The Devialet thread

Page 42 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
FWIW I've had my Dev 200 for almost two years now and I still find it incredibly listenable over long periods. It has performed flawlessly and allows the two sets of speakers I have to perform at what I think is their utmost (SAM has a lot to do with this).

Value for money-wise, the Dev 200 is a real bargain for what you get: A very high quality built-in DAC, Streamer and Great Phono Stage.

However, there is something about a less neutral sound that I think adds a little more 'emotion'. That's not to say the Devialet has no 'emotion' - very far from it.

It is maybe for this reason that I've hung on to my Valve Amp. The differences are not huge, but the hot bottles just seem to make everything slightly more 'real'.

However, If I was forced into only having one Amp, I would choose the Dev in a heartbeat.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
However, there is something about a less neutral sound that I think adds a little more 'emotion'.
The emotion is there in the live version, especially with Jazz or Classical...so I need it to be there in the recording.

I do admit though, that this can be over-honeyed. Conversely, I've heard very expensive systems that have been very impressive in a Hifi sort of way, but left me cold, which is worse.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Infiniteloop said:
However, there is something about a less neutral sound that I think adds a little more 'emotion'.
The emotion is there in the live version, especially with Jazz or Classical...so I need it to be there in the recording.

I do admit though, that this can be over-honeyed. Conversely, I've heard very expensive systems that have been very impressive in a Hifi sort of way, but left me cold, which is worse.

Agreed.

If the emotion is in the recording, the Dev reveals it with pristine clarity.

I don't find my S8 'over honeys' things like some Valve Amps can, but sometimes a little extra warmth is welcome.

A good example is the Gil Shaham High Def recordings of Bach Sonatas and Partitas.

The Dev reveals everything clearly and with such clarity that you can hear the texture of the strings and follow his bow movements with ease, whilst becoming emotionally involved in the performance.

The S8 doesn't quite achieve that level of clarity, but the music touches your soul.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
My friend came over this evening to hear the Devialet for himself and I'm afraid to say, it left him cold... it might even be that it's not a good match with Harbeth.

I'm very greatful to Fanthorps for giving me the chance to try the 200 for myself... it's made me realise how good the Accuphase really is.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Macspur said:
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
....but looks like she's staying for now.

Mac

I had a hunch...

I had a hunch you had a hunch! lol

Got a friend coming round soon to have a listen to the Devialet, will be interesting to get his thoughts.

Mac

There's an awful lot of hunches around here this evening. *biggrin*

I'm a big believer in keeping what you know and like. Hence why the Leema has superglued itself to the rack.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
expat_mike said:
HiFix have an ex-display 120 for sale for £3295, in their Bank Holiday deals https://www.hifix.co.uk/deals?limit=all

The 15% trade-in offer brings the price of a new unit to almost this price.

Also try looking a Midland Audio Exchange for their le120 .... a good deal ....

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
tino said:
expat_mike said:
HiFix have an ex-display 120 for sale for £3295, in their Bank Holiday deals https://www.hifix.co.uk/deals?limit=all

Thanks, that puts the HiFix deal into perspective.

Macspur said:
My friend came over this evening to hear the Devialet for himself and I'm afraid to say, it left him cold... it might even be that it's not a good match with Harbeth.

I'm very greatful to Fanthorps for giving me the chance to try the 200 for myself... it's made me realise how good the Accuphase really is.

Mac

If and when I upgrade the Leema it'll have to be some serious piece of kit: Accuphase or Luxman would be high on my list, however, demoing one is another matter. I would be loathed to spend fortunes without hearing one. Typical chestnut.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Spoke to Dale from Fanthorps earlier and he fully appreciated my reasons for not going ahead with the purchase.

He did offer me further demoes with the likes of Bryston, Chord, Sugden and MF. Also did say he would try and get hold of a newer model Accuphase when I'm ready.

Top guy to deal with.

Mac

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
tino said:
expat_mike said:

John at MAX is a great guy to deal with...*good*

BrianRostron

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/devialet

Have you seen this? A petition regarding Devialet AIR. Interestingly, it is more about Devialet's communication and attitude, rather than the issue itself.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
BrianRostron said:
https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/devialet

Have you seen this? A petition regarding Devialet AIR. Interestingly, it is more about Devialet's communication and attitude, rather than the issue itself.

I think everyone has seen it by now. How can the company ever ignore such a massive statement of public opinion?

This is shocking. I'd heard about Devialet owners using "renderers" to enhance performance - the Melco and Aurender brands seem to be favoured - but not as a workaround so much as a hi-end tweak.

Maybe a Densen or a Luxman might be a better next move for me after all!

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
This is shocking. I'd heard about Devialet owners using "renderers" to enhance performance - the Melco and Aurender brands seem to be favoured - but not as a workaround so much as a hi-end tweak.

Maybe a Densen or a Luxman might be a better next move for me after all!

It's the Devialet sound that makes some people put up with the Air issue, which anyway only manifests itself for some (The issue seems to be that you really need a very good WiFi network for it to work properly).

Personally, I don't use it as I prefer a cable to WiFi. But I have to say that when I have, there hasn't been a problem with it for me.

Again, it's the SQ that matters, and after auditioning many Amps at this level I've heard nothing that delivers in most areas quite like a Devialet.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Just upgraded my Devialet 200's software to 10.0.2. Seems like a nice upgrade. Graphics on the built-in screen are now more colourful but more importantly the sound seems even more crisp. Tighter bass and cleaner treble but the midrange still retains that almost valve-like liquid quality. So far I like the change, but the great thing is that I can go back to the previous version very easily.

It's a bit like having a whole new Amp. - For free.

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes, Devialet clearly get a lot right as a company and the regular software updates is a reason in itself to buy Devialet. They are not alone in this - PS Audio for example offer a similar service - but they are in a tiny group. Very impressive.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
To listen to the devialet 800 2(it may have been the 200) weeks ago at harrods.

I chose Lisa gerrard elysium as i know the track well and it sounded very good although the demo room and outside noise does not help.

On the other hand i thought the phantoms were dreadful but was in the shop.

The finish on the expert range is very posh looking

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:

I chose Lisa gerrard elysium as i know the track well and it sounded very good although the demo room and outside noise does not help.

Just got rid of my 800. Sick of dealing with a bunch of cnuts who don't think somebody who spent £18K with them is worth responding to.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:

Just got rid of my 800. Sick of dealing with a bunch of cnuts who don't think somebody who spent £18K with them is worth responding to. 

Yes i read about that. What are you going to get now and how did you get rid trade it in or sell?

I also would not be happy with a noisy transformer.

The other day inswitched on my amp and i heard a horrible humming noise but it was my xbox power supply phew!

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:

Yes i read about that. What are you going to get now and how did you get rid trade it in or sell?

The other day inswitched on my amp and i heard a horrible humming noise but it was my xbox power supply phew!

I traded for an ASR Emitter II. Ticks all of the boxes for me sonically, although a little big...

http://ultimate-audio.eu/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/emitter2exclusive-versionbluepsu.jpg

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:

I traded for an ASR Emitter II. Ticks all of the boxes for me sonically, although a little big...

http://ultimate-audio.eu/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/emitter2exclusive-versionbluepsu.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts