Roon v1.5

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

insider9

DSD64 via Airplay (first conversion to 352.8kHz PCM then downsampling to 44.1kHz)

41955563562_a5535075e3_c.jpg

MQA via Airplay

28128170658_2a3a3fb682_c.jpg

DSD64 with DSP and output to local DAC as PCM (First conversion of DSD to PCM 352.8kHz so you can do DSP then downsampling to 96kHz, headroom adjustment and DSP)

41955587352_4543274444_c.jpg

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
DSD64 via Airplay (first conversion to 352.8kHz PCM then downsampling to 44.1kHz)

MQA via Airplay

DSD64 with DSP and output to local DAC as PCM (First conversion of DSD to PCM 352.8kHz so you can do DSP then downsampling to 96kHz, headroom adjustment and DSP)
how do you bring up the signal path on Roon ? Edit sorry I was speed reading your post and some how missed the bit about little dots *smile*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Glad to hear it :)
and I found the dot that shows the signal path

Anyway I have had to delete the led zeppelin files on Roon and there’s only 3 of the led zeppelin files it did correctly as it was doing my head in I have spent a lot of time trying to merge thoses files together even writing the album serial number in the edit section but still Roon will not merge thoses files together so I deleted them till I find out the reason why it’s not doing it .

I do like Roon and most probably buy the lifetime membership because it will work out cheaper then paying every year for it but apart from those albums I have had issues with I have also had to go behind Roon and correct album covers because sometimes they show the wrong cover from what I’ve got but understand there are meany versions of one album but Roons data base needs improvement I think in regards of all the different versions of albums and albums art needs improvement too not all some as iTunes obviously does this for free and they have very good album art but apart from those little problems it is a good program but just needs that little bit to make it perfect .

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Is just out for 599 pounds. Another cheaper roon end point with a claimed audio optimised usb out to feed a usb dac.

I think this is a reasonable price as compared to the other options :)

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Linn have today released a stable Davaar build which fully integrates their music players with Roon (despite Roon being slow in updating their website with Linn as an official partner).

I haven't bothered trying it with Linn via Airplay, as that was the only option before now, but I'll give the fully integrated version a whirl tomorrow.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Paulq said:
Linn have today released a stable Davaar build which fully integrates their music players with Roon (despite Roon being slow in updating their website with Linn as an official partner).

I haven't bothered trying it with Linn via Airplay, as that was the only option before now, but I'll give the fully integrated version a whirl tomorrow.
I think you should like it I do I think Roon software is very good just a couple of little issues with Roon with finding the right version of a album sometimes or the wrong cover art but I like it Anyway so looks like when my trial ends I will buy the lifetime membership

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Paulq said:

I think you should like it I do I think Roon software is very good just a couple of little issues with Roon with finding the right version of a album sometimes or the wrong cover art but I like it Anyway so looks like when my trial ends I will buy the lifetime membership 

I'd also check out jriver
Much cheaper

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
JRiver does not work very well with Tidal as can be seen from Tidal forum posts. The directors there have no interest in streaming from sites such as Tidal and Spotify. If you are just streaming from your NAS it will probably be fine but it's about $80 per device, if you use a streaming service I would not bother with JRiver. Although someone recommends using BubbleUPnP to get Tidal stream losslessly via JRiver, here is how he set it up: https://blog.dsnyder.ws-e.com/index.php/2016/11/19/streaming-tidal-via-jriver-convolution/

D

Deleted member 108165

insider9 said:
It is free but comparing Foobar to Roon is like comparing Norton Commando to Window 10 :)

Fixed that for ya *biggrin*

New Norton Commando, ooh yes please *smile* You guys need to get away from hifi and get yourself a nice motorbike.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
insider9 said:
Glad to hear it :)
and I found the dot that shows the signal path

Anyway I have had to delete the led zeppelin files on Roon and there’s only 3 of the led zeppelin files it did correctly as it was doing my head in I have spent a lot of time trying to merge thoses files together even writing the album serial number in the edit section but still Roon will not merge thoses files together so I deleted them till I find out the reason why it’s not doing it .

I do like Roon and most probably buy the lifetime membership because it will work out cheaper then paying every year for it but apart from those albums I have had issues with I have also had to go behind Roon and correct album covers because sometimes they show the wrong cover from what I’ve got but understand there are meany versions of one album but Roons data base needs improvement I think in regards of all the different versions of albums and albums art needs improvement too not all some as iTunes obviously does this for free and they have very good album art but apart from those little problems it is a good program but just needs that little bit to make it perfect .

Why not just use iTunes and Airplay? It’s free and by the sound of it does what you want - plays ripped CDs.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:

Sounds like you have some special editions that may not be set up on Roon. Is it just the covers that is the problem?

You are probably better off seeking out the Original Barry Diament masters or some Japanese cds or vinyl, some of those complilations or deluxe editions have a rather poor reputation for sound quality. I gather some of recent remasters are pretty good though. I don't know what's on tidal, on Deezer there are 296 Led Zepp albums. Personally I would stick to the original albums, I only bought Remasters for the car and it was cheap.

insider9

Roon manages cover art in an interesting way. Should you have a pic in the folder with music that's appropriately named, and its resolution would be greater to what Roon would ordinarily use, then that cover art would be used.

Secondly, under edit Roon has a number of covers, so it's easy to change it for a different one, should you wish. Then there's an option of telling Roon a location of the cover art you want to be using. It can be from an URL.

I just hope you didn't delete the rips, Sabbath. All you had to do if art work bothered you, and you didn't want to edit was to remove them from Roon library. Physical data could stay where they were.

Bear in mind any changes to metadata done in Roon won't affect the actual files. They're for Roon use only. Roon only stores info on how to display individual albums.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
It manages tags in an interesting way also. I found, after the first scan of the library, that it allocated artist names that I didn't recognise to some of my albums (incorrectly). When I edit the artist details to the correct ones, rather than then placing that album in the relevant artist folder with the rest of their albums, Roon creates a new artist of the same name.

I haven't yet figured out how to correct it and the lack of being able to do something as elementary as that in a simple way is very offputting.

I can see why people like it but suspect it won't be for me. I'll quite happily revert to a combination of Audirvana+/Linn Kazoo.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Roon manages cover art in an interesting way. Should you have a pic in the folder with music that's appropriately named, and its resolution would be greater to what Roon would ordinarily use, then that cover art would be used.

Secondly, under edit Roon has a number of covers, so it's easy to change it for a different one, should you wish. Then there's an option of telling Roon a location of the cover art you want to be using. It can be from an URL.

I just hope you didn't delete the rips, Sabbath. All you had to do if art work bothered you, and you didn't want to edit was to remove them from Roon library. Physical data could stay where they were.

Bear in mind any changes to metadata done in Roon won't affect the actual files. They're for Roon use only. Roon only stores info on how to display individual albums.
no I knew how to change the cover art but what bothered me was that with the led zeppelin deluxe albums some have 2 or 3 CDs to that one album and Roon was not connecting those albums together but Roon has with anything else .

Anyway not had a good day the Pc I brought at the weekend decided to go wrong big time and lost all of the CDs I ripped which was about a 100 CDs in so I had to take it back but managed to change it for a big gaming rig for £200 more but I had to buy a SSD for it as it never had one so had to take the hard drive out that came with it as it’s speed is only 5200 and it’s 2 Tb .

So I had to put windows 10 on the new SSD ready for the Roon software and also ordered a x2 4TB WD Black hard drives 7500 speed so now plenty of storage as I will use 4TB backing the first hard drive just in case I have a hard drive go wrong in the future .

So Roon put on hold an till I get the hard drives come though the post as there not much I can do till then really I do have the 2TB hard drive sitting here doing nothing but can’t use it as it’s got windows 10 on it and I can not format the hard drive because of the windows as I did put it back in ones I had sorted out the SSD with windows but when I started the PC up it booted from the 2 TB hard drive and not the SSD so not sure how I can clean that drive .

So I’ve got to start all over again and this is way I like CDs so much because the trouble you can get with PCs or hard drives

insider9

It's a shame you're this far away as I could do all of that for you.

What you could do is change boot order in BIOS and just install Windows 10 on the SSD you bought. Use the 2TB drive as your data drive for the time being.

So you're going to run 2 HDDs, one SSD and an optical drive. Make sure you have enough SATA cables. Otherwise you'll be waiting again after your drives arrive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts