Roon v1.5

insider9

For those interested. From today Roon supports Linn DS streamers and unfolds MQA allowing to do full DSP on them too. It would also allow DSP on folded MQA files that can be passed on to MQA DAC. They would still be recognised as MQA. At least that's my understanding. That is one big update.

Now waiting for someone to tempt me with Majik DS ;)

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Folks on the Linn forum appear to be getting rather excited about this even if it isn't in the stable Davaar build, only beta, just yet.

I have never understood the fuss about Roon; probably because I don't even understand it. Would someone please be kind enough to explain to me what it is and what the fuss is about?

Thanks
regular_smile.png

insider9

Bear in mind that at time of recording I believe the version was 1.2 it's now 1.5 many useful features have been added, some tweaked and loads equipment is now Roon Ready. Also since then Roon introduced ROCK which is a standalone Linux installation for the server.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
For those interested. From today Roon supports Linn DS streamers and unfolds MQA allowing to do full DSP on them too. It would also allow DSP on folded MQA files that can be passed on to MQA DAC. They would still be recognised as MQA. At least that's my understanding. That is one big update.

Great news for Linn users for sure :)

MQA unfolding must be the big news. After roon unpacks MQA, can it be decoded by a non MQA DAC now. Or does it still need a MQA enabled DAC . Thanks

insider9

MQA was passed on before without any unfolding and any DAC could play it.

For those of us with non MQA DACs the news is all unfolding can now be done via Roon but most importantly that you can apply DSD on it. Not many product that are capable of that. And I'm not sure I see the point of MQA DACs anymore. I've played 24/96 tracks today which were passed on as 24/96 to my DAC.

Supposedly the bigger feature is the fact that Roon now also allows full DSP without the unfold. This means you can unfold in an MQA DAC should you have one and still use your DSP features. As far as I know this was not possible before as any changes to MQA data stream would result in MQA DAC not recognising that you're playing an MQA track.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
MQA was passed on before without any unfolding and any DAC could play it.

For those of us with non MQA DACs the news is all unfolding can now be done via Roon but most importantly that you can apply DSD on it. Not many product that are capable of that. And I'm not sure I see the point of MQA DACs anymore. I've played 24/96 tracks today which were passed on as 24/96 to my DAC.

Supposedly the bigger feature is the fact that Roon now also allows full DSP without the unfold. This means you can unfold in an MQA DAC should you have one and still use your DSP features. As far as I know this was not possible before as any changes to MQA data stream would result in MQA DAC not recognising that you're playing an MQA track.

Thats great news actually. Breathed new life into my chord DAC. I had tried MQA tracks on my bluesound powernode and actually found the sound very good. Much better than normal tidal tracks. However, it is a completely different matter, that the collection at that time ( almost 2yrs back ), was mostly classical and not my cup of tea.

Roon has now made a MQA DAC redundant I guess, just like external electronics for DSP. What a great all in one :)

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
@insider9

Thanks for taking the time to post that info it really helped. So, in summary, if I used my iMac as a Roon 'Core' then potentially I can use the Roon software on there to access files on my NAS, Tidal and Qobuz and stream them to Roon compatible 'end points'. In doing so I assume the Linn kit would be classed as and recognised as end points by Roon once the Linn software with Roon support was updated.

Have I got that right?

If I have then I must admit I am a little baffled, still, by what it offers that something Like Kazoo doesn't? Sure, Kazoo can't re-order files, amend tags, add artwork etc but I run Audirvana+ side by side with Kazoo on my iMac and that does a pretty decent job in editing tags and integrates with Tidal and Qobuz pretty well, also decoding MQA.

I may be being a bit thick (not unusual) but I just can't see what's so groundbreaking about it. Maybe it's me
regular_smile.png

Strictly Stereo

Jan 29, 2018
Visit site
Paulq said:
...Have I got that right?

Yes.

Paulq said:
If I have then I must admit I am a little baffled, still, by what it offers that something Like Kazoo doesn't? Sure, Kazoo can't re-order files, amend tags, add artwork etc but I run Audirvana+ side by side with Kazoo on my iMac and that does a pretty decent job in editing tags and integrates with Tidal and Qobuz pretty well, also decoding MQA.

I may be being a bit thick (not unusual) but I just can't see what's so groundbreaking about it. Maybe it's me

Roon provides a lot of capabilities which are not included in Kazoo or Audirvana. Some of those capabilities can be found in other products, but Roon integrates them in a stylish and elegant way, and across a broad range of hardware and software platforms. The way it draws connections between music is still unique, so far as I am aware.

Whether or not these features are worth the extra spend will always be subjective. I would suggest that they are, but try it out for yourself and make up your own mind. There is a free 14 day trial.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Paulq said:
@insider9

Thanks for taking the time to post that info it really helped.  So, in summary, if I used my iMac as a Roon 'Core' then potentially I can use the Roon software on there to access files on my NAS, Tidal and Qobuz and stream them to Roon compatible 'end points'. In doing so I assume the Linn kit would be classed as and recognised as end points by Roon once the Linn software with Roon support was updated.

Have I got that right?

If I have then I must admit I am a little baffled, still, by what it offers that something Like Kazoo doesn't?  Sure, Kazoo can't re-order files, amend tags, add artwork etc but I run Audirvana+ side by side with Kazoo on my iMac and that does a pretty decent job in editing tags and integrates with Tidal and Qobuz pretty well, also decoding MQA.

I may be being a bit thick (not unusual) but I just can't see what's so groundbreaking about it.  Maybe it's me 

Just like other music software that you mentioned. Roon can need a lot of processing power depending on your music library size, room correction and upsampling options used. And this kind computing muscle has disadvantages like a noisy pc in the audio room, heat generation and the main issue of jitter transmission.

From what I read regarding roon. The advantage of roon is that, it has its own lossless method of transmission of digital data called as RAAT. Suitable roon end points can decode this incoming data and receive the pristine digital signal alone without any digital bugbears like jitter etc. This contributes to roon's superior digital signal transmission.

And the main advantage is that the audio quality depends on the roon end point alone. And not on the server ( or core as they call it ). So folks can repurpose any existing PC's for the job or get a super power machine from a audiophile company and still have the same sound quality in the end. As the sound quality will depend on the roon end point, which can be a simple machine designed for this purpose alone.

insider9

Newlash and Stricly put it nicely. There are some advantages particularly as Roon setout to have a more holistic view on digital playback. So it's far from just a player but a comprehensive solution for your digital library. And that's any desktop OS and most OS for controllers. All working in sync. At present local plus Tidal (no other streaming) but I know this is the biggest complaint about Roon so wouldn't be surprised if this was addressed in 2.0 release.

They are very much in touch with the community and listen to feedback like no other company. Updates are always useful and adding value.

But if you already using A+ I'm not sure if you'd see as much value in Roon. Unless you'd want to ditch your Mac. I know A+ was supposed to come out for Windows but the delays is now nearly 6 months.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm using jriver but for a streamer I think the room integration is a must.

All all know that the main problem with most streaming units is not the hardware but the software glitches/freezes.

So far no one seems to have an answer.

So my question to room users

Does the software freeze causing music to stop playing with the need to reset ect. Any one using an iPad and the iPad goes into sleep mode and freezes the software or music stops.

Does room work equally well in android/windows?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Does the software freeze causing music to stop playing with the need to reset ect. Any one using an iPad and the iPad goes into sleep mode and freezes the software or music stops.

Provided the device running the Roon Core has enough processing power, and your network can handle the data, no it doesn't freeze.

Roon Remote works equally well on iOS or Android.

insider9

Remote just send the signal in the same way TV remote does. It won't affect playback. I know that early iPads don't support Roon so if yours is one of those do check.

Should you want to try Roon there may be extended trial codes on the internet. Or I will just let you play with Roon whenever you come in.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
spiny norman said:
Andrewjvt said:

Provided the device running the Roon Core has enough processing power, and your network can handle the data, no it doesn't freeze.

Roon Remote works equally well on iOS or Android.

Thanks so that puts any streamer that does not support roon out of the equation for me as all the apps on these things have bad reports on internet.

The app either make or breaks it imo

insider9

Roon Core that includes the server need a PC to run on. Not many streamers that can run it. Where you output the signal (endpoint) or what you control it with (remote) is up to you and many devices are supported. But Roon server needs Windows, Linux or Mac to run on.

It's the quality of the endpoint that matters to sound quality.

daveh75

insider9 said:

So overated media s/w adds support for BS format in short...

insider9

spiny norman said:
insider9 said:
Roon Core that includes the server need a PC to run on.

Alhtough if you have a suitable NAS you can run Roon Core on that: see kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Server_on_NAS

You can indeed but a NAS is ultimately a low powered PC. There are also streamers that can act as cores Innuos Zenith family, Elac Discovery and Roon Nucleus. Number of devices keeps growing.

I probably worded it wrong, the point was Roon requires just a little bit too much in terms of resources than mobile or most streamers can give.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Roon essentials?

There is still no clear user data regarding roon essentials. Except that it has been developed by roon to work on less powerful hardware and is restricted to 30000 tracks. Primarily aimed at streamers for folks who want a all in one solution without a separate roon server running else where.

So at the moment it is unclear if it comes with the heavy processing power functions of roon server like digital room correction and up sampling to DSD etc.

In essence the roon essentials is just a media management software I think. And suitable for streamers , very much alike the blueOS from bluesound etc.

ivavcr

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Currently I am using my Bluesound Powernode 2 with an USB flash drive attached to its back to stream my music. I also have a copy of the music library on my WIN 10 PC on a separate HD and I can also stream it from that source. I assume that if I use the USB drive with Roon I could only benefit from the indexing/cataloguing function the Roon is offering. If I install the Roon to my PC would I be able to use the room correction and DSP functions? If that is a possibility, how is the room acoustic situation assessed? do I need a microphone connected to the PC or it is done wirelessly (tablet/phone)?

I am perfectly fine with the indexing done by the Bluesound and I would not pay the price of Roon to improve that area only. However, two weeks ago a local audio store had a demonstration of their new offerings. I listened to the exact same song in the exact same system (Money for Nothing) played from Heos and a lap top running the Roon. I could not believe my old ears how much better the Roon was. It was so much smoother and the timing was so much better. If I could add the room correction function to my system I would take it into the consideration no matter the cost.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts