Spendor S3/5R2 vs SA1

Goat

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm currently doing some research on these two speakers as potential new additions, although a demo is going to be tough due to location.

Has anyone had experience of both and could offer thoughts on how they compare? The SA1 is obviously a lot more expensive, but I wonder how much of that is down to build/finish rather than any resulting sound quality. Do they share the same slightly dark, smooth treble?

Thanks

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I would try and get a demo if I were you, most if not all Spendor dealers should have both on demo.

I heard both, and prefered the S3/5R over the SA1, not heard the newer S3/5R2 though.

Both models use the same tweeter, just a different mid-bass driver.

I found the SA1 a little lighter in the bass, as a result it sounded a little faster but really I dont think it would warrant the price difference if I were choosing between the two. They are both very easy to drive but lack sensitivity.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I still have the SA-1s. Even though I've replaced them with the Harbeth Monitor 30.1s, I didn't sell them - couldn't bear to part with such a lovely pair of speakers so I occasionally fire them up in place of the Harbeths. Yes, the treble is as you described it but I would add that their strength is in the midrange, particularly the reproduction of vocals and piano. Bass is not plentiful though adequate for a small room (some users supplement it with a subwoofer or two). Sorry I haven't heard the 3/5R2s but I'm guessing they'll share roughly similar Spendor traits - excellent highs and mids, not so much bass.

Goat

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. That is exactly the priority I have – 1. Articulate, communicative, natural and enchanting midrange. 2. Forgiving, soft but detailed highs. 3. Clean and relatively quick bass that doesn’t boom. FYI my room is 11ft x 9ft at the moment.

The things I’m not bothered about, or don’t want, are: 1. deep, boomy bass. 2. Hyper resolved detail and transparency. 3. A hard, ‘exciting’ edge to music. An alternative seems to be the A3, although that seems like a rather uncomfortable middle ground between the SA1 and A6.

On another note, how easy would it be to integrate a sub with spendor standmounters if the room later warranted it? What would be a minimum spend to get a musical, quick sub?

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Some people find it difficult to integrate a sub, personally I've never had a problem. A little judicious listening, set it, leave it for a while to see how it sounds, then fine tune it. The BK range would be your best bet cost wise (and they sound good). The entry level one is just over £200, gut feel says you'd want the next one up, which is just over £300. Although the killer one for music in their range is only £450, which would be tempting. Sold direct only so no chance to audition, but think REL sound (they used to make the REL's). And very flexible in terms of setting them up.

Georgina138

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Where are you based?

I work for a high-end store that is owned by Spendor's majority shareholder and we could demo both products. However, if our Central London location isn't any good, we can help you find the nearest place to get a demo of both speakers.

Personally, I love the SA1's.

Georgina138

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Where are you based?

I work for a high-end store that is owned by Spendor's majority shareholder and we could demo both products. However, if our Central London location isn't any good, we can help you find the nearest place to get a demo of both speakers.

Personally, I love the SA1's.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Goat said:
Thanks for the responses. That is exactly the priority I have – 1. Articulate, communicative, natural and enchanting midrange. 2. Forgiving, soft but detailed highs. 3. Clean and relatively quick bass that doesn’t boom. FYI my room is 11ft x 9ft at the moment.

The things I’m not bothered about, or don’t want, are: 1. deep, boomy bass. 2. Hyper resolved detail and transparency. 3. A hard, ‘exciting’ edge to music. An alternative seems to be the A3, although that seems like a rather uncomfortable middle ground between the SA1 and A6.

On another note, how easy would it be to integrate a sub with spendor standmounters if the room later warranted it? What would be a minimum spend to get a musical, quick sub?

It sounds like the S3/5R2 or SA1 are just what you are after.

As far as I am aware, the A3 use the same drivers as the SA1 but in a larger, ported cabinet with a different crossover. I have not heard them though.

With regards to subwoofer integration, I would have thought it would be quite easy, based on my experience with small sealed monitors (Keesonic Kolt). The sealed bass has a nice smooth roll off and moving them out from the wall will give you a bit more tuning ability when integrating the sub.

I found the BK Gemini Mk2 to go very well with the little Keesonic Kolts,.

Goat

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
That's all pretty encouraging then.

The other possible option at the moment is Sonus Faber Venere 1.5's, which should give a fuller, deeper sound. Don't suppose anyone has heard these AND the spendors to compare?

But demo'ing either is going to be tough as I live in Bristol. The nearest SF or Spendor dealers seem to be at least 2 hours away.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
What's a couple of hours when you are possibly spending over £1000.00?

Ask your nearest Spendor dealer if they can get both speakers in and the Sonus Faber's for a demo.

That will make the 4 hours round trip worth it!

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
The A3s get a very positive write-up in this month's Hi-Fi Choice, though one advantage of the two smaller models you mention, in my opinion, is the sealed cabinet design. I liked the SA1 very much when I heard them on the end of a NAIM Supernait. If you can stretch to £1500 the even smaller but totally brilliant Audiosmile Kensai can be bought on a 30 day trial then full refund basis from their website - so they could be auditioned at some length from the comfort of your own room. Both the Audiosmile and Spendor speakers really need a fairly robust amp to give of their best.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts