Budget speakers and stereo amp

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

AndrewF

Feb 3, 2023
Visit site
I picked up a pair of Triangle Borrea BR3's for $250. They're awfully nice standmounts, even for twice that price. I have them paired with an Onkyo integrated amp and a Wiim Mini, in a very competent secondary system. With speakers stands and a bag of river rocks, the whole system (including decent generic cables) is around $700.

armondo666

Feb 20, 2022
Visit site
Do any of you have any recommendations for a budget stereo amp ($100-300) that sounds good and likewise ($200-400) for a pair of bookshelf speakers? Currently I have more of a movie setup that has some small surround sound speakers that don't sound great for music. I want to upgrade, but not jump into something super high end or expensive yet.
Thanks!
both a bit over $$$, NAD 3020 and PSB speakers in Absolute Sound recommended components

amp ... NAD316 $399 with an MM phono stage

amd ... NAD Electronics D 3020 V2 $499

speakers ... PSB Alpha 5 $399/pair

Reactions: Al ears
It is a Fluance RT81, which does have a built in preamp. The Dayton one does have a phono stage as well though.
Indeed.
You only need one but I guess you can work out which is best whenever you get the amp.
I would avoid the Dayton personally if only because, if anything goes wrong, it's going to cost an awful lot to ship it off for rep and if you are on a limited budget that's the last thing you want to be doing

harpoonk31

Feb 14, 2024
Visit site
Indeed.
You only need one but I guess you can work out which is best whenever you get the amp.
I would avoid the Dayton personally if only because, if anything goes wrong, it's going to cost an awful lot to ship it off for rep and if you are on a limited budget that's the last thing you want to be doing
If something goes wrong, would the 5 year warranty cover it?

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
The tubes have limited lifespan, throw out a lot of heat, the sound on many tube amps is too soft and rolled off. That's is just a few examples of more expensive valve or tube amps. If you can buy a Dayton valve amp for 300 Dollars, avoid like the plague. They cost a lot more to produce that a SS amp.
Fabulous for guitar amplification though! Harmonic distortion to die for and the tubes keep the poor working musician warm in the winter.

harpoonk31

Feb 14, 2024
Visit site
Some of your recommendations have been smaller amps like WiiM and Fosi amps, but is there anything you guys can tell me about the Arylic B50? It is within my budget and has the features I am looking for, as well as not being a tube amp.

Fandango Andy

Some of your recommendations have been smaller amps like WiiM and Fosi amps, but is there anything you guys can tell me about the Arylic B50? It is within my budget and has the features I am looking for, as well as not being a tube amp.

There is no definitive answer to the question. Many of these recommendations are Chinese built clas D amps based on the same Texas Instruments chip. They may all be great and the future of budget hifi, but they are all too new to be sure.

As someone who has been using the same budget Marantz for over 20 years, I still lean towards the modern equivalent to what I have, the Marantz PM6007.

Reactions: DougK1
There is no definitive answer to the question. Many of these recommendations are Chinese built clas D amps based on the same Texas Instruments chip. They may all be great and the future of budget hifi, but they are all too new to be sure.

As someone who has been using the same budget Marantz for over 20 years, I still lean towards the modern equivalent to what I have, the Marantz PM6007.
Unfortunately the Arylic seems to be unusually poor in many respects despite having heaps of inputs and options. And I’m sure it uses inferior chip amps too judging my the spec. Versatile maybe, but I’m with you in that a Marantz PM600x of any generation is a safer bet, especially for sound quality.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts