Holy mackerel! Devialet are trickling down!

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I accidentally stumbled into the Devialet website tonight. There happens to be some news to be had there. The D Premier is rebranded Devialet 240, and is now accompanied by two smaller siblings, the 110 and 170 (the figure refers to the wattage into 6 Ohm of each amp).

The new range still incorporates the AIR wireless streamer and a host of digital and analogue inputs but now also sports a RJ45 and USB port (something Devialet's Thierry Massoubre renounced in an e-mail just 6 months ago). All digital data (also the SPDIF) are synched to the master clock (Bye bye jitter! Hi there, cheap BDP!).

The streamer (a paid option for the 110 and 170) now also handles the likes of Spotify, Deezer, YouTube and what have you. And better news still: this AIR option is available at 1 EUR until the end of September (that might be 1 £ for the UK), instead of the normal 1000 EUR.

There's apps for iOS and Android too now.

And in the foreseeable future, a room correction protocol will be included in the DSP engine.

I think I'll arrange a demo in the near future! :dance:

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I had a chance to listen to the D-Premier once on the end of Wilson Audio Sashas. I must say the "mirror" looks stunning in situ. But this is about all good I can say about the combo... however, there's a very favorable review on Stereophile. maybe you'd find it to your liking too. however, you be warned this amp will reduce your speaker pool considerably. it doesn't like impedance dips below 4 Ohms.

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
When I personally heard the D Premier, I was blown away by sheer transparency of it.

Though I did prefer a Naim separates approach, but then again, the Devialet was shockingly close... I personally think these new adds might be even better!

Looks like Hi Fi has just got its Apple Inc.!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
John Duncan said:
bigboss said:
I haven't seen you around for a while JD! Nice to see you back. :)

Hello BB :wave: Yes, been a bit busy building this but has calmed down a bit now.

Looks a lot more fruitful than being on here!.......though saying that, your absence was noticed and presence was missed. :grin:

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
However, you be warned this amp will reduce your speaker pool considerably. it doesn't like impedance dips below 4 Ohms.

Hi Oldric, I take it you hint to JA's conclusion in the measurement section of his review: "Other than its slightly anomalous behavior via WiFi, the Devialet D-Premier's measured performance is a testament to what can be obtained with switching-amplifier technology. However, sustained high-power operation into speakers with an impedance of 4 ohms or below is best avoided."

On the Devialet website on the other hand, it says: "Compatible with any 2 to 8Ω speaker". Is that quote not backed-up by the facts? Or is it just the really low impedances that it doesn't like? It won't match ESLs, that I understand. But Devialet confirmed me their amps can drive Magnepans.

Could you comment? (BTW, feel free to comment on the whole measurement section of the review; it's all Chinese to me...)

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
WishTree said:
Good Find!

It looks 170 has the right sweet spot from the detailed specs as well as price point! One day this and Vivid Audio G3 (may be G4 by then ;) ) !!!

Hi WishTree,

Yeah, frankly I never dared to have a listen (though the dealer is at walking distance from my work), afraid I might have liked it - the D Premier is just too expensive to my standards. But with the trickle-down models, I'm tempted...

Changing subject, are you still happy with the Stradas? I'm anxious to hear a pair, but there is just no demo anywhere near (I mean not less than 240 km from where I live...).

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:
oldric_naubhoff said:
However, you be warned this amp will reduce your speaker pool considerably. it doesn't like impedance dips below 4 Ohms.

Hi Oldric, I take it you hint to JA's conclusion in the measurement section of his review: "Other than its slightly anomalous behavior via WiFi, the Devialet D-Premier's measured performance is a testament to what can be obtained with switching-amplifier technology. However, sustained high-power operation into speakers with an impedance of 4 ohms or below is best avoided."

yes.

DocG said:
On the Devialet website on the other hand, it says: "Compatible with any 2 to 8Ω speaker". Is that quote not backed-up by the facts? Or is it just the really low impedances that it doesn't like? It won't match ESLs, that I understand. But Devialet confirmed me their amps can drive Magnepans.

I'm afraid so. there's a very interesting entry in the comments section below the review:

After some very good 1st impressions on sound quality driving "conventional" speakers (impedance curve not bellow 2-3 Ohm) I was curious to audition the D-Premier with my Martin Logan Summit X speakers. Sound quality is very good, until I pumped up the volume. At about 85db, the protection LED on the front panel starts blinking and the amp starts to mute.

I have reported this problem to Devialet and they say it should not happen, but my dealer had the same experience with other D-Premier units driving other Martin Logan models (Montis, Spire, CLX).

My guess is that this amp technology is simply not designed to drive impedance loads like the ones present in Martin Logan speakers, which drop bellow 1 Ohm in the high frequencies.

therefore I would rule out ESLs but lower range Magnepans shouldn't be a problem. however, I would be caucious with higher range Magnepans again as they are a resistive (meaning steady) 3.5 Ohm load above 4k Hz...

DocG said:
Could you comment? (BTW, feel free to comment on the whole measurement section of the review; it's all Chinese to me...)

the measurements look OK. I can't really fault them with two exceptions:

1. THD vs power: note how high THD reaches at low powers. 100mW should translate to some 70dB in room which will sound already loud. expect even higher THD figures for lower volume levels.

2. those THD graphs would suggest the amp uses very high levels of global negative feedback loop to lower THD figures (and gain other advantages). I never fully trust such designs. the measurements are taken when amp is driving a steady sinewave. but music is anything but steady sinewave. if the NFB loop has to be effective at what it does you need a "fast" circuitry or the output will not be compared to input. I can't tell if Devialet has such a fast circuitry. I'd personally trust a circuitry which is linear without resorting to high levels of NFB to measure well. I believe such is a good design philosophy.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
DocG said:
Changing subject, are you still happy with the Stradas? I'm anxious to hear a pair, but there is just no demo anywhere near (I mean not less than 240 km from where I live...).

In my head, 170 after few months and at a good bragain price will be a keeper, IMO. I love the concept of streamer, DAC and pre into one box (which is what I am doing with Oppo 105 - and this is the best way to ensure all is in place and no special tuning is needed). If you also add a capable Power amp to it then there is nothing not to like in it!!

Strada - IMO, it is an engineering marvel, above 200HZ, the sound is truly transparent and is shockingly close some much more expensive speakers I have heard. Also, I must warn you, if you are not used Magnepan or other non boxy speakers then these come as a very different sound. It took me time to appreciate what they are doing. Though the speakers claim to go above 80HZ, I think there is not so much steam upto 200HZ. High frequency sounds very similar to KEF 201/2 which I had for some time (and those would be my preferred box speakers)

Do listen to them possibly with a home demo atleast for a week. Now there is a newer version with more efficient design as you really need a powerful amp for original versions to make them very loud. I would pair these with Pathos amplifications if possible to make them sing really well :)

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
WishTree said:
DocG said:

Strada - IMO, it is an engineering marvel, above 200HZ, the sound is truly transparent and is shockingly close some much more expensive speakers I have heard. Also, I must warn you, if you are not used Magnepan or other non boxy speakers then these come as a very different sound. It took me time to appreciate what they are doing. Though the speakers claim to go above 80HZ, I think there is not so much steam upto 200HZ. High frequency sounds very similar to KEF 201/2 which I had for some time (and those would be my preferred box speakers)

That is good! So far, the only box speakers I liked were Harbeths (P3ESR, M30 and SHL5), my benchmark being Maggie 1.7s. Maybe I could contact the AG distributor directly (in the Netherlands), and ask for a home demo.

quad2905

May 17, 2013
Visit site
The D-Premier can do amazing things with some ESLs, at least.

I have Quad 2905s and was looking for an amplifier to reveal their full potential. Driven by the D-Premier they move onto a different planet and I was hooked from the first listen.

I bought one and have never looked back. I can easily drive the ESLs to full output (and beyond into protection) with the D-Premier output software limiter set at 80 WPC.

I'm happy to say that this system is the end of the road for me - no more upgrades, just wonderful music.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
quad2905 said:

I have Quad 2905s and was looking for an amplifier to reveal their full potential. Driven by the D-Premier they move onto a different planet and I was hooked from the first listen.

I bought one and have never looked back. I can easily drive the ESLs to full output (and beyond into protection) with the D-Premier output software limiter set at 80 WPC.

I'm happy to say that this system is the end of the road for me - no more upgrades, just wonderful music.

Thanks for sharing! I guess it all comes to the speakers' lowest impedance drop (which is 4 Ohm for the Quads, if I'm well informed). Sadly the 2905s are too large for my room...

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:
Thanks for sharing! I guess it all comes to the speakers' lowest impedance drop (which is 4 Ohm for the Quads, if I'm well informed). Sadly the 2905s are too large for my room...

yes, you are. Quad ESLs with concentric rings (which means all but the original 57s) have benign impedance plot due to ancillary delaying passive circuitry (resistors). but even the 57s fall to about 1 Ohm in high treble region, which is very natural for an ESL type speaker.

@ quad 2905; if you had Martin Logans, King Sound, Pio Sound or Sanders your Devialet wouldn't feel as comfortable.

quad2905

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Indeed, if I had other speakers, they may well not work as well with the D-Premier. But I don't and I likely never will - not after hearing how the 2905 enters the realms of the frankly jaw-dropping with this amplifier.

The 2905s arrived years before the D-Premier did and won't be leaving - except temporarily for the inevitable panel replacements at some point. So for me there was never any question of trying the D-Premier with other ESL manufacturers.

Each to their own (and the room space available!), but looking around internet fora there are several who are enjoying the magic of this combination.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
DocG said:
quad2905 said:

But the 2805s could fit, or the 2812s! And the Quad dealer is within reach! Ooh, demo time!

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Finally got to hearing the D Premier yesterday. Shooting from the hip, it's a mixed bag to me... Well, frankly I'm somewhat disappointed.

Most of the demo was through Harbeth Compact 7ES3s (though I thought it was the Monitor 30.1s :) ) and it sounded nice with 'simple' music, but when the mix got a little fuller (e.g. Rabih Abou Khalil's Sunrise in Montreal), it sounded flat and boxy. It was still very detailed, but the music was pale, anaemic (Is this what we call 'analytical'?).

We then swapped the Compact 7s for a pair of Devore Gibbon 3XLs. This combo sounded crisper and more detailed still [BigH or Outlaw, if you read this: the crickets on Roadhouses & Automobiles are joined by some twittering birds in the end!]. But it seriously lacked in the bass dept. And the Rabih Abou Khalil track still sounded congested. Weird detail was that I had to crank up the volume even higher (to 3 o'clock!) to get a moderate SPL. A 2 x 240 W amp firing up 90 dB speakers with a flat 8 Ohm impedance? These speakers were designed with SET amps in mind!

After I noticed the dealer's mistake with the Harbeths, we connected the M30.1s; they sounded a lot fuller than the Devores (obviously), and better than the Compact 7s, but not as I remember them (at the time on the end of a LFD integrated).

So what did I learn?

I think I'll go back to hear the D Premier with the big boys (SHL5, Guru Q60, Sony SS AR1), to hear what it is actually capable of.

And I want to hear the LFD - M30 combo again, to check if memory still serves me well!

TRENDING THREADS