The Devialet thread

Page 40 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
I think the concept of opposing firing bass drivers must have a huge benefit if executed well, doesn't really matter how rigid the stand is.

Yes, it's an approach that makes a lot of sense that isn't used often, though KEF's Blades and Vivid's Giya range are high end examples of speakers that deploy bass drivers in this way, and Audiosmile's Advantage subwoofer/ stand / power amp is a less high end example.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
James7 said:
SteveR750 said:
I think the concept of opposing firing bass drivers must have a huge benefit if executed well, doesn't really matter how rigid the stand is.

Yes, it's an approach that makes a lot of sense that isn't used often, though KEF's Blades and Vivid's Giya range are high end examples of speakers that deploy bass drivers in this way, and Audiosmile's Advantage subwoofer/ stand / power amp is a less high end example.

I think there are a number of subs with opposed drivers: the Martin Logan Balanced Force 210 and 212 come to mind.

SteveR750

I've often thought about that as a design concept, having two opposing bass mid drivers connected by a sealed tube which has a lower than ambient air pressure, or whatver pressure is required to adjust the fundamental. The tube is mounted within a conventional enclosure containing the mid and /or tweeter.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
James7 said:
SteveR750 said:

I think there are a number of subs with opposed drivers: the Martin Logan Balanced Force 210 and 212 come to mind.

Yes, and the B&W subs (PV1, PV1D, DB1). Having said that...

As some of you know, I'm gonna build a new living room system, with a DEQX cross-over, Hypex NCore amps and modded Magnepan MMGs. I'm also thinking about a subwoofer, to relieve the MMGs from the bass-work (blending it in should be a breeze for the DEQX). But that would need to be one hell of a fast and tuneful sub, to keep up with the Maggies! And that kind of sub doesn't seem to come cheap... Now, what about a Phantom solely for sub 100 Hz duties? Looks like good VFM to me (going on Matt's and EvPa's reports). Any thoughts, insight or doubts?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:

As some of you know, I'm gonna build a new living room system, with a DEQX cross-over, Hypex NCore amps and modded Magnepan MMGs. I'm also thinking about a subwoofer, to relieve the MMGs from the bass-work (blending it in should be a breeze for the DEQX). But that would need to be one hell of a fast and tuneful sub, to keep up with the Maggies! And that kind of sub doesn't seem to come cheap... Now, what about a Phantom solely for sub 100 Hz duties? Looks like good VFM to me (going on Matt's and EvPa's reports). Any thoughts, insight or doubts?

In theory it's a great idea. One concern would be signal latency in the Phantoms. Can the DEQX correct that? I'd have thought so, but I know next to nothing about DEQX.

How about a sub from Martin Logan? They're designed to be used with the hyper-fast ML panels, so should integrate well. I plan to try out subs next year. The ML Dynamo 1500x is on my list. It's $1595, so in the same ball park as a Phantom and not much pricier than the average active 15" sub.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
DocG said:

In theory it's a great idea. One concern would be signal latency in the Phantoms. Can the DEQX correct that? I'd have thought so, but I know next to nothing about DEQX.

Yes, the DEQX holds everything back until the slowest signals can catch up. So that should work. But I'll have to use analogue outs for the Maggies, and a BNC-to-optical for the Phantoms. Not sure that'll work (but I think it will)...

matt49 said:
How about a sub from Martin Logan? They're designed to be used with the hyper-fast ML panels, so should integrate well. I plan to try out subs next year. The ML Dynamo 1500x is on my list. It's $1595, so in the same ball park as a Phantom and not much pricier than the average active 15" sub.

That could be an alternative indeed. I have two "but"s though:

- the MLs undoubtedly need more room.

- the only ML-dealer I know in Belgium, is a villain, I don't want to deal with anymore.

But I'll keep your suggestion in the back of my head. Thanks!

EDIT: a big plus for the ML subs is the fact that the bass management system is a paying extra; so you don't pay for it if you don't need it! I like that!

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
EDIT: a big plus for the ML subs is the fact that the bass management system is a paying extra; so you don't pay for it if you don't need it! I like that!

It's very American (and a good thing). There are lots of folk with ML home cinema set-ups for whom the proprietary bass management thing would make good sense, as well as being less fiddly than REW. For us it's unnecessary and so, as you say, needn't be paid for.

I've now done huge amounts of EQ on my main system, thanks to the DSPeaker Anti-Mode: bass EQ, a house curve, a "psychoacoustic notch" around 3kHz, and a lift between 100 and 500Hz. All tuned "by ear", except for the automatic bass EQ. It's sounding rather wonderful.

A sub could improve the one area where it's still inferior to the Phantoms.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
If I were a vinyl user, I'd be very excited: real time adjustment of phono stage parameters. Nice!

I'm currently considering a new turntable. I've been planning it for a while and it's why I went for the 200 over the 120 (the 200 has a built-in high quality phono stage).

This validates my decision further.....

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Here's a look at the new accessories for the Phantoms. The stand is defo on my list. But who going to use the bags?

I also have doubts about the wall bracket. You'd need very sturdy walls and a BSc in engineering to get them up securely and with no incidents.

The remote will be brilliant though. Devialet do remotes properly.

IMG_9871ss.jpg

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
I also have doubts about the wall bracket. You'd need very sturdy walls and a BSc in engineering to get them up securely and with no incidents.

I have no use for them but it should not be a problem here, every single wall is made of reinforced concrete.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I like the way the different sources are integrated in Spark. I'm using files streamed from my NAS, Sonos via optical into the Dialog, and Qobuz streaming direct to the Dialog. All working well and very easy to handle. The first of these does require my laptop to be on (the NAS appears in Spark because it's a mapped drive on the laptop), but I gather DLNA NAS drives will soon be able to talk directly to the Dialog. Strictly speaking the Sonos is unnecessary, as it's drawing files from the same NAS, but it's still quite a nice option because the family are familiar with the Sonos interface. Now just waiting for the Branch stands and the remote.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I was listening to one of my favourite albums of last year - 'If you wait' by London Grammar. Those of you familiar with it will know that the opening track 'Hey Now' features dramatic Bass to stunning effect about a third of the way into the track. I hadn't played this since upgrading to V8 firmware and found that when I did, something was very wrong....

Now when the Bass kicks in, Hannah Reid's Oh, so beautiful vocals become distorted and blurry. At first I thought my speakers were at fault, or that I had inadvertently programmed the Devialet with the wrong SAM setting. After checking everything and getting the same bad result from either Qobuz or my ripped iTunes file - at differing volumes, I played it again with SAM off. This time Hannah was back in full, pure voice.

I emailed Devialet with my findings and didn't really expect to get a response. However, today they emailed me back to say that they had replicated the fault and were working on a correction which would be effective in the next firmware update. The problem apparently lies in the new SAM v2 implementation.

It all goes to show how on-the-ball Devialet are in terms of ensuring and maintaining a high quality product and listening to, and responding to, their customers.

I have to say that I'm pretty impressed!

Laurens_B

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
I was listening to one of my favourite albums of last year - 'If you wait' by London Grammar. Those of you familiar with it will know that the opening track 'Hey Now' features dramatic Bass to stunning effect about a third of the way into the track. I hadn't played this since upgrading to V8 firmware and found that when I did, something was very wrong....

Now when the Bass kicks in, Hannah Reid's Oh, so beautiful vocals become distorted and blurry. At first I thought my speakers were at fault, or that I had inadvertently programmed the Devialet with the wrong SAM setting. After checking everything and getting the same bad result from either Qobuz or my ripped iTunes file - at differing volumes, I played it again with SAM off. This time Hannah was back in full, pure voice.

I emailed Devialet with my findings and didn't really expect to get a response. However, today they emailed me back to say that they had replicated the fault and were working on a correction which would be effective in the next firmware update. The problem apparently lies in the new SAM v2 implementation.

It all goes to show how on-the-ball Devialet are in terms of ensuring and maintaining a high quality product and listening to, and responding to, their customers.

Very impressive! Especially that they took the time to replicate the fault! Unfortunately I can't afford one :(

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:

The issue you describe is not unlike what I heard when I used my SAM'ed 120-LS50 combo for the first time, and played Daft Punk's Random Access Memories: grossly distorted. I contacted Devialet, but never got a reply... Now, thinking about it, I played the album many times since, and never noticed the problem again. So back then too, I suppose they fixed the bug (but didn't reply to my mail -- which is better than the other way round *smile*).

SteveR750

matt49 said:
Here's a look at the new accessories for the Phantoms. The stand is defo on my list. But who going to use the bags?

Not necessarily, so long as they can support the weight without flapping, which should not be an issue. Remember, the bass/mid drivers are opposing, and in the plane parallel to the mounting wall. There is in theory no force applied to the miunting bracket as a result of the audio input. Unless you meant they were extremely heavy.....:)

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
That's good to hear, Andrew. I've not installed the new firmware yet. I think I'll wait until they've ironed out the bug.

cheers!

It's odd that I've only ever experienced it on this one track - the rest of the album plays fine as does everything else!

I did think that the sound in general was 'different' ('bigger') after the firmware upgrade, but I put this down to 'psychoacoustical anomalies' (to quote Trev C. - maybe I should just trust my ears more....)*wink*

Come to think of it, maybe I should try to see if the same thing happens with SAM'd Cremona's..... If I get time I'll have a go.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
matt49 said:

Not necessarily, so long as they can support the weight without flapping, which should not be an issue. Remember, the bass/mid drivers are opposing, and in the plane parallel to the mounting wall. There is in theory no force applied to the miunting bracket as a result of the audio input. Unless you meant they were extremely heavy.....:)

Yes, I just meant they were very heavy.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
New Devialet 8.1 firmware installed yesterday and it seems to have corrected the issue I found that 8.0 had. Seems there were several other issues too which have been sorted out. Quite a quick turnaround.

Anyway, I just wanted to report that 8.1 seems to be working fine. - If anything, the sound seems to be slightly 'warmer' (SAM on). - (Or it could be that summer seems to have arrived at last?).

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
New Devialet 8.1 firmware installed yesterday and it seems to have corrected the issue I found that 8.0 had. Seems there were several other issues too which have been sorted out. Quite a quick turnaround.

Anyway, I just wanted to report that 8.1 seems to be working fine. - If anything, the sound seems to be slightly 'warmer' (SAM on). - (Or it could be that summer seems to have arrived at last?).

That's good to hear!

I'm also glad they sent me a link to the manual, so I can systematically check if I implemented all changes and add-ons correctly.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
Yes, the manual is a nice touch.

Andrew, what issues were you experiencing?

Hi Matt, I was getting some distortion on a couple of tracks that previously sounded wonderful (London Grammar 'Hey Now' from 'If You wait', for example). - At first I thought the issue was with my speakers, but the distortion disappeared with SAM off. I reported it to Devialet and they emailed me back saying that they too could replicate the fault and that the issue was with SAM. Anyway, since the firmware update everything sounds great. - In fact I think SAM V2 sounds better than V1.

I cannot fault Devialet. This is a product that just keeps on giving. If only every company was like this!

(Cannot wait to start fiddling about with all the goodies in store when I get my turntable!).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts