Replacing my project debut II

margin_walker

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
After almost 10 years my pro next debut II has given up the ghost and rather than pay to get it fixed I think my money will be better spent on a new TT. I have a budget of about 500 quid and was hoping for a bit of advice on a decent upgrade.

ta

MW

Welcome to the forum.

Do you want to buy new?

If so I can suggest either Project 1xpression carbon or Rega RP3.

Do you have a decent cartridge as some of these come pre-fitted with a cartridge so you can save a bit by buying one without.

If you want to go second-hand it is a bit of a minefield.

margin_walker

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I think I'll probably go for new and leave the second hand market to people who know what they are doing. Any reason for going for either the project over the rega and vice versa? I don't have a decent cartridge so would ideally like a TT that came with a decent one and could be upgraded in future.

Frankly I don't think there is that much between these two turntables.

If you can get the RP3 without a cartridge I would go for that and spend about £100 on a decent cartridge (I do not rate the Elys cartridge that normally comes pre-fitted)

Failing that I would go for the project which I think is very slightly better if only for the fact it has an Ortofon Silver cartridge pre-fitted which is not too shoddy.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:

If you can get the RP3 without a cartridge I would go for that and spend about £100 on a decent cartridge (I do not rate the Elys cartridge that normally comes pre-fitted)

Failing that I would go for the project which I think is very slightly better if only for the fact it has an Ortofon Silver cartridge pre-fitted which is not too shoddy.

agrred on the RP3/ELys 2 - i know as i owned one.

Get an RP3 then stick a Nagaoka MP110 or 150 on............lovely!

stevebrock said:
Al ears said:

agrred on the RP3/ELys 2 - i know as i owned one.

Get an RP3 then stick a Nagaoka MP110 or 150 on............lovely!

Cheers!

+1 for the Nag.

margin_walker

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanks all. I have been into my local dealers today and they stock the RP3s without cartridges for £480. He didn't rate the elys either and said usually they fit the ortofon red to go with it. Is everyone agreed I should request a nagaoka instead? They seem pretty similar price wise

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
+1 for Nagoka.

The Ortofon Red is very detailed but painfully bright. The Nagoka, any Nagoka, will make your records sound like they should.

margin_walker

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I think my desicion is made. An RP3 with Nag cartridge it is. Thanks for all the advice, I'll let you all know what I think once I have got it home and set up.

ta

MW

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I know there's a bit of a love in for Nagaoka on these boards at the moment, but I am really loving my new Pro-Ject with 2M Blue, though I don't know how big a jump up from a 2M Red it is.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
The 2M Blue is a pretty big jump up; it's far more refined and has better-defined bass and smoother treble whilst maintaining the characteristically detailed Ortofon sound. Overall, It sounds more sophisticated and less shrill. I still think a good Nagaoka or Audio Technica produces, oh how you say, a more vinyl-friendly sound. That's just my ears; other ears are available.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Freddy58 said:
An interesting read this, as fairly soon I'll be in the market for a half-decent cart :)

When is fairly soon? It's time you sorted yourself out, Freddy. You old git. :)

He will have forgotten about it by tomorrow
smiley-wink.gif

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Freddy58 said:
An interesting read this, as fairly soon I'll be in the market for a half-decent cart :)

When is fairly soon? It's time you sorted yourself out, Freddy. You old git. :)

Oh come on now Jim, ain't you been reading my input?? I move house in a few more weeks, then shortly after, it's "Time For A New Set-Up" (my thread that pretty much everyone ignored)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts