Holy mackerel! Devialet are trickling down!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matt49 said:
Two other factors weigh heavily with me. One is appearance: much as I like to look at hi-fi boxes (for instance, I love the look of Accuphase kit), the AMS35i is very big and rather plain. By comparison the Dev is unobtrusively beautiful. And then there's the remote. The Dev's remote is just perfection: solid, well-crafted, elegant, and works like a dream. I won't comment on the AMS35i's remote again, for fear of upsetting Cno.

You won't upset me as I'm all too well aware of the shortcommings of the 35i.

Given how much you like the Devialet, I think you have made the right decision.....especially if you go with the type of musical speakers you have been pairing it with. I would encourage you to also try it with some Kef R Series (if you haven't already - can't remember).

Your comment about "detail, detail" is spot on....so I would strongly recommend you experiment with cables (including mains cables), once the system has settled in ie. Brands like Vertere, TQ, Atlas (try some Mavros) and possibly Cardas.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
:cheers: I'm very happy for you, Matt! Certainly you didn't decide lightly! Enjoy!

Cheers, Doc. I've been working on this for the best part of six months. I'm as confident as I can be that I've made the right decision.

:cheers:

Matt

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
You won't upset me as I'm all too well aware of the shortcommings of the 35i.

Given how much you like the Devialet, I think you have made the right decision.....especially if you go with the type of musical speakers you have been pairing it with. I would encourage you to also try it with some Kef R Series (if you haven't already - can't remember).

Your comment about "detail, detail" is spot on....so I would strongly recommend you experiment with cables (including mains cables), once the system has settled in ie. Brands like Vertere, TQ, Atlas (try some Mavros) and possibly Cardas.

Thanks, Cno! Your advice has been invaluable. Lots and lots of listening ...

Your points about cables etc are duly noted.

Matt

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Matt.. have a listen to the AMS 35i when fully warmed up and the Devialet for a long period before making any judgement.

Thanks, Iceman. I did have the AMS35i on demo at home for a week. I also did two auditions at my local dealer. I think I've given the AMS35i a fair crack of the whip. It's a superb amp, but the Dev just sneeks in ahead (for me) thanks to its profound transparency and functionality.

Matt

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi Matt,

Excellent news, really pleased for you... obviously, not having heard it, I can't make any informed comment about the Devialet, but feel I do know the kind of SQ and functionality you have been looking for and from what you've said about the 170, it sure sounds like the amp for you.

Would you be considering the Cremona Auditor's for the speakers?

Mac

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Macspur said:
Hi Matt,

Excellent news, really pleased for you... obviously, not having heard it, I can't make any informed comment about the Devialet, but feel I do know the kind of SQ and functionality you have been looking for and from what you've said about the 170, it sure sounds like the amp for you.

Would you be considering the Cremona Auditor's for the speakers?

Mac

Cheers, Mac!

I'm very grateful for all your help. You must hear the Devialet sometime soon: I think/hope you'll like it.

As for speakers, I need to take a step back and start all over again. The Sonus Fabers sound great, but there's a whole world of speakers out there. I plan to start demoing when I get back from holiday at the end of August. New speakers in place by Christmas?

Matt

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm plagiarizing this comment from PFM because I think it's of interest and may partly explain why Devialet sounds so good (though I don't fully understand all the implications of it):

"The Devialet is much like a Quad current dumper, with the dumper stage replaced with a Class D stage. This is very cunning as it solves major Class D failings. The switching residue of the main power stage is cancelled by feedback through the Class A stage. With the switching noise absent, there is no longer a need for a passive output filter; and without a passive output filter, there is no longer this annoying dependency of the system frequency response on the actual speaker impedance. Really smart thinking, and at the same time a homage to the great analogue amplifier designers of the 70s."

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I'm plagiarizing this comment from PFM because I think it's of interest and may partly explain why Devialet sounds so good (though I don't fully understand all the implications of it):

"The Devialet is much like a Quad current dumper, with the dumper stage replaced with a Class D stage. This is very cunning as it solves major Class D failings. The switching residue of the main power stage is cancelled by feedback through the Class A stage. With the switching noise absent, there is no longer a need for a passive output filter; and without a passive output filter, there is no longer this annoying dependency of the system frequency response on the actual speaker impedance. Really smart thinking, and at the same time a homage to the great analogue amplifier designers of the 70s."

Doesn't mean a thing to me... sure it doesn't make any difference to the sound anyway! they all sound the same, don't they?

smiley-smile.gif

Mac

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

Yes, this struck me as a nicely expressed version of more rebarbative explanations that I've read elsewhere, though like Mac I couldn't say I fully understand it. Anyway I do know that the Dev sounds awesome -- or should I say it sounds just as good as my fully transparent £50 Argos system.

Matt

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
CnoEvil said:

Yes, this struck me as a nicely expressed version of more rebarbative explanations that I've read elsewhere, though like Mac I couldn't say I fully understand it. Anyway I do know that the Dev sounds awesome -- or should I say it sounds just as good as my fully transparent £50 Argos system.

Matt

smiley-laughing.gif

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
Anyway I do know that the Dev sounds awesome -- or should I say it sounds just as good as my fully transparent £50 Argos system.

Matt

No Argos dealers in Belgium :cry:...

But if you say the Devialet is just as good, I might get one of those! :)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
matt49 said:
Anyway I do know that the Dev sounds awesome -- or should I say it sounds just as good as my fully transparent £50 Argos system.

Matt

No Argos dealers in Belgium :cry:...

But if you say the Devialet is just as good, I might get one of those! :)

No Argos, bummer!

Maybe you should get one of those Marantz or Denon clock radios that are so highly regarded on here?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Oooh, these look nice too! They even have a battery, so no need for a powerline conditioner or balanced mains supply! But I can't find the frequency response of the inbuilt speaker... And it lacks the Devialet's nice remote... Ahhh, choices, choices!

CL-1470.jpg

bonzo75

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi, some people have said that Devialet does not do well when impedance level drops below 4 ohms. How do I test that? I am auditioning them with Logans probably this weekend, so while playing a song, how do I test a drop in the impedance

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Finally pulled the trigger. A Devialet 110 it is! I just ordered one, and it should arrive in the shop in one to two weeks.

Speaker hunt coming up (standmounters, decent bass, close to front wall)! The PMC Twenty.22 and the Neat Momentum 3i are already on the menu. My dealer promised to try and get a pair of Audio Note AN-Js too, but those seem very hard to find, here in the Low Countries.

I'll then have to visit some more dealers for other options (SF, Vivid V1w, Guru QM10, Diapason Adamantes are on my list).

All other speaker suggestions very welcome; that goes without saying!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts