Amplifier needed (Arcam FMJ A19, Roksan Kandy K2...)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
You're right again. Life taught me that the best gear for me is the one I like and I can afford. And as my carpenter told me once (responding to some complaints of mine): Never seek for perfection...

Which brings me back to my questions. I understood that A19 lacks treble and bass controls. Has anyone felt the need for those?

P.S. I've just read the A19 whathifi review in which it is best paired with my long awaited 8200CD

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Tzutzu said:
You're right again. Life taught me that the best gear for me is the one I like and I can afford. And as my carpenter told me once (responding to some complaints of mine): Never seek for perfection...

Which brings me back to my questions. I understood that A19 lacks treble and bass controls. Has anyone felt the need for those?

P.S. I've just read the A19 whathifi review in which it is best paired with my long awaited 8200CD

It really depends on your taste, reviews are just a rough guide. I have heard the A19 and I would say its refined but maybe a bit lacking guts, so maybe better for classical than rock. I would def. try the Marantz Pearl Lite and Creek A50, pity WHF did not inc. them in their group test.

The Mad One

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Sorry i have to disagree with BigH that the arcam A19 is only suitable for classical, FWIW i think the arcam sounds amazing with any type of music it can give many amps costing twice the price a run for its money.

It also gels extremely well with the KEF LS50 Speakers and my guess is it will suit any r series kef speakers.

if you can give it a listen as well as the Roksan and the Creek Amps

Good Luck with your mission

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I would try each and everyone of them. But unfortunately the closest hifi shop is at 300 km away. I even forget about the distance and go there but my job wouldn't let me.

The Pearl Lite - I've decided to change the brand (nothing to complain about though, just so). As for the Creek, what I've read till now it is not so convincing.

What about Roksan? Do you have any experience with it?.

The Mad One

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I did listen to the roksan B4 deciding on the the Arcam, the roksan is a very fine Amp and go's extremely loud.

but for me i prefer the arcam for refinement and the vast sounstage it throws at you and can go loud as well.

regards

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Have you read the reviews on the Creek website?

As far as I know Creek have had a long and good rep. Arcam had a good rep years ago for amps like the Alpha 9 but not so much lately. To be honest I don't think there is much between both seem to be fine British man. with well made products, certainly my Arcam has lasted 20 years without any problem.

It really depends what sort of sound you are after. I hope to hear the Creek on Saturday.

markiedee

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
The arcam definately has guts i can't believe how powerful it is for 50 watts, the soundstage it projects out is big and wide and envelopes me in sound. On volume level 33 is sufficient for me but on volume level 40 is enough without the need to go any higher.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Here is an extract from the Hi-Fi News group test "The most musically enjoyable and the least coloured sounding of the group, the Creek gave unalloyed pleasure. It’s similar to the Arcam in the wonderfully engaging way it performs, yet has an altogether cleaner and more insightful nature.

For example, ‘Morning Child’ sounded magnificent, the amp showing its taut, tuneful bass, glassclear midband and sweet, spacious

treble to best effect. Powerful and detailed, this amp nevertheless really impressed in the way it strung all the strands of the

mix together in so natural a way. Vocal phrasing was on another level to all others in the group, and the percussive piano shone through the

busy mix like no rivals here."

As I say it depends what sort of sound you want.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The Mad One said:
Sorry i have to disagree with BigH that the arcam A19 is only suitable for classical, FWIW i think the arcam sounds amazing with any type of music it can give many amps costing twice the price a run for its money. It also gels extremely well with the KEF LS50 Speakers and my guess is it will suit any r series kef speakers. if you can give it a listen as well as the Roksan and the Creek Amps Good Luck with your mission

Actually I did not say that, I said maybe better for classical than rock, thats the impression from my demo.

Also from WHF review "The overall presentation feels a bit too sedate, and there’s a sense of wanting to urge the Arcam on just a bit more to a more exciting and involving performance."

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Well, good morning

Sorry for living the discussion so abruptly yesterday evening. But just as I mentioned my job and it stroke me with some serious things that had to be done. Now everything is nice and quiet so I managed to read the previous posts.

@The Mad One and markidee: So I wanted to ask The Mad One and markiedee if they at any time felt the need for treble and bass controls on this amp :quest:

Thought about speakers. I would suggest going with a compact floorstander. The reason is if you're putting bookshelf speakers on dedicated stands, they'll take up as much room as a floorstander. The only concern about floorstanders, if the room is very small, they may be a little overwhelming in the bass. But with smallish to medium size rooms I'd look at floorstanders. They look nicer than having a small speaker stuck to a drainpipe. That is only my personal view.

markiedee

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
Tzutzu said:
Well, good morning

Sorry for living the discussion so abruptly yesterday evening. But just as I mentioned my job and it stroke me with some serious things that had to be done. Now everything is nice and quiet so I managed to read the previous posts.

@The Mad One and markidee: So I wanted to ask The Mad One and markiedee if they at any time felt the need for treble and bass controls on this amp :quest:

I don't feel like i need treble or bass controls to as everything sounds right to me, i can't really speak for anyone else. It would really be good if you could get a demo to see for yourself but i have no complaints in that regard. Bass is punchy midrange and treble nice and crisp and is a really enjoyable and non fatiging sound.

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
@PP What do you have in mind? Deep in my soul, without having any significant experience, I thought about floorstanders. Sometimes, bigger is better. Although R300 look so good...

@markiedee That's very good to know. Again, I count on your personal experience, a demo being out of the question in the near future.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
tone controls - some people like the flexibility of tone controls - i have found a slight degadation in sound quality when you use them so (inmho) don't use them. Others may think different!

tonky

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Tzutzu said:
@PP What do you have in mind? Deep in my soul, without having any significant experience, I thought about floorstanders. Sometimes, bigger is better. Although R300 look so good...

Neat Motive 2, Kef IQ50 and my favourites Totem Arros. These should work beautifully with Arcam, Roksan and Creek

Ok, but are they hard to find or is it my fault? I wouldn't go second-hand.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
tonky said:
tone controls - some people like the flexibility of tone controls - i have found a slight degadation in sound quality when you use them so (inmho) don't use them. Others may think different!

tonky

+1 on that. I tried using them on my Rotel RA-01 to tame a little brightness but noticed the sound was not quite as clear as with tone defeat. I now have a Roksan Kandy K2 that has no tone or balance controls and my hifi has never sounded better. Good equipment that's well matched shouldn't need them.

The Arcam A19 looks a good bet as long as partnering equipment isn't too laid back.

Tzutzu said:
plastic penguin said:
Tzutzu said:

Neat Motive 2, Kef IQ50 and my favourites Totem Arros. These should work beautifully with Arcam, Roksan and Creek

Ok, but are they hard to find or is it my fault? I wouldn't go second-hand.

Depends where you live. The Totems can be tricky to track down, but well worth the effort IMHO.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
danrv said:
tonky said:

tonky

+1 on that. I tried using them on my Rotel RA-01 to tame a little brightness but noticed the sound was not quite as clear as with tone defeat. I now have a Roksan Kandy K2 that has no tone or balance controls and my hifi has never sounded better. Good equipment that's well matched shouldn't need them.

The Arcam A19 looks a good bet as long as partnering equipment isn't too laid back.

Yes WHF review does touch on partnering equipment needs careful matching, they seem to think the Kef LS50s were a good match but I found the LS50s were not very good at low volumes.

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Hello danrv

Thank you for being here. It would be very interesting to know if you had any experience with your amp and Audiolab's 8200CD. In case you didn't read the whole story, I have to choose from this range of amps in which I included FMJ A19, Kandy K2 and Evo50. Till now, Arcam is a bit in the lead. I would like to know your opinion.

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
@BigH You're right. I prefer low to moderate volumes, so the speakers should comply with that. As PP said, a pair of compact floorstanders may be a better choice.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Tzutzu said:
@BigH You're right. I prefer low to moderate volumes, so the speakers should comply with that. As PP said, a pair of compact floorstanders may be a better choice.

Yes FS maybe better as generally more sensitive but I think they do need some space, ideally about 3 feet away from walls and corners otherwise they can be boomy. I prefer standmounts.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts