The Devialet thread

Page 41 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
Hi Matt, I was getting some distortion on a couple of tracks that previously sounded wonderful (London Grammar 'Hey Now' from 'If You wait', for example). - At first I thought the issue was with my speakers, but the distortion disappeared with SAM off. I reported it to Devialet and they emailed me back saying that they too could replicate the fault and that the issue was with SAM. Anyway, since the firmware update everything sounds great. - In fact I think SAM V2 sounds better than V1.

I cannot fault Devialet. This is a product that just keeps on giving. If only every company was like this!

(Cannot wait to start fiddling about with all the goodies in store when I get my turntable!).

Wow, that really is responsive!

And with this post the thread reaches 1000 replies, and with no silly arguing either.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
Infiniteloop said:
Hi Matt, I was getting some distortion on a couple of tracks that previously sounded wonderful (London Grammar 'Hey Now' from 'If You wait', for example). - At first I thought the issue was with my speakers, but the distortion disappeared with SAM off. I reported it to Devialet and they emailed me back saying that they too could replicate the fault and that the issue was with SAM. Anyway, since the firmware update everything sounds great. - In fact I think SAM V2 sounds better than V1.

I cannot fault Devialet. This is a product that just keeps on giving. If only every company was like this!

(Cannot wait to start fiddling about with all the goodies in store when I get my turntable!).

Wow, that really is responsive!

And with this post the thread reaches 1000 replies, and with no silly arguing either.

You can't argue with a Devialet!*acute*

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone got a view of how good the Phono stage is on a Devialet? - By all accounts it's very good (I haven't used mine yet as I'm still pre-TT). I've been talking to Roksan about their Xerxes 20 plus. They've just upgraded all their Vinyl electronics, including a new reference Phono stage. Of course, I'm told by Roksan that although the Devialet is a good design, the Roksan is superior.

My dilemma is this:

The Xerxes needs a speed controller which can be purchased either separately or with the Phono stage included.

I know I'll need to listen to decide, but a bit of 'experience' advice would be useful.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Very limited experience on my part. I had a Michell Orbe on loan for a week or two last summer. It sounded superb, and the phono stage was easy to program. Now that the phono settings can be adjusted in real time, I find it hard to imagine how an analog phono stage could better the Devialet's.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
Very limited experience on my part. I had a Michell Orbe on loan for a week or two last summer. It sounded superb, and the phono stage was easy to program. Now that the phono settings can be adjusted in real time, I find it hard to imagine how an analog phono stage could better the Devialet's.

My thoughts too....

Other than the benefits of Roksan synergy.

Cheers Matt.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I’ve had a pair of Silver Phantoms for over a month now, and I’ve got used to their sound and their various quirks. Let’s deal with the quirks first.

There are three ways of supplying the Phantoms with a signal: 1. via a streaming service: I use Qobuz classical, and it integrates pretty well with the Phantoms; 2. from a PC: I’ve set mine up so that my NAS drive feeds the PC which in turn feeds the Phantoms, and this gives me access to all my locally stored music; and 3. via the optical SPDIF terminals on each Phantom and on the Dialog streaming box; I have a Sonos Connect plumbed in like this, which has the advantage of letting me use the Sonos interface, though I still use the Devialet Spark app for volume control.

There’s no discernible SQ difference between these three modes, which is as it should be.

One major issue I have is that I prefer to power down the Phantoms/Dialog when not in use. Every time I power them up again I have to go through a fiddly set-up routine, as if I were installing them from scratch. Apparently this isn’t right, so there may be a problem with my set-up. I’ve no idea what it is. This whole palaver is a real downer for me.

As for the sound, it’s considerably better than I was expecting, and better (in two respects) than anything I’ve heard at this price point (£3.5K). How so?

First, they do superb imaging. The separation of instruments is quite remarkable. They’re almost forensic in their ability to place an instrument in space and to separate it from other instruments. What gives them this uncanny ability is that the four drivers per speaker appear to be producing sound from a single point. The HF and mid-range drivers are arranged as concentric rings, and the two LF drivers sit on each side of the unit directly behind the concentric driver. Bearing in mind how small the Phantoms are – which contributes to the single-point source impression – it’s a remarkable feat of engineering to pack this much power into such a tiny format. Bravo!

The second trick is even more impressive. The bass is almost unnaturally fast and deep, so much so that it rather puts the dual 10” LF drivers in my Martin Logans to shame. This gives music an extraordinary sense of space and rhythm, the like of which I’ve not heard before. The music bounces along with such energy, and this doesn’t just apply to rock/pop stuff: classical music benefits from it too. Partly it’s the ability to render all the low-level spatial cues in a good recording. And partly it just rearranges the parts of the music so that they make more sense.

These speakers have changed the way I think about hi-fi. I still prefer my Martin Logans. I haven’t heard anything that could beat them. But at their price point the Phantoms are quite remarkable. If only I could switch them on and off with a single command …

*music2*

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
The bass is almost unnaturally fast and deep, so much so that it rather puts the dual 10” LF drivers in my Martin Logans to shame. This gives music an extraordinary sense of space and rhythm, the like of which I’ve not heard before. The music bounces along with such energy, and this doesn’t just apply to rock/pop stuff: classical music benefits from it too. Partly it’s the ability to render all the low-level spatial cues in a good recording. And partly it just rearranges the parts of the music so that they make more sense.

Would they come near a proper subwoofer in this respect? You know I'm toying with the idea to use a Phantom for sub-duties. Their tiny form factor would really work in their favour. Alternative would be a proper down-firing sub, that I can disguise as a coffee table...

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
matt49 said:
The bass is almost unnaturally fast and deep, so much so that it rather puts the dual 10” LF drivers in my Martin Logans to shame. This gives music an extraordinary sense of space and rhythm, the like of which I’ve not heard before. The music bounces along with such energy, and this doesn’t just apply to rock/pop stuff: classical music benefits from it too. Partly it’s the ability to render all the low-level spatial cues in a good recording. And partly it just rearranges the parts of the music so that they make more sense.

Would they come near a proper subwoofer in this respect? You know I'm toying with the idea to use a Phantom for sub-duties. Their tiny form factor would really work in their favour. Alternative would be a proper down-firing sub, that I can disguise as a coffee table...

They would perform as well as most subs, I think. They do 16Hz to 25kHz ± 2dB @ 82dB SPL, which is phenomenal. I know there are arguments to the effect that large, short-throw LF drivers are better: I think these speakers make the opposite case: small (i.e. rigid), long-throw drivers can have a more pistonic action, and hence less distortion.

Your problem would be integrating them with the rest of your system: there may be some latency issues, for instance. Maybe the DEQX can cope with this though?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
DocG said:
matt49 said:

They would perform as well as most subs, I think. They do 16Hz to 25kHz ± 2dB @ 82dB SPL, which is phenomenal. I know there are arguments to the effect that large, short-throw LF drivers are better: I think these speakers make the opposite case: small (i.e. rigid), long-throw drivers can have a more pistonic action, and hence less distortion.

Your problem would be integrating them with the rest of your system: there may be some latency issues, for instance. Maybe the DEQX can cope with this though?

Latency shouldn't be the problem. I'm just not sure if I can use the DEQX's analogue outs (for the NCores - Maggies) together with a digital out for the Phantom. Maybe I'd better use an ADC. Does the Dialog sport an analogue in? It doesn't, does it?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
matt49 said:
DocG said:
matt49 said:

Latency shouldn't be the problem. I'm just not sure if I can use the DEQX's analogue outs (for the NCores - Maggies) together with a digital out for the Phantom. Maybe I'd better use an ADC. Does the Dialog sport an analogue in? It doesn't, does it?

No, the only ports are ethernet and SPDIF optical. ADC seems the way to go.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, I contacted my dealer to ask when he expects the Phantoms in his shop. Surprise! For now, he has no plans to take them in! He keeps the Expert range... But no Phantoms.*shok*

I'll have to start looking around again....

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
Hmmm, I contacted my dealer to ask when he expects the Phantoms in his shop. Surprise! For now, he has no plans to take them in! He keeps the Expert range... But no Phantoms.*shok*

I'll have to start looking around again....

My local dealer in London is taking the same view: he reckons the Phantoms just aren't ready yet, and I can see his point. But ...

A week has passed since I last used the Phantoms, and in the meantime the set-up nightmare has vanished. Devialet have issued a software upgrade which means that the Phantoms can now be powered off and on again without having to go through the set-up rigmarole.

My other gripe has also been fixed. After being powered off the Phantoms used to ‘forget’ the Sonos Connect that’s feeding them via optical SPDIF. It wasn’t hard to ‘remind’ them of it, but it was one more little obstacle to enjoying the music.

The only problem I have now is a couple of nasty bass modes that need taming somehow. The only solution I can see ATM is to slot a DSPeaker Anti-Mode in. That's a project for next year, when I expect the DSPeaker in my main system to become redundant, as MDAC2 will contain a DSP EQ solution.

The Phantoms really are spectacular though. Not exactly cheap, but remarkable compared to the competition in the £3K to £10K bracket.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi

I took delivery of a Devialet LE200 today and just wanted to share a few points with those who may be interested and care to comment.

The dealer had already configured it for me to be able to use a CDP and the Sonos via coaxial, so getting started was pretty straightforward.

However, I did struggle with the remote somewhat, as some of you know I'm blind and all commands given via the RC are screen based, but I think I've mastered that to an extent. The other issue I have, in my current set up I have a mini disc recorder/player and a CD recorder which I do use quite a lot, but the 200 doesn't appear to have enough inputs... is there another way of connecting these units other than via phono?

One other point, should SAM be on 100% or doesn't it matter.

Cheers

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Electro said:
Hi Mac,

I can't help you with your questions but I would love to know what you think of the Devaliet and how it compares to other amps you have owned .

Hi Electro,

Well, when I bought the E350 about 3 years ago, I really didn't see myself ever buying another make of amp... the only reason and it's a big one, for not jumping at buying the Devialet, is the limiting factor of me not being able to independantly eutalizing all its functions.

For instance on the Accuphase with the tone controls I can physically feel at which level the base/treble is... of course I can hear it on the 200, but it's as much a mental thing as anything and not being able to see the levels rise or decrease bugs me and plus I'm not sure, until I get my own unit, if I will be able to use the Configurator.

SQ wise, it's the most neutral amplifier I've ever heard, crystal clear. I'm using a Coaxial connection between the EMC1UP and the Devialet and it is superb. If I do go ahead with the purchase, I will use the EAS/EBU cable which is supposed to be even better.

I spoke to Matt49 earlier and got some advice from Singslinger also and we think it may be possible to configure 4 of the connections for either the mini disc or CDR, I'm waiting to hear from the dealer to confirm if it's definitely possible.

Got a few more days to make my mind up, so I'll keep you posted.

Mac

Macspur said:
Electro said:
Hi Mac,

I can't help you with your questions but I would love to know what you think of the Devaliet and how it compares to other amps you have owned .

Hi Electro,

Well, when I bought the E350 about 3 years ago, I really didn't see myself ever buying another make of amp... the only reason and it's a big one, for not jumping at buying the Devialet, is the limiting factor of me not being able to independantly eutalizing all its functions.

For instance on the Accuphase with the tone controls I can physically feel at which level the base/treble is... of course I can hear it on the 200, but it's as much a mental thing as anything and not being able to see the levels rise or decrease bugs me and plus I'm not sure, until I get my own unit, if I will be able to use the Configurator.

SQ wise, it's the most neutral amplifier I've ever heard, crystal clear. I'm using a Coaxial connection between the EMC1UP and the Devialet and it is superb. If I do go ahead with the purchase, I will use the EAS/EBU cable which is supposed to be even better.

I spoke to Matt49 earlier and got some advice from Singslinger also and we think it may be possible to configure 4 of the connections for either the mini disc or CDR, I'm waiting to hear from the dealer to confirm if it's definitely possible.

Mac

Hi Mac.

Interested to know from your point of view: Given you say the Dav is more neutral than the Accuphase, I know it's early days yet, do you think musically it is geared for long listening sessions?

A lot further down the chain the Cyrus 8VS2, in my set-up, wasn't really suitable for long sessions, yet the Arcam was. The Cyrus was more neutral but the Arcam was better over longer periods.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Macspur said:
Electro said:
Hi Mac,

Hi Electro,

Mac

Hi Mac.

Interested to know from your point of view: Given you say the Dav is more neutral than the Accuphase, I know it's early days yet, do you think musically it is geared for long listening sessions?

A lot further down the chain the Cyrus 8VS2, in my set-up, wasn't really suitable for long sessions, yet the Arcam was. The Cyrus was more neutral but the Arcam was better over longer periods.

PP, it's a good question... although the Devialet is so neutral, it's no way fatiguing and the thing is, you can always tinker with tone controls to adjust to a preferred balance of SQ

to be honest it's not a night and day difference between the Accuphase and the 200, they are both top top quality amps, but the Devialet is beautifully crafted, a stunning piece of engineering housed in such a relatively sleek and small body and has the best remote I've ever handled.

I just wish I could use all it's functions independantly without having to trouble Mrs Mac.

I've been listening to the Devialet solidly for the last couple of days, so I'm now going to hook the Accuphase back up to do a closer comparison.

Mac

It must be five years or so since I heard the first Dev, before they had a variety of models. I recalled that when you write about how neutral it seemed. I remember thinking it simply sounded like (the old Quad adage) straight wire with gain. In effect, no identifiable character.

I've still never heard anything less audible, if you get my drift, including the super high-end Audio Research G series. Were money no object I'd maybe choose the AR for looks, but by comparison the Devialet is almost a bargain - with phono preamp and DAC included.

Looking forward to your decision. Good luck!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Setting aside the issues I face operating the 200, well, almost immediately after plugging the E350 back in and pressing play, I knew I wouldn't be keeping the Devialet.

Playing Jennifer Warnes "Ballad of the Runaway Horse" To my ears it was digging out more detail, small nuances that I didn't notice with the 200 and most of all I find the Accuphase more emotionally involving.

I take nothing away from Devialet owners, they really do have a fine and incredibly intuitive piece of kit to their name.

Just have to break the news to the dealer now.

Mac

Macspur said:
Setting aside the issues I face operating the 200, well, almost immediately after plugging the E350 back in and pressing play, I knew I wouldn't be keeping the Devialet.

Playing Jennifer Warnes "Ballad of the Runaway Horse" To my ears it was digging out more detail, small nuances that I didn't notice with the 200 and most of all I find the Accuphase more emotionally involving.

I take nothing away from Devialet owners, they really do have a fine and incredibly intuitive piece of kit to their name.

Mac

Mac, I was just about to get my cheque book out. I have a thing (oh, Matron) for dancing VU meters. *good*

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Macspur said:

Mac

Mac, I was just about to get my cheque book out. I have a thing (oh, Matron) for dancing VU meters. *good*

Lol! must admit, had quite a bit of interest in the E350, but looks like she's staying for now.

Mac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts