So where do you get your Music?

idc

It will be about 80% physical form and 20% downloads. Of the physical music about 80% is from independent and second hand shops, particularly Fopp and Lost in Music. The rest is the odd thing from the majors and a good bit from Amazon. Of the downloads 95% are from itunes with the rest made up of some free stuff from emusic and Amazon.

At the moment I have stopped buying downloads as I think they are too expensive, the sound is better from an imported CD and you get a back up with the CD. But I have moved house so I am closer to the shops and Fopp has reopened after going into administration. I got two CDs for 10p each today at a jumble sale, one of which was new and in its cellophane and is on Amazon for £12.00. The best bargain I have ever found.

T

the record spot

Physical media only; Beatles White Album for £10, an original Yes "Yes Album" and QUeen Live Killers, all on CD, all sound pretty damn good, but especially the Yes disc. Brilliant. Thanks to the excellent Hogs Head in Edinburgh - great shop.

daveh75

i buy physical media only,but i do use Spotify and last fm for demoing albums and discovering new artist's/music(to me). I tend to buy mainly from Amazon and play nowaday's for the convenience,

matthewpiano

I've tried downloading (iTunes and eMusic) but its still 100% physical media for me, either CD or vinyl. I have no further interest in downloading at all, although Spotify is very useful for trying things before parting with cash.

I buy mostly from Amazon, X-Records in Bolton, and occasionally HMV.

jubair

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
I tend to buy cd's all from amazon as they have largest choice at lowest prices. They usually have all the different versions of any album so you can choose exactly which one you want. I buy cd's only as I like to own an original hard copy with all the artwork and vinyl takes up too much space for my liking. I also find I can get most of my money back by selling on through amazon if I don't like the cd so I take more risks when buying than I used to. I generally buy on the back of reviews from a few trusted online music magazines (cmg, pitchfork, allmusic and resident advisor).

A

Anonymous

CD's, every time.....I feel I need to have something tangable in my hand to justify the expense. 99% from play and amazon.

oldleodensian

Oct 7, 2008
Visit site
CDs and vinyl only, usually online retailers play, amazon,cd-wow (but alaways wary of sloooow delivery), hmv...I just look for the best price. So no wonder the likes of Woolies went down.

A

Anonymous

For new vinyl I buy, where possible, direct from the label, usually in the US - many of these now come with a coupon so you can easily and legally download mp3 versions for Ipod, phone, etc. Great idea which all companies should follow. Mainly seems to be the smaller labels that do this where vinyl sales are going from strength to strength.

Now because of the exchange rate it is cheaper to buy import vinyl from independent shops here in the UK such as Rough Trade, Piccadilly and Action Records.

CD's are bought from Amazon (marketplace as well), Ebay, Play, HMV online or any of the independent shops if they have exclusives. Rough Trade are particullarly good for this as they regularly have exclusive bonus discs to give away. The Fleet Foxes debut came with a bonus disc (well before the recent 2 disc reissue) as did the current Andrew Bird album.

Because of Spotify I cancelled my Emusic subscription and now use that as a listening / review tool for new purchases. If the albums I downloaded from Emusic were particularly good I would buy the cd as well. Emusic allowed me to make my own mind up rather than rely on magazine reviews.

I have only ever paid for two download only albums from Itunes when the bitrate was quite low. It was the only option I had to own them. Still a bit of a completist when it comes to my favourite bands / labels.

Downloads are still too expensive. You can generally get new releases, on cd, online for about £9 and the download version, at low bitrates, is normally only a £1 or so cheaper. I can rip my own cds at my preferred bitrate (Apple lossless) and have a physical copy if my hard drive should ever crash.

I spend between £100 and £200 monthly on physical releases and because of Spotify, £nil on downloads.

idc

oldleodensian:...I just look for the best price. So no wonder the likes of Woolies went down.

I have bought CDs and DVDs from Woolworths and the supermarkets and even a motorway service station, but only if I spot a gem at a bargain price, or it is a band where I will get their new releases. For a while Tesco were doing new releases for just under a tenner, which was very good at the time.

I have also done well over the years by checking through all the albums and CDs on sale for lower and miss-priced ones. I picked up a David Bowie CD in HMV recently for £5.99 where the others were all £7.99.

Nothing beats the joy an independent or second hand shop, where you do not know what you will find and the staff are friendly and up for a chat about the music.

A

Anonymous

CDs from amazon, one click shopping makes it soooo easy to browse and buy. Vinyl from record fairs, charity shops and second hand record shops. Download just dont do it for me.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
CDs normally from play.com, sometimes from Tesco. I hardly ever buy a CD from a shop like HMV as theyre normally 3 or 4 quid more expensive than online. If I buy CDs in somewhere like HMV it will be a stack of old stuff in their quite frequent 3 for a tenner type sales.

Downloads. I dont have that many but will sometimes download single tracks from iTunes. I have never bought a full album as I like to have the CD. iTunes is also very useful for discovering new music (which I will then go and buy from play.com).

A

Anonymous

cd,s from amazon and play for me too,even with all this talk on the forum about playing music through a computer,it,s great to see that nearly everybody still buys their music on physical formats.

So all that talk on another thread about the future of cds,are they still viable in the long term.Me thinks so,dont you?

Wightknight

Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
CDs online from Amazon and HMV

About 40% of my music is now downloaded from eMusic, 7Digital and Amazon.

I used to insist on having the physical media, but since using eMusic, I have been experimenting with artists whose CDs I wouldn't otherwise have bought. This has really helped me to broaden my musical tastes. 7Digital and Amazon often have mp3 albums for £3 or £4 and I have bought these when I wouldn't have spent £8 on buying the CD from Amazon.

A

Anonymous

I download music to hear what it's like and then I wait a while and purchase the cd second hand off ebay or amazon
emotion-2.gif
. A cheap skate I know but it still adds to the economy.

A

Anonymous

I use to buy my CDs from the likes of HMV, Amazon, Play, etc. as well as some independent shops (including second-hand). Then nothing for a few years (2004-2008 roughly) as nothing to listen on + busy job. I bought about 30+ when Woolworths closed down. Now jobless, I borrow CDs from the local libraries. And even better now, I've discovered Spotify (thanks to this forum). Not sure I will be buying CDs again any time soon. Also get my music fix from Last.fm or Paradise Radio (again because of this forum).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts