System as of April 2010

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
At least one person asked for updated pics. That's good enough for me. Some of you may be wondering if I'm done now. I'll tell you what I tell my wife "get back in the kitchen and bake me a pie!". Just kidding, (nervously looks over shoulder to make sure wife isn't in room). The real answer is no. I don't know what's next, but I'm not done. Still love the Dynaudios. The best speaker I've ever owned by a good margin. The only complaint is I wish I has a slightly bigger room so I could move them out 6 more inches. The Bryston gear is amazinig. Outstanding in every way my amateur ears can measure.

I do wish the Bryston preamp matched the amp, but I got a great deal on a dealer demo unit (40% off), so I took the black face. I definately like the silver face on the amp better...

2010_03240023.jpg

2010_03240024.jpg

2010_03240030.jpg

2010_03240044.jpg

2010_03240048.jpg

2010_03240042.jpg

2010_03240049.jpg

2010_03240050.jpg

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i bet that sounds brilliant.

i know what you mean about the dyns, if i'd had a bigger room i might have bought some. have you tried partial port blocking?

one things for sure, it'll cost to improve on what you have!

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Craig M.: i bet that sounds brilliant.

Thanks. Yes, I'm amazed at this point. I wish I could hear your system to compare.

Speakers I wish I could home demo: ATC SCM19 or 20SL, KEF XQ30 or 40, KEF REF 201/2, PMC TB2i

Craig M.: i know what you mean about the dyns, if i'd had a bigger room i might have bought some. have you tried partial port blocking?

Yeah, I've blocked the ports for about 10 minutes. Had to unblock them. Even though the bass is occassional too much, it's very addictive. Most of the time the bass is excellent. And I will say this, if the track I'm listening to has llittle bass, these speakers don't put out any. They are only playing back what's fed to them. I really wish that Dyn made a Contour S1.1 that was more the size of Focus 110s. But, with all that said, they are still my favorite speaker so far...

Craig M.: one things for sure, it'll cost to improve on what you have!

True. The amp and preamp are here to stay for a long long time. Any future changes will have to do with the source or rack or cable. I wouldn't mind figuring out how to stream some of the new HiRes audio that's now available online.

unbridled_id

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I saw you were selling the NAD pre/power on audiogon Jax.... I see what you have now and I do understand. I have always respected Bryston gear and the 4bsst squared is an impressive beast indeed. I always wanted the 3bsst but ... it was a bit rich for my blood. Nice that you paired it with a matching Bryston pre.

In defense of the NAD gear it is not plastic. The c275/c165 gear is very good and even better still when you consider it's price point. Yes I do own it and this is how I feel.

I think Jax would agree that that Nad gear is very good indeed. That being said the 4bsst squared at retail price is 2x the price of the Nad pre/power combo. I do respect Bryston for all it is and the warranty of course is without peer in the industry.

izpuuteejs

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
At least one person :)

I do not own any gear from Bryston but it will be my future upgrade path too!

Looks and sounds fantastic. Thanks for the photos,enjoy Your fantastic setup!

unbridled_id

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
No hard feelings, facts are facts my friend. Bryston gear is what it is, hand assembled in North America using high quality parts with excellent engineers/designers/employees involved every step of the way. I also admire McIntosh as well for similar reasons but it the the 20yr warranty that sets Bryston apart. Marketing b.s walks but a 20yr warranty says: we believe in our products! No bells and whistles just great build quality and the objective measurements to back it up. As I said above I would love to have the 3bsst and maybe someday it will be so. I like the look of Bryston as well, (same reason I like NAD's look) very simple yet elegant in it's simplicity.

A

Anonymous

If you email Bryston, they may for a small fee send a silver faceplate to swap over?

I agree the colour matching would look great in silver.

TRENDING THREADS