The active speakers club

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Shall we have a thread dedicated to active speakers - news, reviews, links, pics, your experiences, comparisons, auditions, applications etc.
Keep it useful, please.

I'll start with a recent demo of a new entry - Dynaudio Xeo. Not only they are active but wireless too. At the moment wireless transmission is limited to 16/44 but i was told they are working on an hd version, presumably 24/96 or 24/192.

Sound-wise they sounded excellent (xeo 3 heard) with good dynamics if a tiny bit boomy compared to e.g. Atc 50a or avi adm9s, very similar sound to dynaudio 100a.

The multiroom functionality is very interesting as it potentially gets them to compete with Systems like Sonos but I do not have full understanding of how all the zones, inputs and controls work in a Xeo setup. E.g. I understan I can play same or different music in 3 zones and can control volume individually but it is not clear if I can have master volume control for all zones at once.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Good thread... Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the XEO3.

I owned a pair of M-Audio BX5's (gave them to my younger brother) which I find to be excellent value for money, so I see the benefit of a pair actives.

I think I'd be interested in seeing HiFi mags (like WHF) reviewing pro audio active speakers. It would be intriguing to see what they think of the likes of Genelec, Focal Pro, Dynaudo Pro, Mackie, Adam Pro, M-Audio, etc...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Our Xeo 3's turned up today, and I'm just finding somewhere to put them! Great isn't it? A speaker that's a bit more versatile in where we can set them up, and I can't find anywhere.... :grin:

Did you hear them with the bungs in or out AlmaataKZ? I'm guessing they were out, so using them will have tightened them up somewhat.

Each pair of Xeos come with their own remote control that will control that pair of Xeos, but each remote has A/B/C buttons on them so that any remote can control any pair of Xeos in use. The transmitters have three 'channels' to choose from, so they can supply any of three different pairs of Xeos. So in theory, the transmitter plugged itno a main system can be switched on the back to supply anyone of three pairs around the house.

I'll need to double check, but I think I recall the rep saying that there was a 'party mode' as well, sending the same signal to all of them.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Can the party mode control volume in all zones simultaneously like on Sonos?

Re bungs - I think there weren't any when I heard them.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
This will be a useful, civil and positive thread with a touch of healthy pragmatism. There will be no fighting. Please join in.

AlmaataKZ said:
This will be a useful, civil and positive thread with a touch of healthy pragmatism. There will be no fighting...

images

images

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I will edit this post with more manufacturers of active speakers, with some focus on those who have domestic versions.

Pro models only:

Genelec

Krk

Mackie

Acoustic Energy

Focal (except ????? desktop) or do they have domestic?

Barefoot

Yamaha

Behringer

Event

Pioneer

Ds peaker

Se munro

Pro and domestic models:

ATC

Dynaudio

Adam audio

Pmc

Domestic only models:

AVI

B&O

B&W (desktop model only)

Audio pro

Meridian

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
Can the party mode control volume in all zones simultaneously like on Sonos?

Re bungs - I think there weren't any when I heard them.

As I say, I'll need to double check if the feature is present, but I'm sure I heard the rep mention it. I'm sure you can set one as the master. I'll let you know tomorrow.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
John Duncan said:
AlmaataKZ said:
This will be a useful, civil and positive thread with a touch of healthy pragmatism. There will be no fighting.

Because I'm staying out of it?

No just hope we can manage a thread without fighting.

Well , if the technical waffle and the marketing ploys of various companies are not referred to and the talk is just about the speakers then you have a chance . If not you might as well lock it now .

However , I hope this doesn't happen because I am interested to learn more about active speakers and think that in about 3 or 4 years I might be ready to seriously consider buying some . So by that time there should be some second hand AVI ADM40s or reasonably priced ATC speakers available and other companies might have jumped on the bandwagon giving more to chose from .

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
However , I hope this doesn't happen because I am interested to learn more about active speakers and think that in about 3 or 4 years I might be ready to seriously consider buying some . So by that time there should be some second hand AVI ADM40s or reasonably priced ATC speakers available and other companies might have jumped on the bandwagon giving more to chose from .

Plenty of choice now, if you consider the pro audio market. There are even some aesthetically acceptable pro monitors.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I think a problem with actives is that the choice of domestic (i.e. slim/small, good finish, choice of finish etc) models is extremely limited. Literally, there are about 3 - 4 floorstanding models only that can be listed here at any prices that can be remotely called moderate ie sub-stratospheric:

Atc scm 20a

Adam artist 6 or pencil

Avi adm 40

Dunaudio xeo 6

What else?

While the choice of passive floorstanders will definately stretch into many dozens if not one or two hundred of models at the same prices (even factoring for amp cost).

Messiah

Well apart from the ADMs the only other actives I have any experience with (and by experience I mean a few demos) is the Meridian DSP8000s.

These would be my lottery win purchase. I have not heard many systems at their price so could not say they are the absolute best but I have yet to hear a better sound. These speakers always blow me away in every respect. Sound is amazing and I think they look excellent and are very well built. Probably a bit big for the standard domestic environment though.

Like I said, when I win the lottery...

atticus

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Anyone heard the PTE 'Statement' or 'Phoenix'? I think I'd need a bigger house and a deaf g/f.

Before I elected to go for the ADM40's, I test drove the ADM9's. As the 40's were going to be better and I had the moolah, I decided to wait for them instead. However, I would have liked to compare the Dynaudio Xeo's with the ADM9's. My first 'proper' pair of speakers were Dynaudio 52's and so I still have a certain affinity for the brand.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
What else?

Well there's the B&O Beolab range, but I have no idea of the prices for them all. Some are within the stated price bracket though and they look the biz.

Dynaudio XEO 5?

Are we considering electrostatics in this section as well?

stuartybass

Dec 21, 2007
Visit site
An excellent idea for a thread - no really!

There's no real merit in discussing active vs passive, which is a waste of everyone's time, but discussion of 'pro-audio' speakers in a domestic environment is helpful, because there is fairly recent interest in this application. Also, there are some technical aspects, such as cabling and volume control, which aren't covered particularly well elsewhere.

In addition, there is currently a niche market for domestic active speakers, such as AVI, Dynaudio Xeo and AudioPro, which is just starting to expand.

(I would add Audio Pro to the list of manufacturers) - sorry you already have

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We've got a gorgeous white pair of B&O Beolab 8000 active floorstanders; you can pick up pairs in great condition for @£1500, and as B&O make just about everything themselves (including the amplification), you can easily get them serviced (quality of customer service is excellent, too).

The recent replacement, the Beolab 8002, cost around £3k new:

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/beolab8002

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts