Separate components?

spl84

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
So I have a pretty basic entry level setup with an Audio Technica 120, a Sony Stereo receiver, and some Klipsch bookshelf speakers. To me my setup sounds pretty impressive but I would definitely like more power and depth to the sound. I'm already looking at getting some nice floorstanding speakers but I ultimately would like to invest in some standalone components like pre amps and power amps IF they really make that much of a difference. I really don't have anywhere local to go and listen to such a setup but what do you guys think? Does it sound that much better and what are the key differences? I assume there will be cleaner sound due to less interference which would be great...

DCarmi

Ughh!
  • What budget? This is kind of critical.
  • What sort of room size?
  • Which speakers are you thinking of getting?
I am guessing you are looking at a relative budget friendly option. As far as I know the turntable does not have an inbuilt preamp so looking for an amp with phono (moving magnet) input would be a good idea.

I'd probably be looking at something like the Marantz PM6007 amp which as good budget friendly all-rounder.
If your budget is bigger then a lot of options open up. Auditioning would be the best way to go but I would start by trawling the web and looking at reviews. Decide on you budget and stick to it.

To answer your question on how much difference. The answer is potentially a huge difference and it is not just power and bass. It is hearing more detail and clarity in the music, like being able to pick out a triangle or a tap of a tambourine. Also spacially, so you feel more immersed in the music.

That said get the system wrong and you risk being disappointed.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Hi there spl84 and welcome to the forum, I believe unless you're planning to spend top dollar on a pre/power amplifier combination, you'd best stick with integrated amplifiers,
Names like, Accuphase. Luxman,Leema, Vitus, Naim etc all make excellent integrated amps that will still set you back many thousands of pounds, once your up to that level of expense, then I believe it might be time to look at the pre/power /mono block route....and we're not even on to the source components yet. If it was me I wouldn't even look at a pre /power combo until I had circa 10k to spend.....hopefully this puts some things in some kind of perspective.

Reactions: spl84 and Al ears

spl84

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
Yeah, Thanks for the responses. I'm actually in the states so it would be dollars for me. Lol, I feel like I'm one of the very few members here from outside the UK. Nevertheless, I think I will hold off on the big upgrades for now and just go with some bigger speakers. I certainly don't have that kind of budget atm. I am tired of the small bookshelf speakers though. I've been mainly looking at Bowers and Wilkins, Klipsche, Monitor, etc. If I ever hit the lotto I will get some French made Focals. lol

Yeah, Thanks for the responses. I'm actually in the states so it would be dollars for me. Lol, I feel like I'm one of the very few members here from outside the UK. Nevertheless, I think I will hold off on the big upgrades for now and just go with some bigger speakers. I certainly don't have that kind of budget atm. I am tired of the small bookshelf speakers though. I've been mainly looking at Bowers and Wilkins, Klipsche, Monitor, etc. If I ever hit the lotto I will get some French made Focals. lol
You're wrong in thinking you're one of the few members outside of the UK...
Hope you find some good speakers.

Are there any stores that will let you try and return? Or send on approval, or anything like that?

I’ve not been to the States for over a decade, but I got the impression there were Best Buy stores in every town. Well at least every state!

Reactions: spl84
Agree with the others, a demo or sale and return are the safest options. Hi-fi is personal.

However, if I was in your situation I would look at components made near the US. Components such as Totem Arro & Bryston (both Canadian) but if Bryston is outside your budget, then perhaps Arcam A39 (all will be available on auction sites).

Reactions: spl84

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Important thing is your budget and a good integrated synergy in your chosen components. Audition should be a must and try some tried and tested combinations, if they worked in the past for some ears they may work for you as well; its all personal choice....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts