Sony PSN 5 days and still down, damn thoughtless hackers!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
007L2Thrill said:
So what I want to know is, I used my credit card and debit card on the PSN about 3 months ago but deleted details of my cards off my account, so will I be still at risk?
smiley-frown.gif

Well i'm not going to re-assure you. Balance the inconvience of changing your cards against any potential losses (or the niggling worry about it happening one day out of the blue) and let us know what you decided.

Well I have emailed my bank saying much the same thing and just sending an email to SONY asking them am I still at risk after deleting all my details around 3 months ago?

Will keep you informed!

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Well got a reply from Sony within 30 mins which was top notch, this is what they said “If you removed your credit card information months ago, there should not be a risk. We do not keep credit card information once you delete it.

Regards,
Richard."

Now to see what the bank says but looks as I should be fine, fingers crossed.
smiley-sealed.gif

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi 007,

I read on another thread that Sony keep all other personal details such as Name/ Address/ DOB/ and there would be records of you're transaction ( Don't they keep for so long for Tax Reasons). As a positive i did hear that the Hackers were unable to get to the 3 digit security codes. I called the bank and now have a new set of no.s coming on a new card, got a few sites to change info on when i next use them but 30 minutes of changing card details and passwords Vs the uncertainty. I took the former.

If you have used a Password for same or similar you may wish to change those as i believe they were stolen plus Gamertags. Concern for me is Credit Checks but i also feel that this is a high profile enough case to be traced should i have an issue.

Anyway Nationwide already gave that info away on a labtop some time ago!

Who knows may'be Sony will be really generous and let me download a ??1.29 Mini game for all the hassle!

Must have cost them a fortune. Lets hope other companies are helping to catch those responsible before other data holding sites get targetted. In reality it had to happen sooner or later to somebody thus is the value of personal information.

Others take note!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
I for one am not risking it! I'm going to my bank today to get a new card issued and sort this mess out, after a little time spent thinking about the possible ramifications it's obvious to me that it's best to be pro active and change all my card details just in case...better to be safe than sorry imo.

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
Thank you Cookie monster,yes i was just posting on the information i was given at work via e-mails.Im not going to bother posting anything more on here,as i im getting fed up with the negative comments.Im trying to be helpful where i can but it just seems that certain people on here clearly think there better then other people.I always thought that this forum was meant to be "head and shoulders"above the rest.Clearly this is not the case.I'm proud of what a do at work,and damm good at my job also in a fortunate position of being in a job i enjoy,now is harder then ever to be in the retail sector and to still come home smiling is no mean feat nowady's.

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Sony Centre. I work for a rather large company too and have seen this many times. So many things have to be covered just to stop the automatic negative opinions and views coming through, nevermind lawsuits. I assume they would have looked internally first too. A small company would have got little or no press or perhaps may not have been attacked. Lets face it its the size of the prize that matters to hackers. I am not a Sony 'Die Hard' but they make some great kit at great prices and for that they should be praised, as they are in pretty much every issue of WHF. Must be remembered that Sony did not leave a laptop on a train or put all our information up for public viewing - they were 'broken in to'. I started this thread because i felt for Japan at this time and felt it was a very vicious thing to do. It was not to attack Sony who perhaps could have done better but lets face it, its pretty bad, but this was going to happen to somebody sooner or later.

In perspective:

Sony will now possibly be looking at making job losses, little or no NPD, controlling operating expenditure and loss of public trust. Then there is the uncertainty of future attacks, nuclear meltdown, and the recent loss of many lives.

Me - i was on the phone 7 mins cancelling a card and requesting a new one!

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Cookie Monster said:
Hi 007,

I read on another thread that Sony keep all other personal details such as Name/ Address/ DOB/ and there would be records of you're transaction ( Don't they keep for so long for Tax Reasons). As a positive i did hear that the Hackers were unable to get to the 3 digit security codes. I called the bank and now have a new set of no.s coming on a new card, got a few sites to change info on when i next use them but 30 minutes of changing card details and passwords Vs the uncertainty. I took the former.

If you have used a Password for same or similar you may wish to change those as i believe they were stolen plus Gamertags. Concern for me is Credit Checks but i also feel that this is a high profile enough case to be traced should i have an issue.

Anyway Nationwide already gave that info away on a labtop some time ago!

Who knows may'be Sony will be really generous and let me download a ??1.29 Mini game for all the hassle!

Must have cost them a fortune. Lets hope other companies are helping to catch those responsible before other data holding sites get targetted. In reality it had to happen sooner or later to somebody thus is the value of personal information.

Others take note!

Hi Cookie Monster

I think I may contact my bank to change my cards just in case but can’t do that till next week as iv ordered my shopping off my debit card for delivery and I am sure they don’t charge my card till the day of delivery.

I think the hackers should be found and flogged with playstation accessories, mains cable tied around ankles, AV leads tied around arms and a playstation 2 wired pad used for flogging.
smiley-sealed.gif

Hope you get your mini game but can’t see it happening.
smiley-tongue-out.gif

I can see a lot of people turning to Xbox 360 because of this, I don’t use the PSN that much so not that much of a biggie, but a lot of users will not trust using there card details on the PSN in the future and that’s me for one.

Look what’s happened hotz hacked the PS3 then Sony takes him to court, he gets off then couple of weeks latter PSN is hacked, it’s like you mess with us and we will mess with you, sad but true.
smiley-cool.gif

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
sonycentre said:
Thank you Cookie monster,yes i was just posting on the information i was given at work via e-mails.Im not going to bother posting anything more on here,as i im getting fed up with the negative comments.Im trying to be helpful where i can but it just seems that certain people on here clearly think there better then other people.I always thought that this forum was meant to be "head and shoulders"above the rest.Clearly this is not the case.I'm proud of what a do at work,and damm good at my job also in a fortunate position of being in a job i enjoy,now is harder then ever to be in the retail sector and to still come home smiling is no mean feat nowady's.

That's all a bit harsh sonycentre! You posted info that was not correct that is a fact and it was only right that the correct info be posted on this thread to avoid any confusion, no one (well not me certainly) would like to see you stop posting simply because of this. I'm sure all forum members appreciate that you are just trying to help like almost all of us on here!

I still beleive that this forum is the best of it's kind for genuine forum members that actually want to help others and i wouldn't go anywhere else for advice. As for your comments regarding the retail sector....i worked for Gamestation for many years and enjoyed my job immensly despite the rather discouraging wages so can well understand your frustrations, the high street is a tough place to be right now for sure.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Just an update if anyones interested

A lawsuit in america has been filed by "Kristopher Johns 36 of Birmingham, Alabama."

Being in america id say he is less likely to get anywhere then someone from the uk as sonys T&Cs cover themselves over there but not over here due to our laws

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
aliEnRIK said:
Just an update if anyones interested

A lawsuit in america has been filed by "Kristopher Johns 36 of Birmingham, Alabama."

Being in america id say he is less likely to get anywhere then someone from the uk as sonys T&Cs cover themselves over there but not over here due to our laws

First of many...and if the data protection act has been broken in this country then no ammount of t & c's can cover Sony and i would then expect law suits to follow in this country but there will be some very aggressive and costly law suits coming out of the US in relation to this. It will be interesting to see just what the legal argument is and how Sony will go about defending itself in the land of litigation
smiley-smile.gif

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
For all it may concern here is the latest info from Sony about the resumption of the psn service and what sony is going to provide as compensation to all it's psn users:

This morning, a press conference took place in Tokyo, Japan and the following press release is now being distributed worldwide. We would also like to once again thank you for your patience.

On 1 May 2011, Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) and Sony Network Entertainment International (SNEI, the company) announced they will shortly begin a phased restoration by region of PlayStation Network and Qriocity services, beginning with gaming, music and video services to be turned on.

The company also announced both a series of immediate steps to enhance security across the network and a new customer appreciation programme to thank its customers for their patience and loyalty.

Following a criminal cyber attack on the company's data centre located in San Diego, California, USA, SNEI quickly turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services, engaged multiple expert information security firms over the course of several days, and conducted an extensive audit of the system.

Since then, the company has implemented a variety of new security measures to provide greater protection of personal information. SNEI and its third party experts have conducted extensive tests to verify the security strength of PlayStation Network and Qriocity services.

With these measures in place, SCE and SNEI plan to start a phased roll-out by region of the services shortly. The initial phase of the roll-out will include, but is not limited to, the following:
  • Restoration of online gameplay across PlayStation 3 and PSP systems, including titles requiring online verification and downloaded games.
  • Access to Q Music Unlimited for PS3/PSP for existing subscribers.
  • Access to account management and password reset.
  • Access to download unexpired movie rentals on PS3, PSP and Media Go.
  • PlayStation Home.
  • Friends List.
  • Chat functionality.
Working closely with several outside security firms, the company has implemented significant security measures to further detect unauthorized activity and provide consumers with greater protection of their personal information.

The company is also creating the position of Chief Information Security Officer, directly reporting to Shinji Hasejima, Chief Information Officer of Sony Corporation, to add a new position of expertise in and accountability for customer data protection, and to supplement existing information security personnel.

The new security measures implemented include, but are not limited to, the following:
  • Added automated software monitoring and configuration management to help defend against new attacks.
  • Enhanced levels of data protection and encryption.
  • Enhanced ability to detect software intrusions within the network, unauthorized access and unusual activity patterns.
  • Implementation of additional firewalls.
The company also expedited an already planned move of the system to a new data centre in a different location that has been under construction and development for several months.

In addition, PS3 will have a forced system software update that will require all registered PlayStation Network users to change their account passwords before being able to sign into the service. As an added layer of security, that password can only be changed on the same PS3 in which that account was activated, or through validated email confirmation, a critical step to help further protect customer data.

The company is conducting a thorough and ongoing investigation and working with law enforcement to track down and prosecute those responsible for the illegal intrusion.

"This criminal act against our network had a significant impact not only on our consumers, but our entire industry," said Kazuo Hirai, Executive Deputy President, Sony Corporation. "These illegal attacks obviously highlight the widespread problem with cyber security. We take the security of our consumers' information very seriously and are committed to helping our consumers protect their personal data. In addition, the organization has worked around the clock to bring these services back online, and are doing so only after we had verified increased levels of security across our networks. Our global audience of PlayStation Network and Qriocity consumers was disrupted. We have learned lessons along the way about the valued relationship with our consumers, and to that end, we will be launching a customer appreciation programme for registered consumers as a way of expressing our gratitude for their loyalty during this network downtime, as we work even harder to restore and regain their trust in us and our services."

Complimentary Offering and "Welcome Back" Appreciation Programme

While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, the company is committed to helping its customers protect their personal data and will provide a complimentary offering to assist users in enrolling in identity theft protection services and/or similar programmes. The implementation will be at a local level and further details will be made available shortly in each region.

The company will also roll out the PlayStation Network and Qriocity "Welcome Back" programme, to be offered worldwide, which will be tailored to specific markets to provide our consumers with a selection of service options and premium content as an expression of the company's appreciation for their patience, support and continued loyalty.

Central components of the "Welcome Back" programme will include:
  • Each territory will be offering selected PlayStation entertainment content for free download. Specific details of this content will be announced in each region soon.
  • All existing PlayStation Network customers will be provided with 30 days free membership in the PlayStation Plus premium service. Current members of PlayStation Plus will receive 30 days free service.
  • Q Music Unlimited subscribers (in countries where the service is available) will receive 30 days free service.
Additional "Welcome Back" entertainment and service offerings will be rolled out over the coming weeks as the company returns the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services to the quality standard users have grown to enjoy and strive to exceed those exceptions.

SNEI will continue to reinforce and verify security for transactions before resuming the PlayStation Store and other Qriocity operations, scheduled for this month.

For more information about the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services intrusion and restoration, keep an eye on PlayStation.Blog at blog.eu.playstation.com, twitter.com/PlayStationEU and eu.playstation.com for the latest updates.

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Oldboy,

Great News. That will be even greater when they catch those responsible.

Looks like some sort of free software and PS+ for a month. My card details on PSN are cancelled so i may just use pre-paid cards for a little while. Not really Sony's fault but it has made me aware that this sort of thing can happen and on a 'huge' scale.

Has also taught me that i would like to find a way to keep tabs on my credit rating as a matter of course.

Lets hope something good can come from this.

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
2 Free Games

According to the CVG site Sony will be giving its PSN customers a choice of 2 free games out of 5 for PS3, and a choice of 2 out of 4 for PSP users. This as a gift for customers affected by the 'Hack'

No news on which games are available yet as network is still down. Would make sense that they were Sony developed games though, can't imagine many 3rd parties giving them away.

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Cookie Monster said:
2 Free Games

According to the CVG site Sony will be giving its PSN customers a choice of 2 free games out of 5 for PS3, and a choice of 2 out of 4 for PSP users. This as a gift for customers affected by the 'Hack'

No news on which games are available yet as network is still down. Would make sense that they were Sony developed games though, can't imagine many 3rd parties giving them away.

Looks as you will be getting your free game not one but TWO.
smiley-laughing.gif

Sony said they will offer free identity theft insurance and they will be sending out Activision emails within the next several days, so not long now.

I think the free games are only for Europe, don’t quote me on this as I may be wrong but a news page that I read a couple of days ago said only for Europe and not USA.

Wonder what the free games will be?
smiley-tongue-out.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts