Praise & shame - rate your new vinyl here

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

The new Codeine box set is superb quality from packaging to pressing. On Numero Uno, an off shoot of Sub Pop, the set includes 3 x 2 lp editions plus cd versions of each album and also includes demos, BBC sessions, b sides, etc.

Vinyl comes in very thick quality gatefold card sleeves, each with a slot for the cd version, all housed in a superb quality slipcase.

So far I have only played "The White Birch" which is the bands final album and a masterpiece in slo core alt music. The pressing is superb. On very thick vinyl with no surface noise, at least not to my ears.

Highly recommended if you like bands like Low or Mogwai you will love this. Quite expensive in some places but I got mine from Spin CDs for £69.99, which is the cheapest I found. Delivery was free, fast and box was well packaged.

The box was limited to 1000 copies worldwide and it looks like a few places have sold out but each album is available separately, and whilst all are superb in their own right if I had to recommend one I would say go for "The White Birch"

8673sharp

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
Blur_Parklife_large.jpg

The britpop scene really passed me by during the early 90's being far more interested in Pantera, Nirvana and erm Green Jelly... :oops:

Now that they have released all the Blur albums on vinyl,thought it would be rude not to have a try on probably the most prominent Blur album (there, I didnt say best!)

Was surprised at how many songs I actually recognised other than Parklife and Girls and Boys.

The packaging is absolutely stunning and it is done a service being reproduced in 12" glory! It also comes with a download voucher for all the extra tracks available ( theyre not really my bag-if anyone wants it, let me know as I havent and wont use it. Not being a luddite, but I just wont get round to it until its too late!)

Also it is a double LP if that makes any odds, I prefer it though.

moriarty

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Dead Can Dance - Anastasis

I actually played the download (free with the vinyl) a few times before getting around to spinning the records today ... WOW! The download sounded pretty damn good but the vinyl is jaw dropping!

Ladies & gentlemen THAT is how you produce, record & master and album.

£15 on Amazon for double heavyweight vinyl in gatefold sleeve + free download - what's not to like?!?!?

61rcraJ0VtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

geordie777

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Just received the new Cat Power album today YOU ARE FREE. It comes in a gatefold sleeve with a free download and cost only £9.29 and that included postage. (Amazon). Have only just started playing and sounds very good so far.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Ooh, just received my vinyl copy of Bob Dylan's new one - Tempest. Meant to be very good.

Haven't unwrapped or played yet (that's for this evening), but a CD is included too.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Tempest by Bob Dylan - very good indeed (if you like Dylan, of course).

Two 180g LPs and a CD too.

Sound quality is excellent, and the vocals are very forward in the mix. (Those who don't like Dylan's voice might not appreciate this) but the lyrics are very clear (makes a welcome change from other artists, where the artist must also think the lyrics are pretty pointless and so make them inaudible).

Reminded me of the Nat King Cole 45rpm ones.

I think this one will be a much-played addition.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
Tempest by Bob Dylan - very good indeed (if you like Dylan, of course).

Two 180g LPs and a CD too.

Sound quality is excellent, and the vocals are very forward in the mix. (Those who don't like Dylan's voice might not appreciate this) but the lyrics are very clear (makes a welcome change from other artists, where the artist must also think the lyrics are pretty pointless and so make them inaudible).

Reminded me of the Nat King Cole 45rpm ones.

I think this one will be a much-played addition.

Hi 'DandyC' . . . not a good morning for me, so, to give me a bit of a lift I switched the amp on and pulled up Spotify. Thats not the Dylan I remember . . . ? Playing at this moment, finding it hard to pull myself away! It does for me the same as Leonard Cohen, I cant stand early Cohen, was never impressed by the Dylan of my apprentice years . . . the passage of time has added something, like vintage port, mellow, very moreish.

On my list to listen again tonight, when Spotify sounds better and the amp will be warmed up better . . . in the meantime, jobs to do in the shed . . . retirement has its advantages.

CJSF

Paul.

I'm getting quite excited now... Jumping back on the wagon :) I'm in the cue at eBay waiting for my turn to get a bargain TT, I have Polinksi's album Labyrinths waiting to be heard...

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
CJSF said:
Hi 'DandyC' . . . not a good morning for me, so, to give me a bit of a lift I switched the amp on and pulled up Spotify. Thats not the Dylan I remember . . . ? Playing at this moment, finding it hard to pull myself away! It does for me the same as Leonard Cohen, I cant stand early Cohen, was never impressed by the Dylan of my apprentice years . . . the passage of time has added something, like vintage port, mellow, very moreish.

On my list to listen again tonight, when Spotify sounds better and the amp will be warmed up better . . . in the meantime, jobs to do in the shed . . . retirement has its advantages.

CJSF

Good to hear from you cjsf.

Definitely in same league as "Old Ideas" by Leonard Cohen. I'm going to settle in for another listen tonight. I've got the CD in the car, but it's really not the same sound and mood as on vinyl through the hifi. This is certainly one for the hifi.

A

Anonymous

picked up coply of ray charles ablum aint it so in groucho music dundee for a quid, seems mint and its as if you can tell the room he recorded it in, voice is so rich !! best at the moment though is the bomb shelter sessions- vintage trouble just sublime !!

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Just received my copy of Flaming Lips & Heady Fwends on vinyl - a delayed release and apparently some were made with the blood of the recording artists. All I can say, halfway through, is that this is superb. The vinyl itself is art... Who knows what side you're playing (except the second disc seems thinner, and in my case a bit warped) but the sound is fantastic. I'll post a pic of the vinyl. Sorry, streaming does not connect you to music like a needle on a record.

CD included.

I also think that my Graham Slee Novo headphone amp is starting to to blossom!

Love what they include as the runoff bit of each side.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
If the market for new vinyl is actually growing...why do so few people comment on the new vinyl they are buying? Come on guys/gals...

(ps. "new" as in newly/recently released - otherwise, post in the "what vinyl am I listening to" thread, so that it gives people an idea of whether to spend at least twice the price of a CD/download) :)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
If the market for new vinyl is actually growing...why do so few people comment on the new vinyl they are buying? Come on guys/gals...

(ps. "new" as in newly/recently released - otherwise, post in the "what vinyl am I listening to" thread, so that it gives people an idea of whether to spend at least twice the price of a CD/download) :)

Mmm . . . In my care Dandy, I have not bought any vinyl since May, the last time Hazel was fully mobile, we now both go to the Town on Mobility scooters, its a pain to visit the local charity shops. So I listen to Spotify a lot, 'as I am at this moment' . . . or dig into my 300+ pre 90's LP's. I even though the otherday, do I need a TT . . . or a CDp . . . ????? Curently playing; 'A journey in to early country hits'.

Last night, it was some new music by Tom Jones on BBC iPlayer, amazing sound quality, simple music with real feeling. So yes one is still listening but as there is little interest in or a section for Spotify . . .
smiley-cool.gif
Yep and a nice hot mug of Horlicks is by my side with honey.

CJSF

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
Last night, it was some new music by Tom Jones on BBC iPlayer, amazing sound quality, simple music with real feeling.

Is that the gig that featured Seasick Steve? I saw most of that, left me absolutely stone cold, I don't understand this sudden reverance towards Tom Jones, as if he's some kind of authentic source for gospel and blues, he just isn't. Singing something in a low, gruff voice isn't the same as singing it with real emotion.

That isn't a personal dig at your either CJ, you just happened to be the person who mentioned Tom Jones, nothing more than a coincidence.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
CJSF said:
Last night, it was some new music by Tom Jones on BBC iPlayer, amazing sound quality, simple music with real feeling.

Is that the gig that featured Seasick Steve? I saw most of that, left me absolutely stone cold, I don't understand this sudden reverance towards Tom Jones, as if he's some kind of authentic source for gospel and blues, he just isn't. Singing something in a low, gruff voice isn't the same as singing it with real emotion.

That isn't a personal dig at your either CJ, you just happened to be the person who mentioned Tom Jones, nothing more than a coincidence.

Ah well, each to his own The_Lhc, to me and Hazel, it was easy, relaxed, uncomplicated music making, IMHO, but then, we like that type of music . . . I am not a particular fan of Tom Jones, especially as 'medallion man', however this new style, I happen to like. I do search out gospel and blues on Spotify. Personal choice.

We actually watch the performance twice, first time on HD TV, then we went into the music room and found it on iPlayer, swapping sound quality for picture quality, a much better deal. Feature Seasick Steve, not a favourit of mine . . . I enjoyed TJ's backing group 'the Staves'8) , they have a couple of EPs on Spotify . . . . my type of music.

CJSF

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
The_Lhc said:
CJSF said:

Ah well, each to his own The_Lhc, to me and Hazel, it was easy, relaxed, uncomplicated music making,

Oh yeah, I wouldn't question that, I just didn't get any sense of feeling from his vocals.

IMHO, but then, we like that type of music . . . I am not a particular fan of Tom Jones, especially as 'medallion man', however this new style, I happen to like. I do search out gospel and blues on Spotify. Personal choice.

I'm not averse to that myself, although I prefer early blues, if anyone mentions Gary Moore or even Clapton I'm liable to explode, I don't know what they play but it isn't the Blues.

Feature Seasick Steve, not a favourit of mine . . .

I quite like him, one man and his single string homemade plank guitar, doesn't get much simpler and he tells a good story (I've got one of his on vinyl, can't remember what it's called, but it's decent sound quality), he's also singing from experience unlike Mr Jones, which, for me at least, is crucial for this kind of music. Anyway, I only mentioned him to make sure we were talking about the same gig.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
CJSF said:
The_Lhc said:
CJSF said:

Ah well, each to his own The_Lhc, to me and Hazel, it was easy, relaxed, uncomplicated music making,

Oh yeah, I wouldn't question that, I just didn't get any sense of feeling from his vocals.

IMHO, but then, we like that type of music . . . I am not a particular fan of Tom Jones, especially as 'medallion man', however this new style, I happen to like. I do search out gospel and blues on Spotify. Personal choice.

I'm not averse to that myself, although I prefer early blues, if anyone mentions Gary Moore or even Clapton I'm liable to explode, I don't know what they play but it isn't the Blues.

Feature Seasick Steve, not a favourit of mine . . .

I quite like him, one man and his single string homemade plank guitar, doesn't get much simpler and he tells a good story (I've got one of his on vinyl, can't remember what it's called, but it's decent sound quality), he's also singing from experience unlike Mr Jones, which, for me at least, is crucial for this kind of music. Anyway, I only mentioned him to make sure we were talking about the same gig.

The word for me is 'uncomplicated' or 'simple', that gig fitted the bill, it was not the artist involved, in fact, I only stumbled across it channel clicking . . . and thats where I always seem to split . . . if I like something, I like it, regardless of who is performing, I dont follow a specific individual, or style, I cant, my dyslexic memory for names and the like is so poor, I have to take what comes . . . ? The highlight for me was the feature presentation by 'the Staves' . . . I just love harmony, I shall watch their space? Seasick Steve, he certainly has a way and energy on the guitar, nice old valve amp he was using too.

CJSF

Oldenbroke

Mar 11, 2008
Visit site
I took a punt on Antonio Forcione & Sabina Sciubba -

"Meet Me in London" on the Naim label. Not a jazz fan

but the sound is wonderful. I'll definitely listen to more

of his guitar. 8)

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Managed to get the lounge to myself this morning, without having to put bjork on
smiley-wink.gif

First listen of Alt-J "An Awesome Wave" on vinyl. Bought this one blind, although almost didn't when I heard that Mumford and co had covered one of the songs.

This is so much better than Mumford, although similarities are there. A lot cleverer and more creative. Probably not everyone's cup of tea, as does move around and change style a bit, but very well produced and good quality recording( even on white vinyl).

Download code included.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Oldenbroke said:
I took a punt on Antonio Forcione & Sabina Sciubba -

"Meet Me in London" on the Naim label. Not a jazz fan

but the sound is wonderful. I'll definitely listen to more

of his guitar. 8)

I enjoy a bit of jazz, dont profess to understand much of it, but I do enjoy it . . . Looked up 'Antonio Forcione' on Spotify, superb, whilst I was there I bumped into 'Julie Dunn & the John Holder Trio', as well as legend that is 'Thelonious Monk' . . . they are all on my play list for further listening at the witching hours of Horlicks.

CJSF

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Having recently got back from holiday I have been able to play these two, only arrived day before holiday.

The XX - Coexist. This is very very good, lots of space and deep bass. Nice heavy vinyl, gatefold sleev with full book too.

Yeasayer - Fragrant World. Also very good, lots going on but is handled very well, double album on white and blue vinyl, gatefold sleeve.

Both thoroughly recommended and as a bonus both had cds with them for the ipod/iphone.

Looking forward to Flaming Lips - Heady Fwends being delivered.

geordie777

May 16, 2012
Visit site
The latest offering from Mr Lydon is superb double album gatefold sleeve and sq is excellent only drawback no download code. Sorry album is called THIS IS PIL.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Have to agree with This Is Pil, great album for both sound quality and the music, hoping they play Glastonbury or Latitude next year.

Today's post brought Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends and also The Haunted Man by Bat For Lashes. Both gatefold double albums on heavy gauge vinyl with CDs. Will be taking them for a spin at the weekend and will report back.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts