• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Rogers LS4a/2 + Musical Fidelity A1. ¿It´s a good option?

goodman

Feb 17, 2015
I have a old amplifier Musical Fidelity A1 and I would wish to connect a pair bookshelfs Rogers LS4a/2.

Are those speakers a good company for the A1?.

The speaker cables are Van den Hul CS-122 Hybrid and a Marantz CD6002 player.

Al ears

goodman said:
I have a old amplifier Musical Fidelity A1 and I would wish to connect a pair bookshelfs Rogers LS4a/2.

Are those speakers a good company for the A1?.

The speaker cables are Van den Hul CS-122 Hybrid and a Marantz CD6002 player.
There's no reason to believe that they wouldn't be. They are efficient and can be driven by an amplifier with as little as 15 wpc.

In fact, I would say they w would be very good company for this amp, suitably placed.

P.S.: I used to own the amp but never heard it with these speakers. If you get them please let us know your thoughs on these vintage classics.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
I used to have an A1 many years ago. It's sweet, warm sound is what got me interested in Valves and for that I will remain eternally grateful.

I'm sure your pairing will sound great.

Enjoy!

goodman

Feb 17, 2015
I think that the A1 is a good amplifier but with the time (the A1 is 20 years old) I´ve noticed a change in their sound and has lost the sweetness and now the amplifier sounds too bright...for this reason I wish to change the speakers and perhaps I can to solve the problem with the Rogers...

goodman

Feb 17, 2015
Or perhaps it´s better to change the speaker cable.

I use now the Van den Hul CS-122 hybrid but I would wish to put the Audioquest X2.

This cable can to help to remove the too much bright in the high frecuencies of my equipment?.

K

keeper of the quays

Are you sure its the amp? What's your source? I have some musical fidelity stuff and one amp I have is same age as yours...b1..i couldn't afford a1...big meaty sound..you still using those b&w speakers? Metal dome tweeter? I had similar speakers with my b1..think it was a popular pairing...now I look back? They weren't the best..turn up volume and they fell to pieces..

goodman

Feb 17, 2015
The source is a Marantz CD6002 player.

Perhaps is better the Audiolab 8200 CD and I need to change the Marantz for a better sound?.

AnMa

Mar 11, 2011
If the amp is 20 years old or thereabout it can be that your amp needs servicing, wasn't the A1 famous for getting really hot, hot enough to bake some eggs? *wink* Running hot has its tolls

You're talking the original A1, right? Because if I remember well MF came up with a newer version 7-8 years ago.

goodman

Feb 17, 2015
Yes, I have the original device that was launched in the mid-80s.

But I like their sound, specially with Jazz music.

Now I managed to improve the sound changing the cables (the interconect and also the speaker cable).

I have the Kimber Timbre (interconnect) and the Supra Ply 3.4 (speaker cable) and I can notice that the sound is not as bright as before and is more natural. ¡¡I like!!.

I would wish to try other speaker cable and I thought in the following: Nordost 2 Flat speaker cable.

Maybe can to fit well with the Musical Fidelity A1 and to produce a more warm sound...

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS