Roksan Kandy K2 BT Initial Impressions Review

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The new yellow wrapping transformer is not smaller (power wise), it just has different form factor. The Noratel blue one is thinner but wider in diameter.

One of the tell signs of transformer winding quality is how uniform and straight the angles are. If it's chubby like a donut, that is considered of lower quality. Does it affect amp performance? With easy to drive speakers I doubt it. But...

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
The new yellow wrapping transformer is not smaller (power wise), it just has different form factor. The Noratel blue one is thinner but wider in diameter.

One of the tell signs of transformer winding quality is how uniform and straight the angles are. If it's chubby like a donut, that is considered of lower quality. Does it affect amp performance? With easy to drive speakers I doubt it. But...

So do you believe the yellow labeled one looks lower quality?

Also, would you be able to answer this Vlad, an easy one for you I'm sure.....my dynaudios state 150w Max power. But they are 4ohm. The amp kicks out about 250w into 4ohm. I'm guessing this is OK?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
radiorog said:
So do you believe the yellow labeled one looks lower quality?

Looks good to me. Compare to the Noratel or this Talema.

radiorog said:
Also, would you be able to answer this Vlad, an easy one for you I'm sure.....my dynaudios state 150w Max power. But they are 4ohm. The amp kicks out about 250w into 4ohm. I'm guessing this is OK?

Those are all peak watts during very brief transients. If the amp would push continuous 150W in 4 ohms (not to mention 250W), it would be a very short race which one overheats first, amp or speaker. Music is peaky and this is why Kandy amps can get away with large power output with such a small heatsink. They need to be muscular only in moments, otherwise those 8 MOSFETs will cook you lunch.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Forget what I said about emotions disappearing with this incarnation of the k2bt, tonight was listening to a few CDs with pure emotion and amazement back in place. I do feel the amp has improved sonically since new ( now about 60hou r s) and also before I was using my radio as source. My CDP is definitely more warm and detailed sounding. I do feel there is still a difference in the sound slightly. With the one with the yellow transformer I think there was more depth and bass, to the point I felt my speakers had reached there limit. The sound seemed to be trying to break free from the speaker boxes if that paints a picture? The amp I have now with the novatel transformer has the sound sitting more within the speaker. It possibly sounds more comfortable for the speakers. With the first amp some male voices on the radio sounded a bit too deep. I wouldn't call it boomy, but the bass in one of the DJs voices was unnaturally bassy, this could however have been a production issue at the BBC...I don't know. More to think about for me....!

korisnik777

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I just bought the Roksan Kandy K2 BT and so far I'm really satisfied, but I got (hopefully not) an issue when streaming over bluetooh, and I'm wondering if anybody has the same issue.

1. Connect a device via BT (mobile phone or laptop)
2. Start playing a song
3. Pause the song
4. Turn the volume knob to 60-80%
5. Do you hear a high pitchec hissing sound from the speakers?

Much appreciated for the help

Cheers,
Ivan

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
korisnik777 said:
Hi,

I just bought the Roksan Kandy K2 BT and so far I'm really satisfied, but I got (hopefully not) an issue when streaming over bluetooh, and I'm wondering if anybody has the same issue.

1. Connect a device via BT (mobile phone or laptop)2. Start playing a song3. Pause the song4. Turn the volume knob to 60-80%5. Do you hear a high pitchec hissing sound from the speakers?

Much appreciated for the help

Cheers,Ivan

Yes, totally. I wouldn't call it hissing, but its a very high pitched noise. I've had about 4 k2bts and 2 k3's and they all do it. I found out the other day though that the noise is actually coming from the tablet and then being transferred to the amplifier. I found that on the amps which had more noise coming out of the right channel (all of mine have had a very small crackle coming through the right channel, but some more than others) the high pitched noise was also louder.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Yeah it is quite strange. When I used a separate bluetooth reciever with my brio r there was no such noise...that I heard.that said,I dont mind the noise knce the amp is playing,I cannot hear it and the sound quality of the roksans is worth it.

NikoBe

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Those are the 8 caps, indicated in red circles on the picture I linked

Do you still have the picture (or new one) ? The link is dead..

I just own a (brand) new bt and I'm very interested in comparing the spec (how geek am I) ? ;)

Daz66

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi have been reading through this thread with interest. I currently have a Cambridge audio 840 a v1 and was looking for an upgrade. Would the k2 be a good change possibly with the k2 power amp. My speakers are xtz 99.36 version 2. Thanks for any help.

Darren

Hi Vladimir,

I am new here at the forum but would like to ask you something if you don't mind.

Perhaps you can help me out.

I have a Roksan Kandy K2 BT with ProAc studio 150 speakers, but I am not satisfied with the sound (combination).

I am using cables (interlink and speaker cables from the Chord Company) silver plated.

The sound is often too harsh edgy in the upper end, lot of sssss in the voices.

Should I change the cable into pure copper or is the combination wrong between speakers and amplifier.

Not all records do have this problem, but quite a lot of them ( .flac) I am streaming with Logitech squeezebox and Rega Dac.

Hope you have an idea? Thanks a lot for your comments.

Best Regards

Gerard

Gerard van der Bok said:
Hi Vladimir,

I am new here at the forum but would like to ask you something if you don't mind.

Perhaps you can help me out.

I have a Roksan Kandy K2 BT with ProAc studio 150 speakers, but I am not satisfied with the sound (combination).

I am using cables (interlink and speaker cables from the Chord Company) silver plated.

The sound is often too harsh edgy in the upper end, lot of sssss in the voices.

Should I change the cable into pure copper or is the combination wrong between speakers and amplifier.

Not all records do have this problem, but quite a lot of them ( .flac) I am streaming with Logitech squeezebox and Rega Dac.

Hope you have an idea? Thanks a lot for your comments.

Best Regards

Gerard

Hope Vlad doesn't mind my input.

I've heard the original K2 (non BT version) and it's a pretty smooth operator. The amp/speaker combo should be fine... I think, however, it'll be a process of elimination. Changing cables will only yield small differences IMHO.

Generally speaking sibilance is caused by poor synergy. I would start with the cheapest, a home dem of some different cables (good quality copper) and see where that takes you. Your dealer (high street or online) can point you towards the appropriate wires.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
You can try thick copper cables without the silver. I had also a grain sound when turned up also.

Could be a room problem also or as pp said synergy

Thanks a lot for the comments so far, the typical thing is that not all records are edgy, some of them. Like the song: tu y yo from enrique iglesias, not my favorite but with Spotify mp3 320kbit quality it's very harsh, also the song from Last Christmas.

And not all songs playing with Spotify sounds bad, not at all. A lot of songs also sounds great.

It seems like the amplifier is very sensitive for bad records, when it's good quality then the sound is really great but when the quality is bad then it's not nice to listen to at all.

I am trying to sell my Chord cables for a pure copper cable, both of them actually. Interlink and speaker cables.

If this not helps a lot I will try to get rid of my Pro Ac speakers, I had the Response D-18 a year ago and they didn't sound edgy at all but with a Rega Elicit-R. The sound was much better. When I turn up the volume of the Roksan let's say 10 o'clock, the sound it's getting worse with a lot of sssss in the voices. I will see if the cables will change anything.....hopefully.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Gerard van der Bok said:
Thanks a lot for the comments so far, the typical thing is that not all records are edgy, some of them. Like the song: tu y yo from enrique iglesias, not my favorite but with Spotify mp3 320kbit quality it's very harsh, also the song from Last Christmas.

And not all songs playing with Spotify sounds bad, not at all. A lot of songs also sounds great.

It seems like the amplifier is very sensitive for bad records, when it's good quality then the sound is really great but when the quality is bad then it's not nice to listen to at all.

I am trying to sell my Chord cables for a pure copper cable, both of them actually. Interlink and speaker cables.

If this not helps a lot I will try to get rid of my Pro Ac speakers, I had the Response D-18 a year ago and they didn't sound edgy at all but with a Rega Elicit-R. The sound was much better. When I turn up the volume of the Roksan let's say 10 o'clock, the sound it's getting worse with a lot of sssss in the voices. I will see if the cables will change anything.....hopefully.

Here are my thoughts, in case it helps.

Cables can help (IMO) if it's a fairly subtle change you are after. I like Linn Black I/Cs (eBay) and Linn K20 or QED 79 strand speaker cable. I've had cables in the past that highlighted sibilance.

Proac speakers are voiced with valves in mind and can (IMO) sound a bit bright with SS amps. They do however have a very good synergy with Sugden Class A amps. I suspect they would also work with Arcam and Electocompaniet.

I was involved with a member on here (SuperGalloot), who owned expensive Proacs, powered by Roksan and found it sounded harsh and shouty. He ended up with a full Sugden Masterclass system, with which he was totally enthralled.

CnoEvil said:
Gerard van der Bok said:

If this not helps a lot I will try to get rid of my Pro Ac speakers, I had the Response D-18 a year ago and they didn't sound edgy at all but with a Rega Elicit-R. The sound was much better. When I turn up the volume of the Roksan let's say 10 o'clock, the sound it's getting worse with a lot of sssss in the voices. I will see if the cables will change anything.....hopefully.
Here are my thoughts, in case it helps.

Cables can help (IMO) if it's a fairly subtle change you are after. I like Linn Black I/Cs (eBay) and Linn K20 or QED 79 strand speaker cable. I've had cables in the past that highlighted sibilance.

Proac speakers are voiced with valves in mind and can (IMO) sound a bit bright with SS amps. They do however have a very good synergy with Sugden Class A amps. I suspect they would also work with Arcam and Electocompaniet.

I was involved with a member on here (SuperGalloot), who owned expensive Proacs, powered by Roksan and found it sounded harsh and shouty. He ended up with a full Sugden Masterclass system, with which he was totally enthralled.

Thanks a lot for your comment CnoEvil, that makes sense! I know now that the Roksan is not the best match with the Proac's.

In Holland there is a Naim Nait 5SI available which is 1 year old and they ask for a price of € 850,- euro.

The synergy between Naim and ProAc is also much better I have red on several forums.

So first I have get rid of the Roksan, which is only 1 year old and still got 4 years warranty, brand new actually, a shame but if I am not satisfied with the combination, I have to change it, it's simple.

Anyway thanks for your comments and have a good day!

Regards

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You are welcome.

I'm not a fan of Naim amps, so it may be worth trying a variety of other brands as well....don't rule out Valves, or Hybrid designs from the likes of Pathos, Vincent and Unison Research Primo.

Proac can sound wonderful when correctly matched.

The Mad One

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
cno evil said:

If you don't mind me saying i think an Abrahamsen v.20 Amp could well be the answer to your problem i have pro ac speakers and with this amp its totally amazing sounding, of all the years ive been into this hifi bug i think ive finally found an amp and spreakers that just trounce any other combo ive heard (in my opinion) and theres been a few from budget to mid/high set-ups.

At £900 its a bloody bargain

This is just my opinion though but well worth a thought.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts