Roksan Kandy K2 not impresive... Onkyo TX-8050 as an alternative ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DJ-pressure

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
WishTree said:
DJ-pressure said:
I think I will give it a go...

If worst come to worst I can always auction it.

I was just wondering If Denon combo may give a same or very similar efect - or maybe better :? ...

I have the Signature version of the DC6T but I guess the sound signature is same. I am currently driving it with a Classe CAP-2100 which is definetly in a different league. The Classe is a very transparent amp and so the final sound signature will be a mixture of the source and the speakers.

Having lived with DC6T, I would say they are brilliant Value for Money in all areas except that there is a little brightness. This is perfectly normal given today's hifi standards. IMO, Most amps as well as speakers are between neutrual to detailed presentation as seems to be liked by people alot.

Having said that, there are some people, me & perhaps you, who like the warmer presentation as it is easier on the ears though it may / may not sacrifice the details. There are not many amps out there who have such a warm signature. Onkyo is at best neutral but definetly not bright.

I would be looking at Marantz PM KI Pearl Lite as well as Denon PMA 1510AE to match these speakers. Denon is an unwanted child in Stereo amps section, for a reason not known to me. I used to own a PMA 500AE long long time ago and I loved the sound. I auditioned a Denon PMA 2010AE with Denon streamer (the speakers were from ELAC) and the sound was positively warm to me.

Please don't be concerned about the recommendations or lack of them about Denon and give it a shot.

Thank you WishTree for the advice,

Unfortunately I haven't got the budget to go for Marantz or Denon at the moment (can't find second hand one).

I wish I could try my Tannoys with the amplifier like yours, but I guess if I would have that amount of spare money, I would bought a new car. ;)

I was thinking about Denon PMA710AE - but it may be to week to drive the Tannoys + I don't really have chance to audition it.

DJ-pressure

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Andrej_1 said:
I would agree with RS and MP mostly. My Tannoys Eyris 3 are driven by Onkyo and I'm pretty happy with combination.

Onkyo is not warm, but Tannoys are (my opinion) so they kind of compensate and make good synergy. You should demo them with some other amps anyway.

Also, what kind of music do you prefer (probably missed this)? If my combo has a drawback, it is a hard rock. Most other music (acoustic, jazz, classic, classic rock) is just great. That is with my ears - but you should try it with yours.

I think my Tannoys are different sounding as i can't really say that my are warm.However the specs are similar.

I listen to all sorts of musick to be honest. Rock, Classical, rock & roll, Pop, Dance, Electro, House, hip hop, r&b, etc.

There are really great hits in almost every genre of music.

I must admitt I especialy do like drumms in rock and jazz bands ( solos ). But I like when it sounds realistic

DJ-pressure

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Thank you all for the input.

I will try one more time with a second hand classic gear (that will also nicely go with my CDplayer)

I've just bought a Marantz PM7200 !!!!! after 1hour of it being on the auction. I think if I'll wait, I would miss a chance as it's quite rare and wanted classic.

I know it was a budget amp in its days, but I will give it a go as i think it may have what I want - Reviews from the owners are promising.

If it will not suit my Tannoys, or if it won't be better for my Jamos then pioneer A-400 ( which if it will may go) , I should be able to resell it without problem.

The occasion to buy this amp comes rearly - Onkyo will still be there, if I want be happy with Marantz.

Or I may follow some other sugestions If there will be any more.

DJ-pressure

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
The Onkyo is a great piece of kit - good enough that I got quite carried away by it when I got it. Sound quality is excellent, particularly if clarity, detail and a sense of cohesion are important to you. I wouldn't describe it as warm and if it lacks slightly in one aspect this is it, but careful partnering can resolve the issue.

I doubt it would show the K2 a clean pair of heels though. The K2 is a very capable amp and given that I have found going back to NAD has been an improvement for me, I would be very surprised if you found the 8050 better than the Roksan.

I'm not sure if my Roksan was more foulty than I thought, but with the Tannoys, it just wasn't giving me the soud I expected.

It was just ok. And just ok is not enough for me to pay so much for it. Maybe I'm expecting too much....

T

the record spot

Have to say I find the setup I use delivers most of that DJ - the Tannoys have a clear and slightly forward presentation that separates components of a recording well but not excessively so. The Onkyo drives them nicely and the Denon is the icing on the cake. Give it a whirl and see how you go with it. If you're in the UK, the Distance Selling Regulations were made for this kind of thing.
small-logo.png

DJ-pressure

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
DJ-pressure said:
matthewpiano said:
The Onkyo is a great piece of kit - good enough that I got quite carried away by it when I got it. Sound quality is excellent, particularly if clarity, detail and a sense of cohesion are important to you. I wouldn't describe it as warm and if it lacks slightly in one aspect this is it, but careful partnering can resolve the issue.

I doubt it would show the K2 a clean pair of heels though. The K2 is a very capable amp and given that I have found going back to NAD has been an improvement for me, I would be very surprised if you found the 8050 better than the Roksan.

I'm not sure if my Roksan was more foulty than I thought, but with the Tannoys, it just wasn't giving me the soud I expected.

It was just ok. And just ok is not enough for me to pay so much for it. Maybe I'm expecting too much....

Or maybe my Pioneer A-400 (£90) set my expectation too high...?

DJ-pressure

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
the record spot said:
Have to say I find the setup I use delivers most of that DJ - the Tannoys have a clear and slightly forward presentation that separates components of a recording well but not excessively so. The Onkyo drives them nicely and the Denon is the icing on the cake. Give it a whirl and see how you go with it. If you're in the UK, the Distance Selling Regulations were made for this kind of thing.
small-logo.png

I'm based in the UK. Do you think every online shop will have to accept return?

T

the record spot

Well, seeing as you've bought the PM7200 - go with that for now and see how you go. Good call by the way!

Re: the DSRs, yes, every shop from whom you buy via mail order or the internet MUST accept a return - some try to wriggle out of it, but the likes of Superfi, Peter Tyson, Richer Sounds and the like will honour them to the letter.
small-logo.png

Andrej_1

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
DJ-pressure said:
Andrej_1 said:
I would agree with RS and MP mostly. My Tannoys Eyris 3 are driven by Onkyo and I'm pretty happy with combination.

Onkyo is not warm, but Tannoys are (my opinion) so they kind of compensate and make good synergy. You should demo them with some other amps anyway.

Also, what kind of music do you prefer (probably missed this)? If my combo has a drawback, it is a hard rock. Most other music (acoustic, jazz, classic, classic rock) is just great. That is with my ears - but you should try it with yours.

I think my Tannoys are different sounding as i can't really say that my are warm.However the specs are similar.

I listen to all sorts of musick to be honest. Rock, Classical, rock & roll, Pop, Dance, Electro, House, hip hop, r&b, etc.

There are really great hits in almost every genre of music.

I must admitt I especialy do like drumms in rock and jazz bands ( solos ). But I like when it sounds realistic

I agree with you, that DC range of Tannoys is different (mostly in hights), but sound signature over the rest of spectrum should be familiar.

Wish you all the best with Marantz.
smiley-smile.gif

DJ-pressure

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
the record spot said:
Well, seeing as you've bought the PM7200 - go with that for now and see how you go. Good call by the way! .
small-logo.png

Cheers. I have a good feeling about Marantz.

If it won't be good for my Tannoys, it should be a slight improvement over A-400 for my Jamos (which I supposed to let go after getting Tannoys, but I just can't push myself to do that - knowing how good they are. Also I'm not sure how much I would be able to get for them) ...? :?

joeyp1982

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
gday

i have a kandy k2 and short of spending three times the money i dont think ill get any better. i have a pair of ikon 7s running with a nad 545bee cd player as well. could probably do better with the cd player but it sounds awsome as is. the kandy has amazing detail, more than its rivals, including nad which while sounding louder missed out on much detail which is what i personally enjoy, it really is a budget thing. spend twice the money doesnt always give you twice the sound. my advise is stuff it and spend some money !!

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
joeyp1982 said:
gday

i have a kandy k2 and short of spending three times the money i dont think ill get any better. i have a pair of ikon 7s running with a nad 545bee cd player as well. could probably do better with the cd player but it sounds awsome as is. the kandy has amazing detail, more than its rivals, including nad which while sounding louder missed out on much detail which is what i personally enjoy, it really is a budget thing. spend twice the money doesnt always give you twice the sound. my advise is stuff it and spend some money !!

I must agree with joeyp1982 the KANDY K2 is very deailes amp, worm well bass and treble ballanced and amazzing sound stage. I bought it recently can't find any better amp than the k2 in its price , It is a shocking point of view for me to hear

that it is not good enough the problem is probably with speakers not with the K2 !

T

the record spot

LOL with the Tannoys?? I have my doubts. Probably just not the right mix for the OP. Keep the speakers, dump the amp. :)
small-logo.png

DJ-pressure

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi There,

So I was unlucky again and had to return the PM7200 as it had a little problem with noise from one chanel + there was no remote. I couldn't really tell the difference between my A-400 because the noise was too bad.

Finally I've decided to order TX8050! Is on its way .I can't wait to hear how it performs.

I've had also some thoughts on CD player. I want something more universal (like RS have his Denon DVD player) not at SQ expenses.

I've done some googling, and I was looking at OPPO BDP-83 and I've almost got it but lost auction on the end.

So I would like to know your opinions Which Blue Ray player will give me the best Sound Quality for cd audio ( for up to £350).

Any advice appreciated.

I was considering Pioneer BDP-LX55 - any thoughts?

SteveR750

joeyp1982 said:
gday

Audition an M2 your might change your mind. It's nothing like the K2 mind.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
DJ-pressure said:
Hi There,

So I was unlucky again and had to return the PM7200 as it had a little problem with noise from one chanel + there was no remote. I couldn't really tell the difference between my A-400 because the noise was too bad.

Finally I've decided to order TX8050! Is on its way .I can't wait to hear how it performs.

I've had also some thoughts on CD player. I want something more universal (like RS have his Denon DVD player) not at SQ expenses.

I've done some googling, and I was looking at OPPO BDP-83 and I've almost got it but lost auction on the end.

So I would like to know your opinions Which Blue Ray player will give me the best Sound Quality for cd audio ( for up to £350).

Any advice appreciated.

I can't say I've ever heard any other Universal players to compare it with , but I'm very happy with my Marantz UD5005. I picked it up new for a bargain £265.00 from Superfi ( normally £300 but on offer over Easter period). Worth considering as it's within your budget.

DJ-pressure

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
joeyp1982 said:
gday

Audition an M2 your might change your mind. It's nothing like the K2 mind.

Thanks Steve, but unfortunately is not within my budget :/

DJ-pressure

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
DIB said:
DJ-pressure said:
Hi There,

Any advice appreciated.

I can't say I've ever heard any other Universal players to compare it with , but I'm very happy with my Marantz UD5005. I picked it up new for a bargain £265.00 from Superfi ( normally £300 but on offer over Easter period). Worth considering as it's within your budget.

Thanks for the sugestion Dib. Have you considered other blu ray players when buying Marantz?

I would like to have best posible cd transport. How it compares to Denon and Pioneer that I've mention?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
500english pounds for the rx your looking at. Consider other Rx'ers 2channel & 5.1channel. Run in stereo they sound alot better than some purist will admit to. They'll also privide you with the option of a digital or anolog from your cd player....a really useful option.

They may not sound as loud as 2 channel amps but thery have ample power to really control speakers. On a 5.1 rx'er turn centre, rears and sub off and leave the psu to only have to deal with stereo and listen to the dynamics

I recently found modern dedicated 2 channel amps sound great in demo's due to how bright they are, they sound exciting. But in the home they lack weight and detail and the sort of warmth you discribe. I did listen to the rocksan, which did sound good. But personal taste, it only had one set of speaker outs, no tone controls and to me a hideous design...and a mid-range bass - that could have been the speakers at the demo though, but it did thump hard.

Try a few recievers out.

DJ-pressure

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
So I've got my TX8050 up and runnig, and guess what? I really like what I hear. :grin: :clap:

Thanks to Record Spot , WishTree, Andrej and others :clap: I'm gladly joining the club of TX8050 owners.

I think the "travel" I had through other amps helped me appreciated Onkyo more.

MP - you can be suprised - I did found Onkyo better than the Roksan. :O (might be the fact it goes well with Tannoys)

I'm finally happy with less money spend on amp. The rest of the money from Roksan refund I spend on CD player.

Well it's actually a Blu Ray player which have a really good cd transport - I went for Pioneer on the end.

When i picked up a player, I had a chat with a store assistant. He find the same as me - roksan - not impressive.

He audition it on few occasions and said about some other , even cheaper amps sounding better than K2.

I was glad to hear that.

+he mention that to better the cd transport in lx55 I would have to spend at least 1k on CD player.

Which makes me even happier. I told him about CD63KI I've got, and he said that I shouldhave about the same result playing CD with lx55 - which is really good.

So the most important bit is that I'm more happy with the Onkyo than I was with K2 + I saved the money.

DJ-pressure

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Now a little advice needed from you Guys,

What would be the best way to connect lx55 with TX8050 and tv for best audio - video results?

analog out? optical? hdmi ?

which ? how? and what cables?

Andrej_1

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi DJ,

I did it in a simple way: HDMI (all different players) to TV and optical to Onkyo.

But you would also want to try audio for CD listening (I didn't find any improvements).

TRENDING THREADS