As I just mentioned in reply to the good Doc, my front end is still unresolved.

The other area I need to work on is room measurement and treatment.

Matt

EDIT Oh and (whispers) speaker cables.
 

DocG

Well-known member
May 1, 2012
54
1
18,545
matt49 said:
DocG said:
EDIT: If I'm really honest, also a little :cry:
I feel your pain.

The psychology of this can get rather fraught. Making a big spend on an indulgence (and what is hi-fi if not an indulgence?) in the knowledge that it'll be your last big spend for some time -- I think it's a bit like Christmas. There's a lot of excitement in the run-up, but once it happens one can be left feeling fairly flat, so there's a temptation to maximise the pleasure of anticipation.

Now the pleasure of anticipation has gone. Still there's lots to look forward to on the Devialet front, and I also have to think about my front end.
Well, the :cry: concerns myself and the rest of your fanclub... We'll have to do without your speaker reviews from now on... ;)
 

matt49

New member
Apr 7, 2013
51
0
0
DocG said:
Well, the :cry: concerns myself and the rest of your fanclub... We'll have to do without your speaker reviews from now on... ;)
Gotcha.

TBH I'm going to miss writing the speaker reviews. I've enjoyed doing them, not least because of the positive feedback from you guys.

I just hope my book gets some positive reviews when it comes out later this year. :? (And no, it's not about hi-fi gear ...)
 

DocG

Well-known member
May 1, 2012
54
1
18,545
matt49 said:
DocG said:
Well, the :cry: concerns myself and the rest of your fanclub... We'll have to do without your speaker reviews from now on... ;)
Gotcha.

TBH I'm going to miss writing the speaker reviews. I've enjoyed doing them, not least because of the positive feedback from you guys.

I just hope my book gets some positive reviews when it comes out later this year. :? (And no, it's not about hi-fi gear ...)
You know other things than hi-fi things too? :eek:
 

James7

New member
Jun 1, 2011
7
0
0
Well done Matt. Delighted for you, though as a fully signed up member of the aforementioned fan club, sad to have reached journey's end, and, as also suggested elsewhere, more than a little envious. It's been emotional ...
 

Macspur

Well-known member
May 3, 2010
77
0
18,540
Hi Matt,

May I add my congratulations and take the opportunity to thank you for a tremendous series of speaker reviews, but being totally selfish, I'll admit to being a bit disappointed not to hear your thoughts on Revel and GamuT.

Looking forward already to your source and cable threads!

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbbubble.net
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts