Question Listening Setup for Small Office

Teddy

Jan 3, 2024
Visit site
I'm looking to build out a listening setup for my small office. It's exactly 2.1 x 3.5 meters. Ceiling height is 2.4 meters.

I want to focus on vinyl record playing initially, but would like to expand out the setup to support streaming/Apple Music/Airplay in time.

My current thinking is, at a minimum:
  • Turntable
  • Standmount Speakers
  • Class A/B Integrated Amplifier
Looking for suggestions for the above components to support a room of my size. There's no furniture as such in there at the moment (stuff that's there can be moved around or taken out completely), and no room treatment - so pretty much a blank canvas. I'll need at least a 120x60cm desk for my desk setup.

Budget is ~£1000-2000.

Reactions: Revolutions
I'm looking to build out a listening setup for my small office. It's exactly 2.1 x 3.5 meters. Ceiling height is 2.4 meters.

I want to focus on vinyl record playing initially, but would like to expand out the setup to support streaming/Apple Music/Airplay in time.

• Turntable
  • Standmount Speakers
Looking for suggestions for the above components to support a room of my size. There's no furniture as such in there at the moment (stuff that's there can be moved around or taken out completely), and no room treatment - so pretty much a blank canvas. I'll need at least a 120x60cm desk for my desk setup.

Budget is ~£1000-2000.
This screams active set-up with an added phono stage and any good budget turntable, such as Pro-ject or Rega.

Fandango Andy

• Turntable
  • Standmount Speakers

Budget is ~£1000-2000.

That's not a bad size if all you need to accommodate is a desk and a hifi.

The downside is that with just a desk and no soft furnishings there is going to be a lot of resonance so you will almost certainly need some treatments.

The positive you have flexibility of layout. I would suggest sit with your back to the wall and speakers at the opposite end of the room. this gives you room to get them far enough from the wall.

As for the setup, as one of the other posters suggested a package deal will offer good value. I would take a look at this one.

That gives plenty of budget for a record player. Pro-Ject and Rega are probably the kings of this kind of budget. Try this one:

I would also suggest asking in store for any other packages they can put together for you then listen to them. Don't be afraid of old stock, there are often deals to be had as everyone wants the shiny new things.

good luck, hope you find what you are looking for. Post an update with what you go for.

Fandango Andy

That's not a bad size if all you need to accommodate is a desk and a hifi.

The downside is that with just a desk and no soft furnishings there is going to be a lot of resonance so you will almost certainly need some treatments.

The positive you have flexibility of layout. I would suggest sit with your back to the wall and speakers at the opposite end of the room. this gives you room to get them far enough from the wall.

As for the setup, as one of the other posters suggested a package deal will offer good value. I would take a look at this one.

That gives plenty of budget for a record player. Pro-Ject and Rega are probably the kings of this kind of budget. Try this one:

I would also suggest asking in store for any other packages they can put together for you then listen to them. Don't be afraid of old stock, there are often deals to be had as everyone wants the shiny new things.

good luck, hope you find what you are looking for. Post an update with what you go for.

After I posted this answer yesterday I thought what would I buy if I were in this situation. I came up with the following:

Marantz PM6007 £299
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon £399
WiiM Pro Plus £149
Triangle Borea BR03 £399

Total Price: £1,246 + Cables, rack and stands, less any discounts

I have heard all these items, but not together. I would want to audition the amp and speakers together but think they would work!

Or if I was doing it on a tighter budget I would still go for the WiiM and hit ebay with a view to pairing it with an early 2000s Merantz amp, Mission speakers from the same era and a Pro-Ject (probably a Debut or Debut 2) and would hope to be all in for less than £400.

matthewpianist

Rega Planar 2 (or Planar 3 if you can), Rega io or Brio amp, WiiM Pro Plus, and speakers from Mission (QX1), or Dali (Oberon 1).

Compact but high quality and flexible.

Alternatively, something along the lines of my system (below).

Teddy

Jan 3, 2024
Visit site
After I posted this answer yesterday I thought what would I buy if I were in this situation. I came up with the following:

Marantz PM6007 £299
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon £399
WiiM Pro Plus £149
Triangle Borea BR03 £399

Total Price: £1,246 + Cables, rack and stands, less any discounts

I have heard all these items, but not together. I would want to audition the amp and speakers together but think they would work!

Or if I was doing it on a tighter budget I would still go for the WiiM and hit ebay with a view to pairing it with an early 2000s Merantz amp, Mission speakers from the same era and a Pro-Ject (probably a Debut or Debut 2) and would hope to be all in for less than £400.

Why not opt for the WiiM Amp over the Marantz + WiiM Pro Plus combo?

Reactions: jjbomber

Teddy

Jan 3, 2024
Visit site
Rega Planar 2 (or Planar 3 if you can), Rega io or Brio amp, WiiM Pro Plus, and speakers from Mission (QX1), or Dali (Oberon 1).

Compact but high quality and flexible.

Alternatively, something along the lines of my system (below).
I was considering the Mission 778X + LX2 Mk II combo that's making the rounds for about £650. I might need to find somewhere where I can take a listen.

Reactions: Fandango Andy

Fandango Andy

Why not opt for the WiiM Amp over the Marantz + WiiM Pro Plus combo?

A few reasons, personally I like the "Merantz sound" so would gravitate towards them at this price point. The technology of streamers and DACs is advancing so fast I would keep my amp and streamer separate. A good A/B amp could easily last 20 or 30 years,. Also in response to your question, you asked for A/B, I am guessing from the size of the WiiM that its a class D.

Fandango Andy

I was considering the Mission 778X + LX2 Mk II combo that's making the rounds for about £650. I might need to find somewhere where I can take a listen.
I was considering the Mission 778X + LX2 Mk II combo that's making the rounds for about £650. I might need to find somewhere where I can take a listen

I don't think you will go far wrong with that combo.

matthewpianist

Good shout. If you can hear the 778X with both the LX2 MkII and the QX2 MkII it would be a worthwhile exercise. The LX and QX speakers are both excellent (I've had LX2 MkII, LX3 MkII and QX1 MkII), but the QX are a definite step up in several ways, and you may be able to get an alternative deal. Worth a try!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts