Question Do you still buy vinyl records, and where from?

Fandango Andy

Reports suggest an 11.7% year on year from 2022 to 2023. The previous year grew by 2.9% showing a strong escalation in growth. The result was 5.9million units (of new records) sold in the UK in 2023.

I have only ever purchased a handful of new records. Growing up in the 80's I listened to music on cassette on my Walkman, and then on CD, so never really owned any records. I started collecting them in the early/mid 2000's and have a modest collection of a few hundred. Most are 2nd hand purchased from second hand record shops, charity shops and a few record fairs. like the experience of browsing the racks and finding a bargain (2nd pressing of Revolver for £2). While I will happily buy a CD or DVD online, I want to hold record in my hand and inspect it before buying.

I don't buy many records these days. Charity shops don't get the same selection they used to, record shops are expensive and I tend not to have time to visit fairs. Plus as my collection grows there is less I want to buy. When something is £1 in a charity shop you will happily take a flyer on record because you vaguely remember liking the one hit of it from years ago, but for £££ you only buy what you really want, when you can find it.

The question is, do you still buy vinyl, what are you buying, new or second hand, and where from?

martois

Dec 24, 2023
Visit site
Something to consider (if they ship to the UK): If you are interested in new vinyl pressings, vinyl me please has a library of available records and a monthly subscription plan. They offer different genres of interest (country, rock, jazz, etc). I participate in their "essentials" category. It includes a variety of genres. If you dont like that month's pick, you can swap out for a number of different choices. I love it!

Reactions: Fandango Andy

Fandango Andy

Also--Discogs is a great app for inventory of your collection, connecting with friends (to see their collections), and you can buy/sell directly from the app. It provides statistics on sales prices for different pressings etc. Great app/website to check out.

I gave up trying to catalogue my records with Discogs, most are so old they don't have barcodes and it takes forever to imput manually as there are so many versions of most records.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I like you grew up in the 80/90s and it was cassette cd and mini disc, mp3, iTunes and finally full blown streaming. So don’t really suffer from nostalgia with the format just curiosity.

I only really buy new and I’m very selective, I’ve got to really want it. If the record is too expensive I buy the cd.

The biggest place is hmv which are now on the rise again new store opened in Oxford street again

But there are loads, assai records, the drift, strip joint, juno. All good prices.

Fandango Andy

I like you grew up in the 80/90s and it was cassette cd and mini disc, mp3, iTunes and finally full blown streaming. So don’t really suffer from nostalgia with the format just curiosity.

I only really buy new and I’m very selective, I’ve got to really want it. If the record is too expensive I buy the cd.

The biggest place is hmv which are now on the rise again new store opened in Oxford street again

But there are loads, assai records, the drift, strip joint, juno. All good prices.

Yes, we have a great HMV in Birmingham, "The Vault". we also have a fantasic second hand record shop: https://www.thediskery.net/

Reactions: Revolutions

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
I buy most albums from Rough Trade as it’s handy to preorder & collect.

Stranger than Paradise is a cool shop in Hackney with a great stock of world music & interesting represses. Their weekly email is nicely curated, too.

Drift is a great shop, too. But that’s in Devon so only mail order from there.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
One of my last two vinyl albums was bought from the artist own website (Gary Numan, I Assassin) the other from Amazon (The Wall) after buying them I discovered a little second hand record shop in town been open about four years yet I didn't know about it. The owner said "why did you buy from Amazon? I can get you whatever you want brand new on vinyl"
Been back a few times and bought second hand CD's. I haven't bought any new vinyl from him yet.
Before that I've bought albums from the website Townsend Records and only recently discovered they are only based about a 20 minute drive from me.

Reactions: Clarkey_71

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
Vinyl remains my go to format, so have never stopped buying.
My first port of call is usually my local record shop in Cambridge - Lost in vinyl.
Vinyl is expensive these days, so I'm not as prolific as I was.
I also use Juno as well as artist's own sites.
If you do your research, Discogs is great but it can sometimes be tricky to identify the copy you want.
Likewise with ebay. Research the seller and check feedback.
I have used amazon, but try to limit what I buy there. It's generally cheaper, but I'd rather spend a little extra in an indie store.
I have been an avid crate digger in the past, but not so much now.
If you're buying second hand, I would strongly urge you to buy a decent record cleaner too.

Reactions: martois

Oxfordian

I'll pick up vinyl from wherever I can.

My go to store is Music Nostalgia in Truro, a small store but they get some good second hand LP's in as well as a good selection of new Vinyl, enjoying some excellent pre-loved vinyl from them at the moment and saving a good chunk of money over recently repressed vinyl.

On line I'll use The Vinyl Adventure, HMV and Amazon, I have done a couple of imports from Acoustic Sounds which went well much to my surprise.

DCarmi

My go to store is Music Nostalgia in Truro
I've bought a few albums from there when visiting Truro.

Normally, I shop online looking for bargains. I also put vinyl on my Az wishlist so if someone wants to buy something for my Christmas or Birthday there's a choice. (This Christmas, no records but I did get some CDs).

I think people don't understand that I am always happy with just music as gifts and feel they have to buy something different the next time. The three bottles of whisky I got this Christmas do tend to reduce the disappointment somewhat.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site

Normally, I shop online looking for bargains. I also put vinyl on my Az wishlist so if someone wants to buy something for my Christmas or Birthday there's a choice. (This Christmas, no records but I did get some CDs).

I think people don't understand that I am always happy with just music as gifts and feel they have to buy something different the next time. The three bottles of whisky I got this Christmas do tend to reduce the disappointment somewhat.
Tell the cheapskates whisky and music!

Reactions: DCarmi

Oxfordian

My Christmas list did get me some CD's and one LP, it also unwrapped a rather nice jumper, thankfully no whiskey as I cannot stand the stuff.

bp_reid

Jun 5, 2023
Visit site
Yup, dusted off my old Pro-Ject last year and have already picked up records from Sounds of the Universe, Fopp, Rough Trade, Reckless and a few charity shops in London plus Drift + a couple more charity shops in the south west.

I've also experienced the downside of a fragile format e.g. stepping on my copy of the Velvet underground and Nico...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts