Roksan Kandy LIII and ProAc Response D15

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I would appreciate very much if anyone could provide me some insight about the problem I’m facing. Recently I’ve upgraded my system. Below are the details:

Pre Upgrade:

Mission 773e floorstanders
Marantz PM7000 integrated amplifier
Marantz CD6000 OSE CD player
Van den Hul CS-122 Hybrid speaker cables
Van den Hul D-102 Hybrid interconnects

Post Upgrade:

ProAc Response D15 floorstanders
Roksan Kandy LIII integrated amplifier
Marantz CD6000 OSE CD player
Van den Hul CS-122 Hybrid speaker cables
Van den Hul D-102 Hybrid interconnects

After the upgrade, I noticed the sound quality improved quite a lot, especially the imaging, depth and the vocal reproduction is more realistic. However the sound somehow lacks of drive and power. I find that I need to turn the volume dial to past 11 or maybe 12 (depending on the recordings) to get the loudness that is right. Somehow I feel my old Marantz has more power and drive compared to the Roksan although the latter is rated at 120 Watts. I’m quite baffled here. Is my upgrade a bad choice of mismatch? What should I do next? I really like the sound of the ProAc Response D15? Should I change the amplifier? Any recommendations?

Thanks a lot in anticipation for replies.

Wing Keat

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
You'll find your 773's are easier to drive than the D15's. Better speakers like the D15's need more power and more current to get them going. You'd have found the same thing if you'd have used the PM7000 with the D15's.

If you're reaching the 12 o'clock position then you will need a more powerful amplifier. Amplifiers with a normal volume control will be reaching their maximum around the 12 position. It's not that you have a mismatch regading specs, it's just that you want more power than the Roksan can give you.

SteveR750

FrankHarveyHiFi:
You'll find your 773's are easier to drive than the D15's. Better speakers like the D15's need more power and more current to get them going. You'd have found the same thing if you'd have used the PM7000 with the D15's.

If you're reaching the 12 o'clock position then you will need a more powerful amplifier. Amplifiers with a normal volume control will be reaching their maximum around the 12 position. It's not that you have a mismatch regading specs, it's just that you want more power than the Roksan can give you.

Dave, the K2 doesnt have a "linear" volume control. At 12 o clock mine is at moderate living room levels. I've got to 2am to get to close to a studio level. By 2:20 am its getting close to Cardiff International Arena.....

A

Anonymous

Thanks Dave and Steve!

I think both of you are right. After talking with another owner of Roksan Kandy LIII, he said that better amplifier like Roksan uses low gain, that is why you need to turn the volume knob way more than some Japanese amplifiers. The main difference is Roksan won't exhibit distortion at 12 or 1 o'clock position but my Marantz will. But then again, probably I need a more powerful amplifier because it's just unsatisfying to listen to some fast music and I feel the sound lacks of drive and attack.

Dave,

How's K2 compared to LIII? Did you happen to have a chance to compare the both amplifiers? I'm thinking of upgrading to Kandy K2 or Caspian M-Series Integrated or I could probably be able to stretch my budget a bit more to get the Krell S-300i which the latter will definitely give me the ample power that I need. But I haven't auditioned any of them yet. So I would like to hear from any readers out there who has something to say.

Cheers,

Wing Keat

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
I've auditioned the K2 and LIII at home. The K2 is a much better machine and extremely sophisticated.

If there's one amplifier at the price point that will resolve the minutest details and bring balance, then that's the K2. But it will not sound as dynamic as its power rating might suggest, and it has nothing to do with the volume knob. It just uses the reserve power in a very different way.

Krell would be a horrible match for the Proac's. Think YBA or Primare.

TRENDING THREADS