New home - old 5.1 system got to go in favour of soundbar ?

YYDeckard

Jan 6, 2020
Visit site
Afternoon, be gentle as a newbie here :)

I have just moved into a bungalow from my previous house and have a 6 year old Dali 5.1 Zensor system exactly like this -

51S9syA-VdL.jpg

The trouble is the new living room and mrs make it almost impossible to be square on with the front or back speakers - see pic - as they want to face the patio doors and garden so everything is now off with the speakers / tv. To the left of the TV are huge sliding glass doors to the garden on virtually that entire wall. The room is perfectly rectangular.

My question is can anything constructive be done to help or am I better off selling the system and purchasing a fairly good soundbar ? I have no idea what the system would sell for 2nd hand but its immaculate and I am sure cost about 1800 from Richer Sounds back in the day.59895470583__CC0D9015-CBFC-4B50-BBCF-1B41AB02CA0C.jpg

sonic1

Dec 27, 2019
Visit site
I had a similar problem many years ago and went for the KEF Eggs which take up less space on their stands and like you having a bungalow it was easy to drop cables from the loft and attach the rear speakers to the walls.

I have family members with Yamaha sound bars and although they are very good it is not the same as having dedicated surround sound. ( My opinion )

If you are not worried out second hand then there are plenty of Eggs on ebay or you can still get them new.

Reactions: scene and Tonestar1

Tonestar1

I take it you can't move the AV unit to where the picture is and rotate the couch 90 degrees?
Those speakers clearly don't work in that room as it stands so you certainly won't be getting the best out of them, If that's the only configuration option you have for TV placement I'd be looking at the sonos system or the B&W formation series. Both would allow you to have a soundbar for front L/C/R add wireless rear speakers for full 5.1 taking up minimal space.

Reactions: sonic1

YYDeckard

Jan 6, 2020
Visit site
thanks for the help so far but might head for a Samsung HW-MS650 and pick up the sub at a later date but I really have no idea what my 5.1 system will sell for - what price do you think it might reach ?

scene

I assume you've already got an AV amp to drive the Zensor speakers?
I agree with an earlier poster, buy some small "satellite" speakers - Kef Eggs are a great choice (I have them in my dining room, and love them). Keep the AV amp and the Dali sub and sell the remaining 5.0 speakers.
- I've mounted my eggs (high up) on the wall, but they, or other satellite speakers are pretty easy to wall mount and running the cables either through the ceiling, or round the skirting is also fairly simple.
- A sound bar combines the amp and tries to replicate the rears using reflections, and I've got a Sonos beam and although it gives a great sound, without rears you don't get the full surround sound experience.

Reactions: sonic1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts