Question Hello - can you help please?

The Dogster

Nov 13, 2023
Visit site
Hi - I am new to the What HiFi community and would like your help please - I like my music and want to own a Retro HiFi system that sounds as good as possible BUT without spending thousands of pounds....sound familiar?
I have recently completed a home extension and I am currently moving my old HiFi equipment back into the new rooms
I am wondering about spending some money on some retro or older equipment
Firstly, here is a list of my old equipment I had as a teenager and as said still have today - nothing fancy at all BUT I do remember it sounding good in the early to mid 80's:)

Mini Sound System - Aiwa
  • Amplifier - Stereo Integrated Amplifier SA-A60 - 2x 35w - see pic
  • AM/FM Stereo tuner ST-R50 - see pic
  • Stereo Integrated Amplifier SA-A60 - see pic
  • The above was complimented by a CD player - Technics Technics SL-P 1 - see pics
  • Finally Mission 700 speakers made up my teen HiFi system - these were damaged so no longer have them

As said I remember it sounding really good - to my ears

I also bought later on a Technics Class AA Amplifier - Technics SUV60 and 2x Linear Tracking turntables

So to the question

I want to buy some 2nd hand gear - so a good pair of floor standing speakers and a decent amp that will drive them and have been looking at the following:

Speakers
  • Mission 752 Freedom​
  • Mission 753​
  • Monitor Audio Silver RX6​
  • Monitor Audio Silver 8i​
  • Monitor Audio Silver 300​
  • Monitor Audio RS6 Silver
Amps
  • Cambridge Audio CXA80 CXA 80
  • Quad 306 Power Amplifier, 34 Pre-Amp
Budget is around £750 to £900

I know you have maybe had this question many many times BUT I just would like more of an expert than me to suggest a combo from the list of speakers and amps I have on my watch list above OR suggest other items to look at. I know this is very much personal choice but I suppose I want to play my old CD's loud and with a degree of quality - the only other thing is that the amplifier I suppose should consider streaming as my son's have everything on Spotify

Any help gladly appreciated - many thanks Nigel

Attachments

• aiwa_sd-l60_stereo_cassette_deck.jpg
    aiwa_sd-l60_stereo_cassette_deck.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 8
  • aiwa_st-r50_am-fm_stereo_tuner.jpg
    aiwa_st-r50_am-fm_stereo_tuner.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 6
  • stereo_integrated_amplifier_sa_a60_1225650.jpg
    stereo_integrated_amplifier_sa_a60_1225650.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 5
  • TechnicsSL-P1.jpg
    TechnicsSL-P1.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Mission 700 old.jpg
    Mission 700 old.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 9

jetblack9090

Nov 18, 2022
Visit site
Actually some of that vintage Aiwa sounds pretty good as I recall, but personally I would advise against second hand purchases, only do to the fact that you don't know what's wrong with it or if there is anything wrong with it at all.

Buy something new, buy something with a warranty and something with the ability to take it back into the shop should there be any issues.

To your question mission as I know makes a great speaker and a very musical sounding speaker. Regardless of whether it's a floor standing or a bookshelf model I've always been quite smitten with mission loudspeakers.

If you want my honest opinion I would suggest going with the new CXA 61 coupled with some q acoustics 3020i loudspeakers. You'll get a fantastic amplifier with fantastic speakers and more importantly the pairing of the two equate to fantastic sound.

Furthermore both products from Richer sounds at least come in within your budget and additionally they will offer you the ability to demo the two products together in their shop.

Reactions: The Dogster

The Dogster

Nov 13, 2023
Visit site
Actually some of that vintage Aiwa sounds pretty good as I recall, but personally I would advise against second hand purchases, only do to the fact that you don't know what's wrong with it or if there is anything wrong with it at all.

Buy something new, buy something with a warranty and something with the ability to take it back into the shop should there be any issues.

To your question mission as I know makes a great speaker and a very musical sounding speaker. Regardless of whether it's a floor standing or a bookshelf model I've always been quite smitten with mission loudspeakers.

If you want my honest opinion I would suggest going with the new CXA 61 coupled with some q acoustics 3020i loudspeakers. You'll get a fantastic amplifier with fantastic speakers and more importantly the pairing of the two equate to fantastic sound.

Furthermore both products from Richer sounds at least come in within your budget and additionally they will offer you the ability to demo the two products together in their shop.
Thank you so much - will check it out

Reactions: jetblack9090
Hi - I am new to the What HiFi community and would like your help please - I like my music and want to own a Retro HiFi system that sounds as good as possible BUT without spending thousands of pounds....sound familiar?
I have recently completed a home extension and I am currently moving my old HiFi equipment back into the new rooms
Firstly, here is a list of my old equipment I had as a teenager and as said still have today - nothing fancy at all BUT I do remember it sounding good in the early to mid 80's:)

Mini Sound System - Aiwa
  • The above was complimented by a CD player - Technics Technics SL-P 1 - see pics
  • Finally Mission 700 speakers made up my teen HiFi system - these were damaged so no longer have them

I also bought later on a Technics Class AA Amplifier - Technics SUV60 and 2x Linear Tracking turntables

So to the question

I want to buy some 2nd hand gear - so a good pair of floor standing speakers and a decent amp that will drive them and have been looking at the following:

Speakers
  • Mission 752 Freedom​
  • Mission 753​
Amps

I know you have maybe had this question many many times BUT I just would like more of an expert than me to suggest a combo from the list of speakers and amps I have on my watch list above OR suggest other items to look at. I know this is very much personal choice but I suppose I want to play my old CD's loud and with a degree of quality - the only other thing is that the amplifier I suppose should consider streaming as my son's have everything on Spotify

Hi Nigel.

If you want to stick to mini system then the Marantz Melody X C-R612 could well be the answer. Haven't heard the 612 but the first incarnation the 603. I would say it betters some budget full-size separates, quite amazing. All you have to do is add speakers.

Here's the link

Reactions: JDL and The Dogster

The Dogster

Nov 13, 2023
Visit site
Hi Nigel.

If you want to stick to mini system then the Marantz Melody X C-R612 could well be the answer. Haven't heard the 612 but the first incarnation the 603. I would say it betters some budget full-size separates, quite amazing. All you have to do is add speakers.

Here's the link

Wow looks neat - many thanks

Reactions: plastic penguin

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Hi there and Welcome. Some are pretty against second hand BUT there are some great deal to be had, you just have to be vigilant, crumpled drivers, smelly electronics, water damage and so on. If the price is too good to be true it generally is.

Now for 900 quid you can buy quite a system and one that was considered pretty high end some years ago.

Mission speakers id stay away form these days but there are some id pick up in heart beat if I saw them in good condition. 703's, m74's being some very good options

BandW 600 series are phenomenal speakers but fetch quite a prices these days, they're highly sort after.

dont overlook the humble DVD player for CD replay, people let them go for a 10er and some sound great, the pioneer 656a for example, fantastic. sound 10-20 quid.

Also dont overlook older AVR's, all the digital connectivity you could shake a stick at, put out to pasture because the AV crowd move along so quickly tech wise. lets have a gander......Arcam AVR 300 70quid right now. Something a bit newer? how about an Anthem MRX 300, 160quid! you can then easily connect your TV then as well.

Now lets handle that Spotify, chromcast Audio 30-40 quid then use your phone to cast over to it just make sure you get the optical kit one. 3.5mm to optical, a little yellow lead and you will need a 5volt power lead.

So lets put a system together

Mission 703 (some on there right now though collection only worth the drive or the price of a man with a van) 150 quid, big so you need to measure PLAYs VERY LOUD INDEED nothing will match them on the market today for outright clout. but make no mistake they sound nice too.

Anthem MRX300 160quid

DVD player pioneer 656a 20quid

chromcast audio 20-40quid

For 370 you could have a system that beats anything thats on on the market right now for that price.

Hope that helps

jetblack9090

Nov 18, 2022
Visit site
Hi there and Welcome. Some are pretty against second hand BUT there are some great deal to be had, you just have to be vigilant, crumpled drivers, smelly electronics, water damage and so on. If the price is too good to be true it generally is.

Now for 900 quid you can buy quite a system and one that was considered pretty high end some years ago.

Mission speakers id stay away form these days but there are some id pick up in heart beat if I saw them in good condition. 703's, m74's being some very good options

BandW 600 series are phenomenal speakers but fetch quite a prices these days, they're highly sort after.

dont overlook the humble DVD player for CD replay, people let them go for a 10er and some sound great, the pioneer 656a for example, fantastic. sound 10-20 quid.

Also dont overlook older AVR's, all the digital connectivity you could shake a stick at, put out to pasture because the AV crowd move along so quickly tech wise. lets have a gander......Arcam AVR 300 70quid right now. something a bit newer Anthem mix 300 160quid! you can then easily connect your TV then as well.

now lets handle that Spotify, chromcast Audio 30-40 quid then use your phone to cast over to it just make sure you get the optical kit one. 3.5mm to optical, a little yellow lead and you will need a 5volt power lead.

so lets put a system together

Mission 703 (some on there right now though collection only) 150 quid, big so you need to measure PLAYs VERY LOUD INDEED nothing will match them on the market today for outright clout. but make no mistake they sound nice too.

Anthem MRX300 160quid

DVD player pioneer 656a 20quid

chromcast audio 20-40quid

For 370 you could have a system that beats anything thats on on the market right now for that price.

Hope that helps
Fantastic suggestions all, and I never said I was against second hand, not outright at least. Sounds like the OP is new to hi-fi and I remember when I started out about 10 years ago I went through this trap of buying second hand and buying used, and I learned pretty quickly that the majority of what I was buying was broken or about to break. If only I had known what I was buying and what to look out for, I would have had a substantial sum.

Obviously that initial experience is what turned me off to second hand, I think if you have friends or you go through a shop that offers second hand, and some do, you can rest assure that what you're buying is good and has been thoroughly vetted against issues.

Matter of fact I picked up I used CD player several months back from a local dealer who offers used gear. As I said I know the dealer very well and also feel confident buying used from him because I know he checks it out as an enthusiast would.

Not a criticism I just thought I would add my two cents, perhaps too further enlighten OP.

By the way anthem gear it's quite stunning, at least a little bit that I've heard. Tons of power kind of American in its sound, thick rich bass and a ton of muscle.

Wow looks neat - many thanks
Any of the speakers you mentioned should be a good match for the Marantz. And Marantz have been in existence for around 50 years making hi-fi and I've yet to hear a bad amp. The only trick is to get the right speakers for your room and, as all speaker vary slightly, to best to match.

If you don't mind buying used PMC GB1i are a great match for the little Marantz, albeit it will take you over budget. These speakers cost new around £1600, which shows the quality of the Marantz.

The GB1s are compact but pack a real punch.

Gray

Mini Sound System - Aiwa

So to the question

Speakers
  • Mission 752 Freedom​
  • Mission 753​
Amps

I owned the 700 speakers too Dogster and really liked them.
(That's how I instantly recognised your picture as the more expensive and out of reach 770 model).

I've never bought anything, other than a car / motorbike, secondhand - so I'm bound to agree with the suggestion to buy new.
Having said that, the hi-fi I've sold has always been in mint condition - find similar and you could be lucky.
I'd still advise you to buy new, to avoid buying trouble.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
There's a question, I've had many vintage sets it would take a long time to go into detail but if your after a good deal and top quality sound you must not look past a pioneer a400 amp usually around 280 £ .
I've tried bettering it lately with 2 mid tier highly praised amps north of a thousand pounds an acram sa30 that won an eisa product of the year award and I'm still lying to myself that it's better.
As for speakers it all about what you want to spend and being very careful and rather lucky to boot, there's offers from mission of all kinds for peanuts that love to be driven by the a400, the mission mx3's are a lovely set and still new enough not to suffer the woes of age.
Honest there's so much to pick from it might be better looking through things you like the look of them hitting Google for the old reviews of the day.

Attachments

• PXL_20231019_140144069.jpg
    PXL_20231019_140144069.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 4

matthewpianist

@plastic penguin makes a good suggestion with the Marantz MCR-612, and I'd add the Denon CEOL as its pretty much the same thing. They've just released a new version, the CEOL N12, but there's still a saving to be had by buying the previous N10 (without DAB) or N11 (with DAB) models. The biggest upgrade on the N12 is the inclusion of better quality speaker terminals - the only shortcoming I've identified with the N10. These system do compete very well with affordable separates, and mine is giving me huge pleasure after owning some pretty expensive kit.

I'd agree fully about the Pioneer A400 amplifier, it's superb and will match anything new within your budget. They are old enough to have developed faults now, so it pays to buy carefully and look with patience, but find a good one and you'll have a wonderful heart to your system.

If you want to have separates and decide to buy new, I recommend the Denon PMA600NE amplifier. It's got a slightly retro vibe to the design but, most importantly it's a sterling performer at a good price. Also very good is the NAD C316BEE V2.0. It's unassuming and no-nonsense, but it sounds superb and will happily drive a wide range of speakers. If you want a CD player, I'd go for the Denon DCD600NE.

Be careful with Mission 75-series speakers. They can sound stunning, but have been known to develop issues with the tweeters as they get older. Again, search with patience, find a good pair and you'll be a happy man. The originals are better IMO than the Freedom versions, but the latter are still nice speakers.

If buying new floor standing speakers within your budget I suggest the Mission LX4 MkII. They're competitively priced, and sound great. The Mission QX4 MkII are even better, and cleaner sounding thanks to the more advanced porting and cabinet strength, but they would eat up most of your budget.

Reactions: JDL and The Dogster

The Dogster

Nov 13, 2023
Visit site
@plastic penguin makes a good suggestion with the Marantz MCR-612, and I'd add the Denon CEOL as its pretty much the same thing. They've just released a new version, the CEOL N12, but there's still a saving to be had by buying the previous N10 (without DAB) or N11 (with DAB) models. The biggest upgrade on the N12 is the inclusion of better quality speaker terminals - the only shortcoming I've identified with the N10. These system do compete very well with affordable separates, and mine is giving me huge pleasure after owning some pretty expensive kit.

I'd agree fully about the Pioneer A400 amplifier, it's superb and will match anything new within your budget. They are old enough to have developed faults now, so it pays to buy carefully and look with patience, but find a good one and you'll have a wonderful heart to your system.

If you want to have separates and decide to buy new, I recommend the Denon PMA600NE amplifier. It's got a slightly retro vibe to the design but, most importantly it's a sterling performer at a good price. Also very good is the NAD C316BEE V2.0. It's unassuming and no-nonsense, but it sounds superb and will happily drive a wide range of speakers. If you want a CD player, I'd go for the Denon DCD600NE.

Be careful with Mission 75-series speakers. They can sound stunning, but have been known to develop issues with the tweeters as they get older. Again, search with patience, find a good pair and you'll be a happy man. The originals are better IMO than the Freedom versions, but the latter are still nice speakers.

If buying new floor standing speakers within your budget I suggest the Mission LX4 MkII. They're competitively priced, and sound great. The Mission QX4 MkII are even better, and cleaner sounding thanks to the more advanced porting and cabinet strength, but they would eat up most of your budget.
Great advise thanks for taking the time...

Reactions: matthewpianist

The Dogster

Nov 13, 2023
Visit site
Thanks to all so far for taking the time to advise me - much appreciated - I have to say I am veering towards NEW speakers and a 2nd hand refurbed amp BUT will do my investigations carefully

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site

Mini Sound System - Aiwa

So to the question

Speakers
  • Mission 752 Freedom​
  • Mission 753​
Amps

Hi Nigel, welcome to the forum.
You alluded to getting second hand and there's nothing wrong with that but always, do the due diligence and the usual caveats apply. eBay has trusted sellers list and avoid those who don't offer any right to refund.

Also if you check out https://www.hyperfi.co.uk/ these usually consist of old models or B stocks and there's real savings to be had.

If you prefer new, B-stock or ex-dem check out below (see links)

Amp: Denon PMA-720 2x85w Stereo Integrated Amplifier PMA720 - Black £149.99
DAC/Streamer: WiiM Pro Plus £249
Speakers: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2 (£259)
CD Player: B-stock Marantz CD6007 CD Player Black CD-6007 £249.99

Total £907.99

Last edited:

The Dogster

Nov 13, 2023
Visit site
Hi Nigel, welcome to the forum.
You alluded to getting second hand and there's nothing wrong with that but always, do the due diligence and the usual caveats apply. eBay has trusted sellers list and avoid those who don't offer any right to refund.

If you prefer new, B-stock or ex-dem check out below (see links)

Amp: Denon PMA-720 2x85w Stereo Integrated Amplifier PMA720 - Black
DAC/Streamer: WiiM Pro Plus £249
Speakers: Eiac Debut 2.0 B5.2 (£259)
CD Player: B-stock Marantz CD6007 CD Player Black CD-6007 £249.99

Total £907.99

brilliant thank you...will check now

Reactions: Jasonovich

Gray

Thanks to all so far for taking the time to advise me - much appreciated - I have to say I am veering towards NEW speakers and a 2nd hand refurbed amp BUT will do my investigations carefully
I've seen a recommendation for Hyperfi on this thread.
Do yourself a favour first Nigel and read the following thread:

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I've seen a recommendation for Hyperfi on this thread.
Do yourself a favour first Nigel and read the following thread:
I do know this company has been around for a very long time.
I have pulled up Trust Pilot, they seem to have a pretty good rating but if there's any doubt, I would suggest looking at other alternatives such as Richer Sounds.

Gray

I do know this company has been around for a very long time.
I have pulled up Trust Pilot, they seem to have a pretty good rating but if there's any doubt, I would suggest looking at other alternatives such as Richer Sounds.

Yes, the shop was around long ago (and long before my encounter with them).
Just wouldn't want anybody to suffer the way I did.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Yes, the shop was around long ago (and long before my encounter with them).
Just wouldn't want anybody to suffer the way I did.
Thanks Gray for picking this up, I wasn't aware. Back in the 80s when I actually brought the WHF magazine, Hyperfi and Richer Sounds had their adverts spread across the pages.

I have very positive experience with Richer Sounds and I thought the former was a legit operation too. I even checked Trust Pilot before making my recommendation but even so, in view of your bad experience with them, it would be prudent to stay far away from Hyperfi. Thanks for bringing this to light.

Reactions: Gray

Greg W

Sep 18, 2023
Visit site

Mini Sound System - Aiwa

So to the question

Speakers
  • Mission 752 Freedom​
  • Mission 753​
Amps

Not sure they would "go" with your system but I'd suggest some 1990's Tannoy speakers, poss the 637.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Dear All many thanks for all of your replies - I went with the Monitor Audio Silver RX6's and went to collect last Sunday - a very helpful gentleman and totally honest. The Cambridge Audio amp and these speakers sound wonderful....really impressed and satisfied - now looking for a Marantz 6007 - thanks all again
Nigel
Monitor Audio Silver are mighty fine speakers, I have Silver R270 and Bronze Radius in my 5:1 setup. These have an incredible soundstage.
Very glad tbese worked out for you 😁👍

TRENDING THREADS