Amplifier needed (Arcam FMJ A19, Roksan Kandy K2...)

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I'm in the middle of an upgrade. Just sold my CD5004 and waiting for my new Audiolab 8200CD. Next moves would be changing amplifier and speakers.This turn is amplifier's. The speakers are to follow.

Now, I've read a lot of reviews. From all the choices, two seem to be favourites: Arcam FMJ A19 and Roksan Kandy K2. From your opinions and discussions I hope I 'll be able to draw a conclusion. Don't bother with rooms, types of music, cables and other (I'm sure, important) variables. I'm looking for an amplifier to match my CDP and I trust your ears (I don't have a place where to listen to hifi). I'm open to other choices as long as they stay under 1000 Euro.

I thank you, guys, and promise to keep you informed.

Right... it'll boil down to two main things: First, what sort of overall sound are you looking for? Warm, smooth, neutral or bright? What are your room acoustics like? is it a reflective room: hard and/or suspended floors, with little soft furnishings and without curtains? Or do you have carpets, sofas, wooden bookcase?

Second, have you speakers in mind? if so, which ones?

unfortunately, to obtain the ideal set-up isn't an exact science, so you'll need to balance out all those options, along with your own personal taste.

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Right... it'll boil down to two main things: First, what sort of overall sound are you looking for? Warm, smooth, neutral or bright? What are your room acoustics like? is it a reflective room: hard and/or suspended floors, with little soft furnishings and without curtains? Or do you have carpets, sofas, wooden bookcase?

Second, have you speakers in mind? if so, which ones?

unfortunately, to obtain the ideal set-up isn't an exact science, so you'll need to balance out all those options, along with your own personal taste.

I thank you for your prompt answer. I know your posts and I've learned a lot from them.

I agree it is not an exact science. I agree personal preferences and environmental characteristics matters a lot. That's why I'm asking your ears (and experience) and not your brain: which of those (or others) would you choose for 8200CD?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

PP asked some questions that are crucial for success ie.

- Describe in detail what sound you like.....are you in the neutral, forward and slightly analytical camp, or the smooth but detailed one. Do you like a more refined sound or a bolder more dramatic one?

- What speakers do you have, as synergy with the amp is important?

- What music do you listen to?

- Room size and how it's decorated?

Sorry for the repetition, but buying blind is very risky.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I would try the Creek A50 also, in another hifi group test inc. the Arcam A19 it was the group winner, similar to Arcam but has more guts, you can see the review on the Creek website, costs about the same.

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
@BigH: Creek A50 is a very interesting choice. Thank you very much.

Another friend of mine suggested Naim Nait. Any experience with it?

Once again, I'm looking for the "wow" factor in connection with what will be my new 8200CD (can't wait!).

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
That's a tough question because normally one matches amp and speakers, and as mentioned earlier, what we can suggest will depend on the sound you are looking for (warm, laid back, detailed, slam, open, spacious, etc.). If you know what kind of sound you like then people can make suggestion to accentuate or tame certain aspects of that CD players sound.

Without know much I'd say get the Arcam A19 and some Kef R300 speakers to go with it.

Wow factor doesn't really help, because what wows one person might bother another, and things that are immediately impressive can sometimes be grating to listen to for long periods.

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
ID. said:
That's a tough question because normally one matches amp and speakers, and as mentioned earlier, what we can suggest will depend on the sound you are looking for (warm, laid back, detailed, slam, open, spacious, etc.). If you know what kind of sound you like then people can make suggestion to accentuate or tame certain aspects of that CD players sound.

Without know much I'd say get the Arcam A19 and some Kef R300 speakers to go with it.

Wow factor doesn't really help, because what wows one person might bother another, and things that are immediately impressive can sometimes be grating to listen to for long periods.

Yes, thank you. I totally agree. So there is one for Arcam. I've just began looking for that nice R300.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I suspect the Arcam A19 with Kef R300 is probably a good choice for you. If your room is on the smaller side, maybe R100 / LS50.

Tzutzu said:
Maybe in addition to my music preferences I should mention that I listen to low to moderate volumes.

Arcam and Roksan will both be adept at low to moderate levels, however, standmount speakers generally tend to be ristricted at lower levels, as opposed to floorstanders. This, again generally speaking, is because floorstanders are easier to drive (higher dbs), but there are standmounts like PMC, Focal, MA which bucks that sweeping assessment.

As Cno says making blind suggestions is risky, and can only offer a 'safe' choice and keep our fingers crossed our suggestions hits the mark.

Arcam, Roksan, Creek Evo, Primare i21, Exposure 2010S...

Personally I found Naim Nait 5i to be a little too aggressive, especially if your room acoustics are a little less than forgiving.

markiedee

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
I would whole heartedly suggest the arcam a19 with kef r300s the sound was out of this world amazing, when I demoed them very powerful clean and a pleasing sound.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Arcam and Roksan will both be adept at low to moderate levels, however, standmount speakers generally tend to be ristricted at lower levels, as opposed to floorstanders. This, again generally speaking, is because floorstanders are easier to drive (higher dbs), but there are standmounts like PMC, Focal, MA which bucks that sweeping assessment.

The R300s have terrific Scale and Impact for their size.......more like a small floorstander (IMO).

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi there!

One other amp to consider - the marantz K1 Pearl lite - I had an extended listening session through LS50s and compared it with the Kandy K2.

Both sounded very good - but I had a definite preference for the Marantz.

Like you i would like to compare with the new arcam. I was disappointed that a very recent magazine reviewed it very highly but did not include the K1 Pearl lite in the group review. Dooooh!

tonky

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
@PP Thanks for your advice. I think I got your idea about floorstanders or standmount speakers. I found it really important. Is there an equivalent floorstand option to R300 (staying in the same amount of quality for money)?

@CnoEvil Looks like you found a winner

@markiedee That's what I was looking for. Music-generated excitement. Thank you

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
tonky said:
Hi there!

One other amp to consider - the marantz K1 Pearl lite - I had an extended listening session through LS50s and compared it with the Kandy K2.

Both sounded very good - but I had a definite preference for the Marantz.

Like you i would like to compare with the new arcam. I was disappointed that a very recent magazine reviewed it very highly but did not include the K1 Pearl lite in the group review. Dooooh!

tonky

You're right. I really liked my Marantz, but as the poet says, when you have to change (like me), you change.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

The R300s have terrific Scale and Impact for their size.......more like a small floorstander (IMO).

I know - I'm just going on the speakers I've heard.

Tzutzu said:
@PP Thanks for your advice. I think I got your idea about floorstanders or standmount speakers. I found it really important. Is there an equivalent floorstand option to R300

No. The entry-level 'R' series floorstander is the R500, and they are quite big. The only real suggestion is going second hand or trying to track down a pair of Kef IQ50. These are very petite and very easy for positioning when it comes to smallish rooms.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I would say tho (INMHO) that the marantz pearl lite is a class above the marantz 5004 .

It was set up with the audiolab 8200 cd player when i heard it with the kef LS50 speakers

- very nice music - top class synergy!!

tonky

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Of course Pearl lite is superior, no doubt about it. I meant I wanted to change the brand.

And one thing that led me to 8200CD was the DAC thing. I understood there are also some flaws about the CDP, but I took the risk as most of the reviews were positive. Not only the reviews (we know there are some interests there) but also the users' opinions.

Tzutzu said:
Of course Pearl lite is superior, no doubt about it. I meant I wanted to change the brand.

And one thing that led me to 8200CD was the DAC thing. I understood there are also some flaws about the CDP, but I took the risk as most of the reviews were positive. Not only the reviews (we know there are some interests there) but also the users' opinions.

I've yet to hear a perfect component, at any price. Hi-fi is a compromise, and so personal, we each have to find the ideal compromise or sonic niche.

In addition, reviews are there as a guide. Also when they review a product they pitch it against other price compatible products, but in isolation, even a 4 star product would sound terrific. I've owned 4 star components.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts