Sonos upgrade to CA Stream Magic 6 v2

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Just bought a CA Stream Magic 6 v2 in an atempt to improve what i already think is a great sound from my Sonos ZP80 which has been with me since 2006 and is, with Spotify my only source of music.

I looked at products from HiFi manufactures but they all suffer from high price and compromised features WiFi and no Spotify support. Yes i will be wondering whether the Linn DS's would offer more sound qaulity (missed a Majik DS on ebay £800) but they have no WiFi or Spotify support. (Cheers Cnoevil)

So the CA Stream Magic 6 v2 offers upsampling via a Analog Devices DSP module with Anagram Tec algorythems embeded, Spotify Connect built in and digital in and out and can operate as a preamp all in a £699 package.

So does it sound good? Well yes, Ive been back and forward from my Sonos to the CA. its driving me crazy. Im not sure if I dont have HiFi ears or other people exagerate. The difference is so subtle but hugely enjoyable. Bass and sounds like cymbols and sharp violin strokes are really noticable they start and stop better and pocess more richness, body. I think the lyrics are clearer and complicated bits have more room around them. Everthing seems to bound along at great pace. But more than anything music is hugly enjoyable. Having said all that its very subtle and im not sure if i could get 100% in a blind A/B test. I know that is contradictary but its subtle, is this how every body feels when comparing new kit? If it was was a Linn Cyrus Naim streamer you probally wouldn't question if the thing was better but its a CA product!

This leads me on too streamers in general i suspect it takes alot of Software R&D to produce a product as versatile as the Sonos and to some extent the CA i suspect my use is not typical Audiophile in i dont really stream from a NAS but use Spotify, if i did i would have probally bought that Linn DS. So as to useability Spotify Connect is exactly the same as using Spotify on your iphone etc ive also downloaded a BETA version of the desktop and works well, all synced. The CA app to control a UPnP server seems pretty slow and basic at times. WiFIi conection is not up to Sonos almost 99% stability. I will have to upgrade my Broadband and the wireless side.

So in conclusion yes its enjoyable, Sonos is still brilliant 8 years service for £279 and still going strong. I suspect ill be ebaying the CA well within 8 years as it wont be supported, upgrade like the Sonos. And hopefully by then there will be a HiFi manufacturer making a complete streamer that will be supported and software upgraded for years to come.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Very sensible IMO, Mr Boggit.

It sounds like the very minor perceived sonic differences don't matter much to you. In that case functionality is the real issue: better functionality is going to give you greater long-term satisfaction, and I agree that Sonos is very hard to beat in that regard.

I'm currently using a modded Sonos Connect as the streamer in my main system, and I love it! Which isn't to say I might not investigate other streaming options in future -- but they'd have to do something exceptional to knock Sonos off its perch.

Enjoy!

Matt

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
That's the thing it's hugely enjoyable musical, fun, entertaining in isolation it's when I anaylise I can't work out why! Also it's pretty good to operate especially the Spotify Connect and has "all" Spotify features including top lists and discovery.

I did consider a modded Sonos with yours as a referance. I looked at Magma from Holland who do a PSU and a clocking upgrade for £749 but could not try and have none of the up sampling tech the CA has.

Tried some hi res tracks from Linn and some sound really good, a version of "oh so quiet" by Bluebell & Black tie is brilliant also tried some Schumman symphonies but it's difficult to compare as not on Spotifiy.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Easiest and cheapest way in relation to sound quality (if you stay 24/96 max) and usability for spotify is to buy a bitperfect HDMI-Extractor with a google chromecast stick and then via toslink into your DAC controlling all with Spoticast app,total cost < 100Euro.Amazon fire stick (40US) with native spotify connect is also on its way.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts