Roksan Kandy K2 not impresive... Onkyo TX-8050 as an alternative ?

DJ-pressure

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi everybody,
I hope you will be able to give me your opinion if you're reading this topic.
I hope to see here RS and MP + others with relative experience.

I'm not sure is it just me, but having chance to drive my Tannoys with Roksan Kandy K2 I wasn't impressed at all. (had to return K2 due to uneven volume on both chanells)

Is that just because there wasn't good synergy between the speakers and amp? Or it's just me.

I'm looking for a warm, detailed sound, with clear mids and sweet crisp end + good lows.
My first idea was to get a NAD C356bee - but the look is really bad and outdated.

DJ-pressure

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
After reading throu all the posts on Onkyo TX-8050 started by Record Spot and acompanied by MathewPiano , I thought the Onkyo may be good for me.

But I would like to use your experience and listen (read) to your opinions. ( RS nad MP should hopefuly visit this topic as well)

Thinking about Onkyo I thought about Marantz M-CR603 and Combination of Denon (PMA710ae + DNP-720 AE + DCD 710ae- maybe ?which could be held for about £550).

Or I should maybe just look for a second hand integrated- if it will be much different-better to above alternatives?

A

Anonymous

Don't rule out the NAD due to its looks... It's a great amp and one I nearly bought but decided to give my Arcam one more lease of life!

The Roksan is a good amp but I've always found it a little bright.

The Marantz Melody Media is good but your speakers deserve better

Personally I'd look for a decent 2nd hand Arcam Diva A85 or possibly an FMJ A32 and use the Denon streamer. A NAD C352 could be an amp to consider as well but personally either of the arcams would work better I think.

DJ-pressure

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Nad_Fanatic for your recomendations, I will have a look at some A85.

But in the meantime don't you think A85 might be a little bright with my setup as well?

BTW, good to know I'm not the only one to find Kandy K2 bright.

I really don't want to have a bright sound . As i said I would like a nice, detailed and warm sound.

This leds me to the conclusion that NAD would be the choice - but is there anything else WARM sounding ??? and better looking?

Have anybody had any experience with these Tannoys?If so what amp was paired with them?

DJ-pressure said:
Hi everybody, I hope you will be able to give me your opinion if you're reading this topic. I hope to see here RS and MP + others with relative experience. I'm not sure is it just me, but having chance to drive my Tannoys with Roksan Kandy K2 I wasn't impressed at all. (had to return K2 due to uneven volume on both chanells) Is that just because there wasn't good synergy between the speakers and amp? Or it's just me. I'm looking for a warm, detailed sound, with clear mids and sweet crisp end + good lows. My first idea was to get a NAD C356bee - but the look is really bad and outdated.

What is it about the Kandy you don't like? please don't say due to uneven volume (whatever that means). Was the Kandy faulty?

If you're looking for a warm presentation then Kandy, Nad and Arcam fall pretty much into that category.

The Onkyo has had some enthusiastic owners. Sure, can't argue, it's a very good product for the money. But if your asking whether a all-in-one is better than a dedicated integrated amp of the Kandy quality, I'd bet my boots it isn't.

What is your ultimate goal? do you prefer separates? or all-in-ones?

DJ-pressure

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
DJ-pressure said:
Hi everybody, I hope you will be able to give me your opinion if you're reading this topic. I hope to see here RS and MP + others with relative experience. I'm not sure is it just me, but having chance to drive my Tannoys with Roksan Kandy K2 I wasn't impressed at all. (had to return K2 due to uneven volume on both chanells) Is that just because there wasn't good synergy between the speakers and amp? Or it's just me. I'm looking for a warm, detailed sound, with clear mids and sweet crisp end + good lows. My first idea was to get a NAD C356bee - but the look is really bad and outdated.

What is it about the Kandy you don't like? please don't say due to uneven volume (whatever that means). Was the Kandy faulty?

If you're looking for a warm presentation then Kandy, Nad and Arcam fall pretty much into that category.

The Onkyo has had some enthusiastic owners. Sure, can't argue, it's a very good product for the money. But if your asking whether a all-in-one is better than a dedicated integrated amp of the Kandy quality, I'd bet my boots it isn't.

What is your ultimate goal? do you prefer separates? or all-in-ones?

Well, the Kandy was slightly faulty: at the low low volumes music was played only throu the left speaker.But apart from that I think everythink was fine.

What I didn't like about Kandy was a fact that It didn't sounded warm. There was a detail and clarity. But it just didn't sound right for the money!

I don't mind about separates or all in one, the ultimate goal is a soud. But if I can have all in one that will be very very close to separate I think it's undersandable I would choose all in one.

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I owned a K2 for a few years and it certainly didn't sound bright to me, I would be surprised if the onkyo was better, but hey you never know.

DJ-pressure

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
There seem to be not many people with Tannoy speakers...

Are the other brand speakers better ? easier to pair with amps?

Maybe my speakers are just not the right for me (for the sound I want) ?

Maybe insted of looking for the right amp, I should sell the tannoys and look for Speakers and Amp with synergy. It might be easier to achieve...

T

the record spot

I have to say the Onkyo works incredibly well with the Tannoys I use. Very focused and tight delivery. The amp drives them well and I'd imagine you wouldn't have an issue with driving the DC6T.

I'd run a demo with the Onkyo beside the K2 and see what you think - personally, I think it's a fine amp. Yes, the naysayers are out there: "it couldn't possibly be better than..." and the like. Make your own mind up. Have a listen and decide. Plus the additional functionality it offers leaves most integrateds standing. IMO of course, but it depends what you need or want from your stereo.

small-logo.png

DJ-pressure

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
the record spot said:
I have to say the Onkyo works incredibly well with the Tannoys I use. Very focused and tight delivery. The amp drives them well and I'd imagine you wouldn't have an issue with driving the DC6T.

I'd run a demo with the Onkyo beside the K2 and see what you think - personally, I think it's a fine amp. Yes, the naysayers are out there: "it couldn't possibly be better than..." and the like. Make your own mind up. Have a listen and decide. Plus the additional functionality it offers leaves most integrateds standing. IMO of course, but it depends what you need or want from your stereo.

small-logo.png

I was waiting for your reply RS.

Could you possibly describe the sound of Onkyo as warm?

I recall your post to answer about which one of 2 is better Onkyo or Denon PMA710AE/DNP-720AE... You said they're the same level. Is that's right? Have you demoed them?

T

the record spot

I think you might have me mistaken for someone else re: the Denon amps, which I've never heard. I do have the Denon DVD3930 which has further improved the sound from my system.

I wouldn't describe the Onkyo as warm sounding. Neutral yes. There's a good bass, not overpowering and the midrange and treble comes through nicely. Well partnered it's all the amp you'll need IMO. I think Onkyo spotted a gap in the two channel market with this one and it punches comfortably above the money you'd pay for it.
small-logo.png

DJ-pressure

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I think I will give it a go...

If worst come to worst I can always auction it.

I was just wondering If Denon combo may give a same or very similar efect - or maybe better :? ...

T

the record spot

Try them, give them a go. Nothing to lose and you can put your mind at rest. No harm trying a few to see which one floats your boat.
small-logo.png

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
DJ-pressure said:
I think I will give it a go...

If worst come to worst I can always auction it.

I was just wondering If Denon combo may give a same or very similar efect - or maybe better :? ...

I have the Signature version of the DC6T but I guess the sound signature is same. I am currently driving it with a Classe CAP-2100 which is definetly in a different league. The Classe is a very transparent amp and so the final sound signature will be a mixture of the source and the speakers.

Having lived with DC6T, I would say they are brilliant Value for Money in all areas except that there is a little brightness. This is perfectly normal given today's hifi standards. IMO, Most amps as well as speakers are between neutrual to detailed presentation as seems to be liked by people alot.

Having said that, there are some people, me & perhaps you, who like the warmer presentation as it is easier on the ears though it may / may not sacrifice the details. There are not many amps out there who have such a warm signature. Onkyo is at best neutral but definetly not bright.

I would be looking at Marantz PM KI Pearl Lite as well as Denon PMA 1510AE to match these speakers. Denon is an unwanted child in Stereo amps section, for a reason not known to me. I used to own a PMA 500AE long long time ago and I loved the sound. I auditioned a Denon PMA 2010AE with Denon streamer (the speakers were from ELAC) and the sound was positively warm to me.

Please don't be concerned about the recommendations or lack of them about Denon and give it a shot.

matthewpiano

The Onkyo is a great piece of kit - good enough that I got quite carried away by it when I got it. Sound quality is excellent, particularly if clarity, detail and a sense of cohesion are important to you. I wouldn't describe it as warm and if it lacks slightly in one aspect this is it, but careful partnering can resolve the issue.

I doubt it would show the K2 a clean pair of heels though. The K2 is a very capable amp and given that I have found going back to NAD has been an improvement for me, I would be very surprised if you found the 8050 better than the Roksan.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
I tried the Onkyo with MA RS6 & it struggled to control the bass. I wouldn't be surprised if you found the same with the similarly sized Tannoys. I also found it less detailed than a Rotel RA-1062 & Leema Pulse III but theat may be more to your taste.

I'd urge a demo before buying unless you're happy to take the hit on buying & re-selling.

SteveR750

I certainly didnt find the K2 bright, it was smoother and warmer than both the Naim Nait 5i and the Cyrus 6 and 8 xpd. I didn't find the Onkyo to be close to any of them either in 2 channel stereo, and good though it is, I would still have bought a NAD C372 over it too.

Sounds to me like the K2 was faulty (pr something was in your system) so perhaps not a realistic assessment

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I am skocked too !

ROKSAN is a great amp worm , detailed , bass is deep and treble is well balanced .

Before buying the roksan I treied the NAD 375BEE one of the best amp of NAD and it was very disapointing :

too much bass , no deatils and sound stage is very poor .

Andrej_1

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I would agree with RS and MP mostly. My Tannoys Eyris 3 are driven by Onkyo and I'm pretty happy with combination.

Onkyo is not warm, but Tannoys are (my opinion) so they kind of compensate and make good synergy. You should demo them with some other amps anyway.

Also, what kind of music do you prefer (probably missed this)? If my combo has a drawback, it is a hard rock. Most other music (acoustic, jazz, classic, classic rock) is just great. That is with my ears - but you should try it with yours.

A

Anonymous

I had the same problem, albeit with different kit, sounds too bright and too clinical.

I've found a solution that suits me, the Creek 5350, might well be worth a listen.

What also made a huge difference was adding a PS audio DAC between my digital source ( squeezebox ) and the amp.

Botth Creek and PS Audio tailor their products to the 'warm' side of tonal reproduction.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts