Have second-hand prices gone mad?

Fandango Andy

A friend asked my advice on an inexpensive record player for her teenage daughter who is just getting into vinyl. I suggested rather than buy something rubbish, have a look for a half decent second hand one. We looked on ebay and saw Pro-Ject Debut and Debut II’s selling for £150+ (selling for, not just asking). This seemed a little high.

But the real shock was a selection of Marantz TT120 and TT130’s for up to £190 with words like “rare” and “Vintage” in the adverts. For those who don’t know these models, are fairly typical examples of plastic cased record players that just about every Japanese manufacturer had an example of at the cheaper end of their range in the 1980’s. The Marantz came in a fetching silver/gold “champagne” colour to ensure it wont match any other component in your system.

I know about the TT120 because I have one. When I first started buying records about fifteen years ago, I purchased one from ebay. It is now in my bedroom attached to my second system and gets used very occasionally. I seem to remember paying £9 + £4 postage for it back then. Who knew I was buying a “rare vintage” item!

If you have got to the end of this ramble and are wondering about the friend’s daughter, they stretched their budget and got an ex demo Pro-Ject Essential II for a very reasonable £159.

Reactions: nopiano
There are a lot of fairly crappy decks from the 1970s and ‘80s advertised that way. There were of course a few gems like the Sansui SR-222 and Pioneer PL-12D.

Good choice by your friends, however. When I used to sell Hifi at a Saturday job, you’d see how most people handled their records and turntables. Enough to put you off used items unless owned by a scrupulously careful person!

Reactions: Fandango Andy

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I don’t think prices are that bad if you know what you’re looking for.

After all it’s only worth as much as someone is willing to pay.

In all honesty there’s only a handful of items that I’d buy second hand that I’d buy at 40-50 years young.

Fandango Andy

I don’t think prices are that bad if you know what you’re looking for.

After all it’s only worth as much as someone is willing to pay.

In all honesty there’s only a handful of items that I’d buy second hand that I’d buy at 40-50 years young.
I was particularly talking about record players. Both the jump in price of relatively new second hand, and the 80's plastic fantastic I mentioned.

After I looked at this i looked at other items as well, 20year old entry level amps from NAD and Marantz and the like are getting £50 to £100 where as a decade ago (when they were newer) they would top out at £50. The noticeable thing was amps without a phono stage were much cheaper.

I was particularly talking about record players. Both the jump in price of relatively new second hand, and the 80's plastic fantastic I mentioned.

After I looked at this i looked at other items as well, 20year old entry level amps from NAD and Marantz and the like are getting £50 to £100 where as a decade ago (when they were newer) they would top out at £50. The noticeable thing was amps without a phono stage were much cheaper.
An amp, in those days, without a phono stage would have been a rare thing.
The, so called, vinyl revival, has pushed turntable prices sky high it would seem. For no apparent reason.......
Vinyl newbies beware....

Used prices are going up because new prices are going up. More people are turning to used to find something affordable, creating more demand.

I've seen the Pioneer PL12D that nopiano mentions on sale for £200 - it was £40 new.
Yes, mine was £39.95 from Reading Hifi, and the Shure M75ED cartridge was £9.95 from Comet. But 1973 was a long time ago…!

Last edited:
Think many are taking advantage of the inflated prices, trouble is the price gap between new and used has closed over the last 2-3 years, I'd rather spend the extra on a new table.
Yes, at least you know that a new one has no "history" - you see posts on forums and online groups of people sending used turntable by post and not packing them properly. I had that too, when I picked up a used Ariston Q Deck (owned one back in the day) for the girlfriend to use - wasn't packed properly and turned up damaged. Probably lots out there that have been botched back to acceptability and are circulating...

My 1974 Hifi Year Book says £59.40 but that may be plus VAT. The fair comparison today is the deck only version at £2160 inc VAT, with its much improved motor, bearing and plinth. But point taken!
When I worked at Radfords in Plymouth, I visited a competitor and they had some old hi-fi magazines which had ads from back in the day. One ad, might have been '71/'72, had the LP12 at £37...

Reactions: nopiano
Yes, at least you know that a new one has no "history" - you see posts on forums and online groups of people sending used turntable by post and not packing them properly. I had that too, when I picked up a used Ariston Q Deck (owned one back in the day) for the girlfriend to use - wasn't packed properly and turned up damaged. Probably lots out there that have been botched back to acceptability and are circulating...
Indeed. Turntables and speakers are the only components I would hesitate to buy used. The only time I've purchased speakers used or ex-demo were the TB2s. They were purchased from Unilet in their Blue Murder sale, and I collected them rather than risk courier companies.

Indeed. Turntables and speakers are the only components I would hesitate to buy used. The only time I've purchased speakers used or ex-demo were the TB2s. They were purchased from Unilet in their Blue Murder sale, and I collected them rather than risk courier companies.
Reminds me, about 20 years ago I bought some KEF Reference 105/3s used - turned up and the "donut" inner roll surrounds and outer roll surrounds of the inner drivers had all perished. And supposedly from a reputable second hand dealer. Obviously, they went straight back. I guess it's a bit like buying a car nowadays - you have no guarantee of how the mechanical parts have been treated or maintained.

Last edited:

Fandango Andy

I have purchased both of those items second hand, twice🤣. The aforementioned Marantz TT. My Pro-Ject Debut 2 which was virtually unused. the chap got it because he wanted to get into vinyl then realised he didn't like it!

I also go a pair of Q Acoustic loudspeakers to use as rears in my AV setup. Had then about four years and they are still going strong.

Finally, I wanted smaller speakers to use with my main setup as the Missions I have were to obtrusive in the room. When I first had them it was a close call between the Mission and Tannoy M1's . When I saw a pair of the latter on Ebay "collection only" no bids and around the corner from where I live it seemed like fate! Again they were like new despite being about 20 years old. I have been using them for about 18 months. This also gave me the chance to move my Missions into the bedroom. They work really well here as they are front ported and very forgiving about placement near a wall.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts