The Devialet thread

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JohnnySix

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if anyone can advise on the rather irritating behaviour of the RF Remote knob that Devialet supply with their 110 + 170 models (I think it differs from the Premiere). Ever since I've had it, it's been nigh-on impossible to adjust the BASS and TREBLE settings in fine 0.5dB steps without overshooting (I'm not sure if it also affects Volume control; I have less need to make fine adjustments to that.)

What I mean is, if the Treble is currently set to 0.0db, and I want to move it to +0.5db, the knob will often rotate a great deal (say 2-3 inches) before the value suddenly shoots up by 1-2dB! It is frustrating trying to home in on a required value.

Would somebody please compare this with their 110/170 models, or try making individual, small adjustments, like I've described?

I know it's not the base unit because I once had a temporary replacement while my Dead-Devialet was back in France being repaired, and it behaved the same. (Bombproof they say? Not JohnProof.)

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi Johnny,

I haven't had this problem with my 170. A couple of weeks ago I played with the tone controls quite a bit, and I found it relatively easy to move by 0.5dB increments. OK, it requires a delicate hand on the knob (fnarr fnarr) because I reckon 0.5dB corresponds to a knob movement of c. 5 degrees. But it can be done.

For me the issue is that I can't see the window from my seat, so i have to get out of my chair (the horror!) to adjust the tone controls. I hope they'll make the tone controls accessible via the iThingy app.

:cheers:

Matt

JohnnySix

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Drat. As I feared. If anyone else can chip in I'd be grateful.

I agree about having to stand up to see the adjustments! Roll on a major Devialet App update.

SIMPLE SOLUTION: Wire up a webcam to point at the Devialet window and show it on the TV! Easy.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi Johnny, I'll look into it tonight and let you know.

There is a way around the display issue, and that is wall-mounting the amp. The thing is: the wall-mount kit is quite overpriced (399€ here, might be 399£ for you guys). You could indeed buy a very fancy webcam for that money!

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I've been sent three new mains cables for evaluation by Sablon Audio. They're versions of their Corona cable, specially designed to fit a Devialet.

As you'll know, practically all after-market mains cables are too bulky to fit under the Devialet's removable rear cover. And who wants to run their Dev with the rear cover off? I mean, get serious!

Now I have to say my position on after-market mains cables is one of pretty deep scepticism. Still, why not give it a try? (Cno, I hope you're reading this!) If these cables actually improve the sound, there'll be a certain amount of hat eating going on at the 49 house.

I have to say, testing mains cables is very difficult. What with powering down and resetting to the same volume, there's a gap of a minute of so between each trial. Not ideal. And there's no chance of my being able to test blind. So whatever 'results' I get from these trials will be very flaky.

:O

Matt

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matt49 said:
Now I have to say my position on after-market mains cables is one of pretty deep scepticism. Still, why not give it a try? (Cno, I hope you're reading this!) If these cables actually improve the sound, there'll be a certain amount of hat eating going on at the 49 house.

I have to say, testing mains cables is very difficult. What with powering down and resetting to the same volume, there's a gap of a minute of so between each trial. Not ideal. And there's no chance of my being able to test blind. So whatever 'results' I get from these trials will be very flaky.

:O

Matt

I'm here and watching with interest.

IME. If there is a decent difference, it is fairly obvious.....if you struggle to hear one, it's probably not worth the expense.

If you are not sure, then leave the after-market one on for a day or two, then see if anything is missing when you swap back. You have a very good ear, so trust it....it got you this far after all.

Good for you for making up your own mind, what ever the result is.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes, sage advice.

I have to say, having played about for a couple of hours this afternoon, it does look as though I may soon be afflicted by from some trilby-induced indigestion.

:oops:

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
JohnnySix said:
Drat. As I feared. If anyone else can chip in I'd be grateful.

I agree about having to stand up to see the adjustments! Roll on a major Devialet App update.

SIMPLE SOLUTION: Wire up a webcam to point at the Devialet window and show it on the TV! Easy.

Just gave it a try, and it all works flawlessly: +/- 0.5 dB steps for treble and bass; balance +/- 1 steps. No issues. Maybe you're too quick?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matt49 said:
Yes, sage advice.

I have to say, having played about for a couple of hours this afternoon, it does look as though I may soon be afflicted by from some trilby-induced indigestion.

:oops:

What differences are you hearing? Do the more expensive sound better, and if so, are they worth the extra?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
What differences are you hearing? Do the more expensive sound better, and if so, are they worth the extra?

What I think I'm hearing is an increase in general definition: detail and tonality are better defined, the imaging is more precise. Of course, I may be hearing no such thing.

According to their website, the standard version of this cable (i.e. not the Devialet version I'm trialling) costs USD550 (audible gulp). I've been given three different models to trial. I have no idea what the differences are between them and whether they'd cost different amounts. So far I haven't compared the three models with one another; I've just been swapping one of them with the stock mains cable that came with the Devialet.

I won't be doing any more listening this w/end -- too busy. But I'll report again next week.

Matt

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matt49 said:
CnoEvil said:

What I think I'm hearing is an increase in general definition: detail and tonality are better defined, the imaging is more precise. Of course, I may be hearing no such thing.

According to their website, the standard version of this cable (i.e. not the Devialet version I'm trialling) costs USD550 (audible gulp). I've been given three different models to trial. I have no idea what the differences are between them and whether they'd cost different amounts. So far I haven't compared the three models with one another; I've just been swapping one of them with the stock mains cable that came with the Devialet.

I won't be doing any more listening this w/end -- too busy. But I'll report again next week.

Matt

If you had heard those differences from a component, you wouldn't be so sceptical about what you think you are hearing.

IME. A p/c can make a surprising difference, unlikely as it may seem......anyway, I look forward to your more in depth assessment, when time allows.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
This article clicky may be of interest (if you can get past the rather gushing prose).

Devialet have teamed up with French speaker manufacturer Atohm to produce a system that uses the Dev's DSP for "speaker matching". I suppose this may be a (rather cautious) first public step towards implementation of room correction. It would be interesting to know more about how the DSP is being programmed.

The system is on demo at Devialet's HQ in Paris.

Matt

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
This article clicky may be of interest (if you can get past the rather gushing prose).

Devialet have teamed up with French speaker manufacturer Atohm to produce a system that uses the Dev's DSP for "speaker matching". I suppose this may be a (rather cautious) first public step towards implementation of room correction. It would be interesting to know more about how the DSP is being programmed.

The system is on demo at Devialet's HQ in Paris.

Matt

Good catch!

Atohm seem to have a dealer near Brussels, so it's tempting to try their GT1 standmounters. I'll drop them a mail, if the tailored Dev and the GT1 SE are available (not very likely, but you never know...).

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
Good catch!

Atohm seem to have a dealer near Brussels, so it's tempting to try their GT1 standmounters. I'll drop them a mail, if the tailored Dev and the GT1 SE are available (not very likely, but you never know...).

There's a piece about this by Paul Miller in the June issue of HFN+RR. (I haven't seen it yet.) Apparently Devialet have produced "speaker matching" packages for some Vivid and B&W models too.

I have to say this is all slightly unexpected. I'd assumed Devialet would roll out a fully user-programmable DSP system, perhaps using an adapted version of DRC or Acourate or Dirac. I can sort of see why they've gone down the speaker-matching route: presumably it'll be entirely plug 'n' play. Just select your speaker package, copy it onto your memory card, and you're good to go. I can also see the sense from a marketing point of view: this enables dealers to market Devialet as part of an integrated amp+speaker package.

On the other hand, there are a lot of speakers out there, and it's going to take Devialet an age to produce enough speaker matching packages to satisfy even half of the existing Devialet owners.

Matt

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
So, to summarize the piece in HFN+RR, the SAM system is designed to allow a Devialet to adapt its output voltage to the specific characteristics of a speaker’s bass performance up to 150Hz. SAM will run on one of the Devialet’s four DSP engines and will compute, in real time, the voltage output needed for the speaker to produce an acoustically accurate image of the input signal.

Paul Miller also gives a predictably glowing account of the performance of SAM with his B&W 802Ds.

The more I think about this, the less happy I am, from a purely selfish point of view of course. I suspect that the huge amount of work required to measure speaker performance will mean that a full implementation of room correction is firmly on the back burner. I hope I'm proved wrong about that. And I reckon it's unlikely my speakers will get the SAM treatment: after all, they have active subs. Though apparently we're going to be allowed to vote for our speakers on the Devialet website.

:?

Matt

quad2905

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I think this smacks of overengineering a solution to the wrong problem!

If Devialet merely allowed their users to use the configurator to specify a simple parametric EQ with 3-5 bands and adjustable Q then that would be more than adequate for room matching in probably 95% of cases. What is the point of them measuring my speakers in their rooms when the need for EQ is to tame <150Hz modes which are a product of the room/speaker interraction as much as the speakers themselves?

Looks like my DEQ is going to continue to see service upstream of my D1 for the forseeable future then - £150 of DSP sitting in front of £11k of amplifier!

I'm starting to get the impression that Devialet are morphing from a truly excellent engineering-led company with a world-beating product to something rather different. The new website is symbolic of this, where content seems to be taking second place to strange and confusing layout.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Today I had my first go at configuring the phono stage. And it works! My first attempt to set the parameters for a Sumiko Blackbird resulted in excellent sound. Well chuffed!

Matt

JohnnySix

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the responses about the RF remote control. Will have to contact Oxford Audio about it.

I seem to have been unlucky with both my 110 and its remote!

Good job I like the way it sounds (the 110, not the remote).

JohnnySix

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the responses about the RF remote control. Will have to contact Oxford Audio about it.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
JohnnySix said:

Hi Johnny,

I've had some issues with my 110 too, though they appeared to be unimportant (something with the power supply for a LED indicator...). What was the problem with yours?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
News on the grapevine is that a firmware upgrade is imminent. This will improve heat management and increase power output for all three 'new' models.

And software v7.1 is due to be released during the Munich show mid-May. Now news what this will involve, but I'd be surprised if it's more than a roll-out of the first tranche of Speaker Active Matching.

Matt

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
News on the grapevine is that a firmware upgrade is imminent. This will improve heat management and increase power output for all three 'new' models.

And software v7.1 is due to be released during the Munich show mid-May. Now news what this will involve, but I'd be surprised if it's more than a roll-out of the first tranche of Speaker Active Matching.

That could explain why I don't get a reply to my question for the Atohm GT1 DSP-settings: maybe they want to keep it for the Munich show...

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
matt49 said:

That could explain why I don't get a reply to my question for the Atohm GT1 DSP-settings: maybe they want to keep it for the Munich show...

Yes, I'm sure they want something new and substantial for Munich. I imagine they'll have three or four pairs of speakers set up with SAM, probably the Atohms, some Vivid G1s and B&W 802s.

I've given my crystal ball a special polish today.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
DocG said:
matt49 said:

Yes, I'm sure they want something new and substantial for Munich. I imagine they'll have three or four pairs of speakers set up with SAM, probably the Atohms, some Vivid G1s and B&W 802s.

I've given my crystal ball a special polish today.

Now this hifi-shop in Rotterdam, where I might go and audition the Wilson Duette (if my wife doesn't kill me before I go there), seem to have both Devialet and the Atohm GT1-DV (for Devialet) in demo. Could give that combo a try too...

imagejpeg

TRENDING THREADS