Roksan Attessa amplifier

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I had a first look (but not listen, this will be next) at Roksan's new entry level amplifier.

It looks better in hand than on pictures. I like the centralised volume/function control and inset ventilation grilles. The control knob has a nice, firm resistance and the haptic feedback is both unusual and nice though most will, I assume, rarely use this and rely instead on the remote. Still, good to know Roksan obviously spent some thought (and expense) on this part of the amplifier. It feels reasonably heavy for the price (£1000 for the non-streaming version) partly due to the approx 400VA transformer inside, again, a decent rating for an amplifier around this price. This together with 4x6800uf of supply capacitance and I believe 4 output devices/channel should make for an engine enough for most speakers and loud volume. 80 watts (8ohm) at Roksans usually conservative rating will likely not feel wanting.

I like low profile hifi and this is no exception. Whilst the 'cut-off' corner design may be devisive, it certainly gives an unusual look and somewhat stays true to Roksan's often slightly unusual design choices. I would have preferred a large OLED display as on my Hegel, giving a more accurate volume readout and improved visibility of source selection and other parameters but the amber/red volume bars do the job and are easy on the eye.

So, next is a quick in store listen likely followed by a home trial. Will this (non-streaming Attessa) replace my Audiolab 6000A or Arcam SA20?

It'll be interesting.

View: https://youtu.be/Dsfc0fkN2ig

Then there's Marantz's forthcoming Model40 ...

Last edited:
Reactions: MUSICRAFT
There’s a proper review with measurements in the current March 2022 edition of Hifi News. I hadn’t realised it was a class AB design, especially as Roksan previously tried class D in the Oxygene.

The reviewer didn’t seem too keen on the central control knob, but otherwise it was a pretty positive review.

Last edited:

matthewpianist

This looks like an interesting product, particularly in the streaming guise. It competes directly with the new Audiolab Omnia but I'd lean towards the Roksan because of the use of BluOS rather than the unbelievably awful DTS Play-Fi. Based on my experience with a Roksan K3 amp it should sound good too, though it would have to go some to dislodge my Naim/Node 2i combination.

robdmarsh

On the hard shoulder: Inspire Thorens TD160; Denon DNP800NE; Denon DCD1600NE; Denon PMA1600NE; Rega Brio-R; Focal Chora 806; Dynaudio DM2/6; Mission LX3 Mk2; Triangle Borea BR02

Er... what does this "on the hard shoulder" mean?

matthewpianist

On the hard shoulder: Inspire Thorens TD160; Denon DNP800NE; Denon DCD1600NE; Denon PMA1600NE; Rega Brio-R; Focal Chora 806; Dynaudio DM2/6; Mission LX3 Mk2; Triangle Borea BR02

Er... what does this "on the hard shoulder" mean?

It's the kit I'm not currently using but which I have and could be swapped in and out as my mood takes me. At present I'm finding the system I'm using is the most satisfying, which may well lead to a thinning out for space and finances.

matthewpianist

Looks like some of your kit on the hard shoulder deserves a drive down the main highway, imo! Namely, Denon pma 1600ne a superb amp, or are you looking to sell it?

It is an excellent amp and it's hard to choose between that and the Naim. The latter has a bit more punch, but the Denon is more refined and is more practical also. One or the other has to go at some point, it's just a matter of which.

I had a first look (but not listen, this will be next) at Roksan's new entry level amplifier.

So, next is a quick in store listen likely followed by a home trial.

Out of interest a few weeks ago we used the Attessa integrated amplifier with components costing many times more and the Attessa integrated amplifier showed it's composure with Monitor Audio's 5G Gold 300's and a JL Audio's Fathom f212 v2 subwoofer. The Attessa integrated amplifier has a fluid, full bodied and yet punchy and powerful presentation :)

Reactions: RoA
Out of interest a few weeks ago we used the Attessa integrated amplifier with components costing many times more and the Attessa integrated amplifier showed it's composure with Monitor Audio's 5G Gold 300's and a JL Audio's Fathom f212 v2 subwoofer. The Attessa integrated amplifier has a fluid, full bodied and yet punchy and powerful presentation :)
Will you stop trying to sell your £8 grand subwoofers with comments like this.
Totally wrong. A simple statement like 'a subwoofer ' would suffice.....

Will you stop trying to sell your £8 grand subwoofers with comments like this.
Totally wrong. A simple statement like 'a subwoofer ' would suffice.....

Al, firstly I am not trying to sell an £8k subwoofer.

Secondly it was only days ago when you were rubbishing, ridiculing and wrongly making statements about a £1 interconnect that I recommended.

I'll respectfully suggest that you should fully understand the context of what has been said.

Al, firstly I am not trying to sell an £8k subwoofer.

Secondly it was only days ago when you were rubbishing, ridiculing and wrongly making statements about a £1 interconnect that I recommended.

I'll respectfully suggest that you should fully understand the context of what has been said.
Oh, I do believe me
And that £1 interconnect is the type given away free with my Sony TV and yes I have used one when I was a poor student and it was cr#p and I don't think I wasthe only one rubbishing that interconnect.
If you cannot handle criticism about your claims it is perhaps best not to post on an open forum.
Regards your subwoofer perhaps you could explain why you needed to name it in your recent post when this thread concerns an amplifier?
Totally unnecessary unless you are promoting the brand which is not allowed here.
Perhaps sticking to answering the OPs question might halt any interjections by moderators

Last edited:
Oh, I do believe me
And that £1 interconnect is the type given away free with my Sony TV and yes I have used one when I was a poor student and it was cr#p and I don't think I head the only one rubbishing that interconnect.
If you cannot handle criticism about your claims it is perhaps best not to post on an open forum.
Regards your subwoofer perhaps you could explain why you needed to name it in your recent post when this thread concerns an amplifier?
Totally unnecessary unless you are promoting the brand which is not allowed here.
Perhaps sticking to answering the OPs question might halt any interjections by moderators

I disagree.

If you’re referring to me not being able to handle criticism regarding the recent matter about cables then unfortunately I wasn’t able to respond to you because by the time I got back to the topic the thread was locked. Btw, FYI this sounds like the pot calling the kettle black.

Anyway it beggars belief as it how you feel that you are a neutral and are able to use your position and make a judgement in a fair and proper manner when you clearly get youreslf involved matters.

Bottom line is I feel you are and have been misusing your position and one that is borderline bullying. Therefore I wish to take this matter further. Please ask another moderator to PM details of the person/s that I can make a complaint about you and discuss your conduct with accordingly.

Gray

Design wise it looks great imo, very modern and minimalist, much better looking than Audiolab's effort (6000a), which looks clinical (funny that, cos that's how it sounds to these ears!)
Funny, I took an instant dislike to the Audiolab when I first saw it - but I've got more used to its look....doubt I could get used to this thing, but it's not about looks is it?

Dom

The Attessa is probably a smooth sounding amp like the Caspian. They have incorporated the DAC into the amp so I doubt it's as good. Costing half as much. I think it looks stylish.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts