Holy mackerel! Devialet are trickling down!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
DocG said:
Finally pulled the trigger. A Devialet 110 it is! I just ordered one, and it should arrive in the shop in one to two weeks.

Speaker hunt coming up (standmounters, decent bass, close to front wall)! The PMC Twenty.22 and the Neat Momentum 3i are already on the menu. My dealer promised to try and get a pair of Audio Note AN-Js too, but those seem very hard to find, here in the Low Countries.

I'll then have to visit some more dealers for other options (SF, Vivid V1w, Guru QM10, Diapason Adamantes are on my list).

All other speaker suggestions very welcome; that goes without saying!

You (or Matt) should now start a Devialet Thread, so prospective buyers can see how you both get on with speaker matching and get general feedback..

As well as Audio Note, check out JM Reynaud speakers as well.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
Finally pulled the trigger. A Devialet 110 it is! I just ordered one, and it should arrive in the shop in one to two weeks.

Speaker hunt coming up (standmounters, decent bass, close to front wall)! The PMC Twenty.22 and the Neat Momentum 3i are already on the menu. My dealer promised to try and get a pair of Audio Note AN-Js too, but those seem very hard to find, here in the Low Countries.

I'll then have to visit some more dealers for other options (SF, Vivid V1w, Guru QM10, Diapason Adamantes are on my list).

Excellent move, Doc!

What have you heard the Dev 110 with so far? Some Harbeth M30.1s, I seem to recall. Anything else?

:cheers:

Matt

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
DocG said:

You (or Matt) should now start a Devialet Thread, so prospective buyers can see how you both get on with speaker matching and get general feedback..

As well as Audio Note, check out JM Reynaud speakers as well.

I couldn't find a dealer anywhere near yet, but being French speakers, they should be available in Brussels or Wallonia. Some more homework to be done. Would they be comfortable close to the wall? If I recall correctly, they have no rear ports but transmission lines and they're rather easy to drive, so that looks like a good start.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:

I don't know how seriously you'd take my suggestion but you should check out JBL CBT 100LA-1 speakers. I know those are speakers aimed at pro market but they are more hi-fi than most (if not all) typical suspects in hi-fi world. check out pdf files; detailed spec sheet and CBT tech note for more info why you should even bother to look in this direction.

cons? you'll need a sub (or even better a pair) to fill in output gap below 100Hz.

pros? just check freq response graphs and polar pattern graphs in spec sheet pdf (note little or no side lobes in broad setting over entire freq spectrum and how little freq response changes off axis in horizontal axis - meaning veeeeeery wide sweet spot ) and then read about how CBT technology is better than essentially everything else that's available ATM. the biggest strength of a CBT array is the fact that you get very even frequency response in room regardless where you'd take measurements and the freq response essentially don't change with position where you take measurements. that means no DSP processing whatsoever! besides DSP will only improve measurements in one measured position.

the speakers themselves are rather inobtusive 10cm wide and 15 cm deep but since they are a line array they are 100cm long. another advantage is they should be wall-mounted for optimum performance. and they are easy to drive true 8 Ohm load. plus they are quite sensitive - 90dB in the broad music mode (the one that should be used in an apartment).

I'm so excited with this CBT technology that I'll be planning to try those speakers myself. I just need to confirm with JBL that they can be used in room with no compromise in performance (they are suggested also for conference rooms so I suppose a normal room should be OK as well, but that is just my guess). if you check the net for CBT you'll definitely find another speaker - CBT36, which is definitely to be used in room. but the necessity for it to be mated with a digital xover (like DEQX HDP-4, Ground Sound DCN28 or Behringer DCX2496) and a pair of power amps (no passive version available) makes the whole project a bit too bulky to accomplish.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
DocG said:
I couldn't find a dealer anywhere near yet, but being French speakers, they should be available in Brussels or Wallonia. Some more homework to be done. Would they be comfortable close to the wall? If I recall correctly, they have no rear ports but transmission lines and they're rather easy to drive, so that looks like a good start.

If you haven't seen it, there is some good insight on Audio Note and JM Reynaud here: http://www.amherstaudio.com/

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
Excellent move, Doc!

What have you heard the Dev 110 with so far? Some Harbeth M30.1s, I seem to recall. Anything else?

Matt

Cheers, Matt!

I heard the D Premier with Harbeth (M30.1 and - mostly - Compact 7) and Devore (Gibbon 3XL), but those combos didn't sound convincing. I somehow blame the amp (faulty settings?) here. That's why I chose another dealer, where I could hear the 110 too. The 110 was demoed with the B&W PM1 (nice!) and the Monitor Audio PL-100 (more refined - nicer!).

So once I have my 110, I might go back to hear the M30.1 -- I really liked them with the LFD amp earlier on.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
DocG said:

I don't know how seriously you'd take my suggestion but you should check out JBL CBT 100LA-1 speakers. I know those are speakers aimed at pro market but they are more hi-fi than most (if not all) typical suspects in hi-fi world. check out pdf files; detailed spec sheet and CBT tech note for more info why you should even bother to look in this direction.

cons? you'll need a sub (or even better a pair) to fill in output gap below 100Hz.

pros? just check freq response graphs and polar pattern graphs in spec sheet pdf (note little or no side lobes in broad setting over entire freq spectrum and how little freq response changes off axis in horizontal axis - meaning veeeeeery wide sweet spot ) and then read about how CBT technology is better than essentially everything else that's available ATM. the biggest strength of a CBT array is the fact that you get very even frequency response in room regardless where you'd take measurements and the freq response essentially don't change with position where you take measurements. that means no DSP processing whatsoever! besides DSP will only improve measurements in one measured position.

the speakers themselves are rather inobtusive 10cm wide and 15 cm deep but since they are a line array they are 100cm long. another advantage is they should be wall-mounted for optimum performance. and they are easy to drive true 8 Ohm load. plus they are quite sensitive - 90dB in the broad music mode (the one that should be used in an apartment).

I'm so excited with this CBT technology that I'll be planning to try those speakers myself. I just need to confirm with JBL that they can be used in room with no compromise in performance (they are suggested also for conference rooms so I suppose a normal room should be OK as well, but that is just my guess). if you check the net for CBT you'll definitely find another speaker - CBT36, which is definitely to be used in room. but the necessity for it to be mated with a digital xover (like DEQX HDP-4, Ground Sound DCN28 or Behringer DCX2496) and a pair of power amps (no passive version available) makes the whole project a bit too bulky to accomplish.

OMG, Oldric! These look fascinating. My wife - and my architect - would love the wallmountable JBLs. The need for a sub is a con though, indeed. More so because the Dev 110 has no sub-out (whereas the 170 and 240 do). But I guess a speaker-level connection must be feasible. Now, before I get too excited: any idea of their retail price?

I'm even more intrigued by the CBT36 (not for this application with the Dev -- I can't house floorstanders in that room -- but for our future living room). As you might recall, I already consider an active set-up, with the DEQX as digital XO (http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/panel-speakers-actives-class-a-or-could-i-have-it-all-and-more). These speakers would fit in nicely, without the need for a sub -- 45 Hz looks good enough. They look elegant and not too vast, have the widest sweet spot imaginable, don't have issues with solid floors (or side wals, or ceilings). And they cost <$2000 each. Evident con: can't be auditioned so I'd have to buy them blind.

But a very intriguing path, for sure! Thanks!

BTW: I didn't get to hear the new Final ESLs yet. Still no demo pair in Belgium. Mr. Rapoport promised they'd be here by September. I'll keep you posted should they finally (pun intended) arrive. :)

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
DocG said:

If you haven't seen it, there is some good insight on Audio Note and JM Reynaud here: http://www.amherstaudio.com/

Thanks, Cno! The Offrande Supreme v2 looks gorgeous (appearance ànd specs!). Any idea on the (European) price level?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
DocG said:
CnoEvil said:
DocG said:

Thanks, Cno! The Offrande Supreme v2 looks gorgeous (appearance ànd specs!). Any idea on the (European) price level?

Standmount €2999: http://www.hifissimo.com/enceinte-bibliotheque.html

Floorstander (Orfeo Supreme) €3749: http://www.hifissimo.com/enceinte-colonne.html

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:
OMG, Oldric! These look fascinating.

thanks Doc. you're probably the only person on this forum who could even consider looking at more leftfield options. if you're interested CBT technology I'd recommend you could check my thread on CBT and also there's a lot of white paper on Audio Artistry website regarding CBT. as you can see there's a lot of theoretical thinking and mathematical modeling behind CBT that's why it works as advertised.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that another very positive trait of those 100LA-1s is they are very dynamic. I mean 120dB peaks!? lack of such dynamic envelope is probably the biggest caveat I have with my panels. sure, they sound very nice but they always fail to fully convey the full drama of a symphonic orchestra. panels do micro dynamics very well, but I wish they did micro - macro dynamic transits better.

also worth of note is that 100LA-1s are made up of only full range drivers. that means no pesky xover in the signal path. sure there's still plenty of passive electronic componentry inside to fulfill CBT requirements (time delay and amplitude shading of outermost drivers) but no xover whatsoever.

DocG said:
Now, before I get too excited: any idea of their retail price?

quick search shows they are yours for ca. $900 per speaker. but can be had for less if you shop around; for instance here. you know, with players of JBL size you get a lot good from economies of scale.

DocG said:
I'm even more intrigued by the CBT36 (not for this application with the Dev -- I can't house floorstanders in that room -- but for our future living room). As you might recall, I already consider an active set-up, with the DEQX as digital XO (http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/panel-speakers-actives-class-a-or-could-i-have-it-all-and-more). These speakers would fit in nicely, without the need for a sub -- 45 Hz looks good enough. They look elegant and not too vast, have the widest sweet spot imaginable, don't have issues with solid floors (or side wals, or ceilings). And they cost <$2000 each.

the funny thing with those speakers is they are meant to be placed on reflective ground to work right :).

but don't forget what you're getting is a kit. so you'll have to put the whole thing together, which means: painting the cabinet (will come assembled), testing and fixing the drivers and cabling.

edit: it's worth noting the JBL's CBT range is based on work of the guy behind CBT36.

DocG said:
Evident con: can't be auditioned so I'd have to buy them blind.

well, it seems they are only available to behold in US at some hi-fi shows. this is a very niche product so don't expect them to be seen in every household. besides the speakers are sold only in kit form so no chance to have them at any dealer. but the good news is; every show report on those speakers that I could find so far is unanimously positive and confirms they work as advertised - no off axis freq variations, unchanged sound throughout the room, wide soundstage. I believe that means something.

DocG said:
BTW: I didn't get to hear the new Final ESLs yet. Still no demo pair in Belgium. Mr. Rapoport promised they'd be here by September. I'll keep you posted should they finally (pun intended) arrive. :)

thanks Doc. looking forward to reading your impressions.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

Cno, good idea.

@DocG should we do this? I'll have a few speaker demos to report on soon, though unfortunately my Dev won't be arriving until third week of Sept at the earliest. Since the 110 and 170 will share the same basic sonic character (i.e. no character at all!), it would make sense to pool our experience, nicht wahr?

Matt

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

Floorstander (Orfeo Supreme) €3749: http://www.hifissimo.com/enceinte-colonne.html

Are those prices per speaker ("prix unitaire" on the website you refer to)? I could stretch my budget, but for that kind of money, they shouldn't be any less than absolutely stunning! And they seem to be rather large (42 cm deep!). Did you hear them yourself?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
CnoEvil said:

Cno, good idea.

@DocG should we do this? I'll have a few speaker demos to report on soon, though unfortunately my Dev won't be arriving until third week of Sept at the earliest. Since the 110 and 170 will share the same basic sonic character (i.e. no character at all!), it would make sense to pool our experience, nicht wahr?

Matt

That's a good idea indeed. We could start by linking to the existing threads (this one, your 170-speakers thread), and then go on from there. D'accord?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
DocG said:
CnoEvil said:

Are those prices per speaker ("prix unitaire" on the website you refer to)? I could stretch my budget, but for that kind of money, they shouldn't be any less than absolutely stunning! And they seem to be rather large (42 cm deep!). Did you hear them yourself?

I have no idea, but I thought they looked a bit cheap, so that might explain it. :doh: .......it took me a fair bit of nosing about to find out that much.

I have not heard them as they are not available in the UK, let alone NI. I came across them when checking out Audio Note and liked what I read, so I would be very interested if you get to hear some.

It's a great pity that Alex and Rob have stopped documenting their excellent adventures, as we could have sent them on a mission!

:poke: Just get some Blades and have done! :read:
evil.png

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
Chaps, the new Devialet thread is up and running: a one-stop-shop for ALL things related to Devialet. (I can see this is going to be a bit like herding cats ...)

Matt

Hmm, matching is OK. If we administer the right immunesuppression, a transplantation is feasible. Let's give it a try! :)

TRENDING THREADS