Amplifier needed (Arcam FMJ A19, Roksan Kandy K2...)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Ajgarnham

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I've got the A19 and love it, I think it's more enjoyable to listen to than the kandy

i work selling both and have listened to my LS50s on both and preferred the arcam to live with although the Roksan is very impressive.

i listen to mainly rock and metal but do love Eric Clapton and A19 just hits the spot when I put that on. Massive smile on my face :grin: :rockout:

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Another one for A19. The road is clear. Did you say you sell them both? Can you give me some detail about their case? From the initials (FMJ) I know A19 wears a "full metal jacket". I'm pretty sure Kandy is well built, too. I wonder how is Creek's outfit.

:cheers: for Mr. Clapton.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Tzutzu said:
Hello danrv

Thank you for being here. It would be very interesting to know if you had any experience with your amp and Audiolab's 8200CD. In case you didn't read the whole story, I have to choose from this range of amps in which I included FMJ A19, Kandy K2 and Evo50. Till now, Arcam is a bit in the lead. I would like to know your opinion.

The 8200CD would certainly have been my choice had I not gone with the Roksan but I like the matching pair idea. The Kandy K2 amp is a cracking amp if you don't mind the visuals of the 8200CD and the Roksan together. Bags of power and easy with speaker matching.

I've had no experience with Creek but was considering pairing a 8200CD with the Creek Evo 2 or Arcam A19. The Creek looked a little short on inputs though. All good amps but for me, the Kandy looked the most versatile as I listen to a wide variety of music.

Re. speakers I prefer front ported standmounts on decent stands. Also my speakers are in corners so floorstanders I think would be too much bass wise.

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
That was my first question (before this thread): should I go for a mix or should I buy the same brand? I wanted to buy the same brand (Audiolab 8200A) but the reviews and users' opinions about the amp were not good even when they were ecstatic about the CDP. So I decided to pair the 8200CD with another amp.

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I listen to what I think is good music (Vladimir Horowitz, ACDC, The Beatles, Nigel Kennedy, Ray Charles, Eric Clapton, Eva Cassidy, Norah Jones, Coldplay, Itzhak Perlman, Katie Melua, Green Day, Leonard Cohen, The Rolling Stones, Arthur Rubinstein, Pink Martini, Muse, Bob Dylan and others) when I get to rest a little together with one of my friends (Clan MacGregor or Jack Daniel).

Just wanted to know your experiences with 8200CD and various amplifiers. And thank you again for being there, with all your knowledge.

dansettemajor

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi there

The Roksan is a superb amp. Excellent build quality, bags of useable power and very even handed in terms of tonal balance. It sounds equally good at low volumes in terms of soundstaging and it seems to have exceptional clarity in the silences between notes.

The visual balance with the Audiolab 8200 I personally would not find a problem as I like don't like all my hifi matching!

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Tzutzu said:
I wanted to buy the same brand (Audiolab 8200A) but the reviews and users' opinions about the amp were not good even when they were ecstatic about the CDP.

Same here. Just thumbed through the latest edition of WHF and the Arcam A19 came out tops in a £800 amp mega test. Recommended partnering kit was the Audiolab 8200CD and Kef LS50 speakers.

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Good evening to all of you

This is my second attempt to post. The first one was in the morning and it started something like that: "I had a dream with flying Arcams, Roksans and Creeks and in the morning I decided to call the seller for an Arcam".

I did call the seller. First he offered to sell me a demo A18. It was a good offer but I declined it. So we stuck to A19. But then he asked about speakers. "Buy a pair of speakers and you'll get a good deal". That touched my soul. And then another dilema started.

Focal, Revel, Epos and maybe Atohm (although it is a bit out of my price range). That's what I can choose from. I know nothing about these speakers. I've read about Kef, Wharfedale, Monitor Audio... What should I do? :wall:

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
danrv said:
Tzutzu said:
I wanted to buy the same brand (Audiolab 8200A) but the reviews and users' opinions about the amp were not good even when they were ecstatic about the CDP.

Same here. Just thumbed through the latest edition of WHF and the Arcam A19 came out tops in a £800 amp mega test. Recommended partnering kit was the Audiolab 8200CD and Kef LS50 speakers.

Yes but they did not test the Creek A50 which came out top in another group test inc. the Arcam.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Tzutzu said:
Good evening to all of you

This is my second attempt to post. The first one was in the morning and it started something like that: "I had a dream with flying Arcams, Roksans and Creeks and in the morning I decided to call the seller for an Arcam".

I did call the seller. First he offered to sell me a demo A18. It was a good offer but I declined it. So we stuck to A19. But then he asked about speakers. "Buy a pair of speakers and you'll get a good deal". That touched my soul. And then another dilema started.

Focal, Revel, Epos and maybe Atohm (although it is a bit out of my price range). That's what I can choose from. I know nothing about these speakers. I've read about Kef, Wharfedale, Monitor Audio... What should I do? :wall:

I think the Epos wil go fairly well with the Arcam, you know Epos is the same company as Creek. Focal have a wide range of speakers I suggest you read some reviews on them.

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Good afternoon

I've just made the deal. Arcam A19 it is. It will be paired with Focal 714. The guy I talked to was pretty sure that the Focals were the best match. His musical preferences were close to mine. We'll see. If I don't like the result, I'll send back the Focals and get something else (probably Epos Epic 5). This was part of the deal.

I'll let you know when I have the new setup. Unfortunately, Arcam will be here in not shorter than 3 weeks. Focal speakers will arrive sooner, so till the meeting with Arcam I'll give them a try.

Thank you all for help.

Ajgarnham

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Tzutzu said:
Good afternoon

I've just made the deal. Arcam A19 it is. It will be paired with Focal 714. The guy I talked to was pretty sure that the Focals were the best match. His musical preferences were close to mine. We'll see. If I don't like the result, I'll send back the Focals and get something else (probably Epos Epic 5). This was part of the deal.

I'll let you know when I have the new setup. Unfortunately, Arcam will be here in not shorter than 3 weeks. Focal speakers will arrive sooner, so till the meeting with Arcam I'll give them a try.

Thank you all for help.

3 weeks for the amp? Where is it coming from? Mine took a week to get from Arcam to work to me

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I do not know where it's coming from (probably China?). And it has to come to me (in Iasi, Romania). That's a long way |(

But there is one thing I didn't mention. The speakers (Focal Chorus 714; N.B. it's 714, not 714V) were launched in March 2013 8) . I can hardly wait to hear them.

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
The Focals are here to stay. They are incredible sweet to may ears. The front port allows me to place them close to the corners of the room. The bass, the midrange and the highs blend and the result is a nice, warm, sweet sound at low and moderate volumes. Just as I wanted. And I'm still using my Marantz. What will be with Arcam? We will see.

Till them, Eric Clapton, Ray Charles, Norah Jones and many others have found a new home.

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Promised an update. Here it is:

Had the Audiolab8200CD -Arcam A19 -Focal 714 setup for a while now. It's unbelievable. I'm very serious. Nothing too obvious, nothing too eccentric. The sound is beautiful, it's serious, is full, is soft. I didn't know there could be so much difference between brands and not only, but also inside the same brand (Before A19 I had for a demo an A18. Incredible improvement). Forgive my para-technical language, but this is my perception.

And another thing: Technics sl1200 mk2 with Audiotechnica cartridge through A19 (Mark Knopfler for instance)? God...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts