Praise & shame - rate your new vinyl here

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
1) Sunken Condos - Donald Fagen

More super-smooth grooves with just enough bite to keep it involving. Great pressing witn nine tracks spread across three sides of vinyl. No CD or d/load code though.

2) Oh No, I Love You - Tim Burgess

I love this album so much at the moment. I've been enjoying it on Spotify for a fortnight or so, and decided to go for the vinyl. Well packaged with an extra vinyl EP of remixes and standard album on CD too. Sounds good.

For fans of Lambchop too, of course. Co-written by Tim Burgess and Kurt Wagner. Plus there's even a paean to the black stuff itself, A Case For Vinyl.

3) Elysium - Pet Shop Boys

Doesn't quite sparkle like the CD. The instrumental LP version is brilliant though. I hope The Vinyl Factory are preparing the ridiculously priced 11 disc edition as we speak. Maybe not, but here's hoping.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
jimbofisher said:
Today's post brought Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends and also The Haunted Man by Bat For Lashes. Both gatefold double albums on heavy gauge vinyl with CDs. Will be taking them for a spin at the weekend and will report back.

The CD of Bat for Lashes is great - interesting to know what the vinyl is like. Mrs C thought it reminded her of Kate Bush - production sounds excellent, and very atmospheric.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Having enjoyed the cd of the Bat For Lashes album yesterday whilst moving about the house I couldn't resist the temptation to listen to the vinyl. It doesn't disappoint. On taking it out of the sleeve both vinyl disks are white, very pretty as the wife said. Lyric and drawings booklet included.

Excellent recording, spacious, drums sharp, vocals very clear and yes very atmospheric. Nice warm sound but not at all dull. Highly recommended.

Part way through my wife said she must remember to recommend the album to a friend who wants to listen to some new music, praise indeed!

moriarty

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
BAT FOR LASHES - THE HAUNTED MAN

I'd also endorse the Bat For Lashes album; fantastic album - great pressing (although wasn't expecting white vinyl; no such sticker on the shrinkwrap) - nice cover / booklet - free CD for ripping.

10/10 for music & product!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I've belatedly come to the Suzanne Vega 'Close Up' series of recordings - a few years back she re-recorded her songs and grouped them into themes. First volume on heavyweight vinyl sounds brilliant; saving up for the rest now!

suzanne_vega-close_up_vol_1_love_songs.jpg

fishheads

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
New Godspeed You Black Emperor record

Those who know Constellation releases will know exactly what I mean when I mention the smell of their vinyl records (think old bookstores or NME pages when the print used to smear all over your hands mmmm)

The others can just think I'm slightly weird

moriarty

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
DAVID BOWIE - THE RISE & FALL OF ZIGGY STARDUST & THE SPIDERS FROM MARS (40th Anniversary Vinyl)

Nice heavyweight vinyl and cover. The remaster definitely sounds more 'refined' than my old RCA mid-price copy.

No idea how to go about ripping the audio tracks from the DVD though!

51HiPRo0obL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
jimbofisher said:
Some of my favourite words are uttered by my online vinyl seller 'your order has been shipped and will be with you shortly'!

Can't wait till I get the same email about the new Diana Krall album that I ordered weeks ago
smiley-smile.gif

Apparently her husband Elvis Costello is playing on the album under his pseudonym Howard Coward, or something like that?

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Bellowhead and Django Django arrived at work today, hopefully will get an opportunity to listen to them tonight. If not will be the weekend, although Sunday evening vinyl will not be taking place as off to see Bat For Lashes, hope her live show can match the quality of the vinyl of The Haunted Man!

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
jimbofisher said:
Bellowhead and Django Django arrived at work today, hopefully will get an opportunity to listen to them tonight. If not will be the weekend, although Sunday evening vinyl will not be taking place as off to see Bat For Lashes, hope her live show can match the quality of the vinyl of The Haunted Man!

I hope she finds some clothes before her show on Sunday as she might feel a bit nippy up on that cold stage .

How does her latest album compare to her first ( which is the only one of her's that I have got) , as I have been debating whether to get it or not ?

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
I hope she finds some clothes before her show on Sunday as she might feel a bit nippy up on that cold stage . How does her latest album compare to her first ( which is the only one of her's that I have got) , as I have been debating whether to get it or not ?

Her latest s her best, she has found her sound, sparser than previous albums. As I have said before the vinyl is very good.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Mmm . . . 'Bat for Lashes' is new to me, I have listened to some of her music over the past few weeks. Listening to her work first on Spotify, I wont invest in vinyl from modern artists before a preview.

Listen to 'Haunted Man' this evening with Hazel . . . frankly, left us both flat, lacking lustre, naked cover picture perhaps indicates the cold nature of the material on the album . . . compared to the first album I heard of hers; 'Two Suns' which is strong and musical, with shades of early Kat Bush? In fact one wonder, is there a paradox here, I dont think much of the latest Kate Bush either?

Before any one point the finger at Spotify, in my set up, it produced a very acceptable sound. In my humble opinion TT is still better, but thats simply our preference.

I will happily part with my cash on earlier Bat for Lashes, 'Haunted Man' is a step to far, the Spotify rendition is enough for me.

A purely personal opinion . . . CJSF

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
CJSF said:
Mmm . . . 'Bat for Lashes' is new to me, I have listened to some of her music over the past few weeks. Listening to her work first on Spotify, I wont invest in vinyl from modern artists before a preview.

Listen to 'Haunted Man' this evening with Hazel . . . frankly, left us both flat, lacking lustre, naked cover picture perhaps indicates the cold nature of the material on the album . . . compared to the first album I heard of hers; 'Two Suns' which is strong and musical, with shades of early Kat Bush? In fact one wonder, is there a paradox here, I dont think much of the latest Kate Bush either?

Before any one point the finger at Spotify, in my set up, it produced a very acceptable sound. In my humble opinion TT is still better, but thats simply our preference.

I will happily part with my cash on earlier Bat for Lashes, 'Haunted Man' is a step to far, the Spotify rendition is enough for me.

A purely personal opinion . . . CJSF

CJ ,

Your opinion is just as valid as Jimbofisher's , just different . I guess , like chosing HIFI , the only way to decide whose opinion is more accurate is to listen for one's self .

I shall make the effort to give the album as listen .

Thanks

Nick

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Everyone's opinion is valid and is really a rough guide anyway, a bit like buying your system - always use your own ears.

As for Spotify, I totally agree. I very rarely buy blind, I have enough 'mistakes' in my collection when have liked a song and bought the album. I use Spotify for this very purpose, trying out those albums that get good reviews and I can be seen in my local HMV most Mondays checking out the new releases iPhone. In hand and playlisting them to decide before I buy later in the week!

my vinyl purchases are for albums I really like.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Anyway...

Dropped into my local video shop that also carries some vinyl (takes part in Record Store Day as well), this afternoon and happened to chance upon parts 3-7 of Bjork's Biophilia remixes on 12", very limited numbers, didn't have the first two sadly but was only charging 3 quid each so can't grumble.

What do they sound like? I don't know, I'm not going to open them! Crazy talk...

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Anyway...

Dropped into my local video shop that also carries some vinyl (takes part in Record Store Day as well), this afternoon and happened to chance upon parts 3-7 of Bjork's Biophilia remixes on 12", very limited numbers, didn't have the first two sadly but was only charging 3 quid each so can't grumble.

What do they sound like? I don't know, I'm not going to open them! Crazy talk...

my bjork is virtually unopened. Mrs C doesn't let me play them :-(.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Beatles Stereo Box Set

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beatles-Stereo-Vinyl-Boxed-VINYL/dp/B0041KVW2K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352798551&sr=8-1

I suppose this is relevant to the new vinyl section - even though they are reissues?

Just received the Stereo Beatles remasters yesterday - the Box Set. Ok £300 is a lot to spend on any individual vinyl purchase, but this is 14 individaul albums, all remastered at Abbey Road, plus an impressive hardback book, all in one place in a very elegant black box. Even the outer packing box has a certain style, and shows that there has been love and care lavished on this project.

I've only played one side of Sgt Pepper, but so far it's so worth the investment ( yes, I've justified this by knowing that I can pass it on to the next generation - honestly! cos vinyl will still be around, and grandad will be thanked hugely).

Sound quality is fabulous - all the instruments come out, the bass line is particularly clear. I think I'm going to be spending a few weeknights and weekends in awe. I've posted a few pics elsewhere, but here's a few of them just in case

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Anyway...

Part 8 was released yesterday, so I've asked the same shop to order it in, he's also still able to get parts 1 and 2, so I'll be able to complete the collection, which is nice. They won't be 3 quid though...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
Beatles Stereo Box Set

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beatles-Stereo-Vinyl-Boxed-VINYL/dp/B0041KVW2K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352798551&sr=8-1

I suppose this is relevant to the new vinyl section - even though they are reissues?

Just received the Stereo Beatles remasters yesterday - the Box Set. Ok £300 is a lot to spend on any individual vinyl purchase, but this is 14 individaul albums, all remastered at Abbey Road, plus an impressive hardback book, all in one place in a very elegant black box. Even the outer packing box has a certain style, and shows that there has been love and care lavished on this project.

I've only played one side of Sgt Pepper, but so far it's so worth the investment ( yes, I've justified this by knowing that I can pass it on to the next generation - honestly! cos vinyl will still be around, and grandad will be thanked hugely).

Sound quality is fabulous - all the instruments come out, the bass line is particularly clear. I think I'm going to be spending a few weeknights and weekends in awe. I've posted a few pics elsewhere, but here's a few of them just in case

Stop trying to tempt me! Trying not to buy and you're not helping :)

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
not to everyones taste but I was considering buying Dream Theaters " Dramatic Turn Of events" on vinyl. It's expensive so does anyone own it?

Anybody got Beth Hart's latest (Bang Bang Boom Boom) on the Provogue label?

Excellent stuff except for a weird mistracking / warped type sound that only occurs on track 1 side A.

The LP itself looks perfectly flat and OK visually.

Do not know if it is a deliberate part of the recording or my copy is duff.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts