Streaming Upgrade

calpark46

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
For the past three years my system has comprised a Naim Unitilite & Kef LS50s and it still gives me a lot of pleasure. I have become a streaming convert and almost all of my listening is streamed flac files from my NAS. Last Christmas I added a Rega RP6 turntable for the occasional nostalgic foray into the vinyl world. Although generally happy, this magazine isn't called WHAT hIFi for nothing and, with retirement looming I may have the opportunity to treat myself to a final major upgrade. I am minded to keep the LS50s as I believe they are capable of being even better with improved amplification. I see my options as follows (I live in Northern Ireland so limited brand access): 1. A move up the Naim ladder to a Superuniti or streamer/amplifier combo, eg ND5XS/Nait XS. I wouldn't consider a Uniti given that the CD player on the Lite is rarely used. 2. Linn Majik DSM (I'm waiting for your encouragement CnoEvil!!) 3. Arcam CDS27 and A39. Although the Arcam and the LS50s have good synergy, would this be much of an upgrade over the Unitilite and I'm concerned that the streamer experience would not be as polished as the Naims or the Linn. 4. A Rega solution of Saturn r and Elicit r, using a Sonos Connect into the DAC in the Saturn. I'm a bit reticent about paying £1,600 for the Saturn when I would rarely use the CD transport and wonder if the Rega DAC r would suffice. I will of course be demoing before making any decisions but would be grateful for any feedback on the usability of the Rega option compared to the convenience of the Naim and Linn streamers, whether the Arcam and Rega options are comparable SQ wise with the Naims and the Linn, and any other useful tips. Many thanks.

I think the superuniti would be the obvious upgrade path in your case.then if you feel you need to take it up another level after that then Naim has power amps aplenty to add to there streamers.But the superuniti is based around the amplification of the supernait,which is an exceptional amp.

rainsoothe

I heard the Arcam CDS27 with Arcam A19 and A38, and it was good, but it will pale in comparison to a Naim ND5XS or Nac - N172 xs or Superuniti. Heard great things about the Linn stuff, so that's worth seious consideration.

Imo, with your budget, you have a lot of good options, but an important part of the streaming experience is the system's robustness. Afaik, the Arcam app is not that great, so imo stick with Naim or Linn. For Naim you should audition the SU, ND5 xs + Nait XS2 or Nac-N 172 XS + Nap155XS, or even Nap200.

But do try to audition, your ears are the only reviewer that matters.

calpark46

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for your replies. Your thoughts are similar to mine, although all will become clear when I audition and if I don't see a significant improvement from the Unitilite I'll hold off until I do. Mark - an upgrade within Naim will certainly be on the radar, although further moves up that very expensive ladder would probably leave me penniless and in the divorce courts! Rainsoothe - you confirmed my thoughts on the Arcam having heard it very briefly in less than ideal surroundings hooked up to Q Acoustics floorstanders. It was very pleasant but all very polite and retained not an improvement on what I have. I could see me looking for more drive and excitement in the sound. I know the logical choice is Naim or Linn, but would love to hear of any experiences of streaming through Rega as outlined in my original post.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If you're looking for my encouragement...you've got it....and as you also probably know, I also live in NI.

Give Michael at Lyric a ring and get him to organise a demo of all those brands. Set aside a few hours, grab a coffee and a bun from the Yellow Door (next door) and enjoy the experience.

The Majik DSM sounds great with the LS50s (both of which he should have). I also rate the A39, which I prefer over the Rega Elicit and even the Sneaky DS/ DSM are also worth considering.

Personally, I wouldn't go the Rega route for the source, as IMO, it's more convoluted and doesn't sound as well.

Naim is certainly an option, but to my ears, Linn is more natural and refined....but that will be for you to decide in the demo.

I'm familiar with the products, as well as the dealers here, so if I can do anything further to help, just shout.

calpark46

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
Cno An excellent response as always. I'm familiar with both Michael at Lyric and the Yellow Door coffee shop, having bought most of my gear there and will set up an appointment. In my heart I know that any upgrade will probably come down to a Naim vs Linn audition and I'm not hung up on the sound of one brand over the other. I even have a feeling that the more controlled sound of the Linn may suit my room better than the more exuberant sound of the Naims, but we'll see. My post was prompted principally by a desire to cover all options such as the highly regarded Rega cd/dac/amp combo (or Arcam) and I fully take on board your comment on the superior convenience and usability of the Naim/Linn streamers. My query may also have been due to a bit of cabin fever after over 24 hours of continuous rain!! Many thanks for your comments and for your offer of further help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts