Praise & shame - rate your new vinyl here

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I'm new on the forum and have been reading with interest the 'rate your new vinyl' thread. If this has been covered a hundred time before then I apologise, but I was after some tips about places or websites where you guys are buying all of these great LPs from? I always used to buy on vinyl in the '80s and early '90s, until CDs took over. I've kept the vinyl collection going with second hand purchases from shops, car boots and ebay, but I'd now like to get back into buying new vinyl. I'm not sure where to start looking though? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I'm new on the forum and have been reading with interest the 'rate your new vinyl' thread. If this has been covered a hundred time before then I apologise, but I was after some tips about places or websites where you guys are buying all of these great LPs from? I always used to buy on vinyl in the '80s and early '90s, until CDs took over. I've kept the vinyl collection going with second hand purchases from shops, car boots and ebay, but I'd now like to get back into buying new vinyl. I'm not sure where to start looking though? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Really depends what new vinyl you are after...

Amazon is great for new releases but watch out for the price they are charging - you may get better from one of these other sources, especially if the new release has been out for a while. Prices seem to go up, not down :)

www.diversevinyl.com is great for reissued/remastered and audiophile stuff (from labels like Mobile Fidelity). and they sometimes have a stand at the hifi shows.

You can also try (all excellent) :

http://www.backtoblackvinyl.com/

http://www.classiclps.co.uk

For rarer american and audiophile stuff, or if you want to ship a bunch in one go, or have a US mailing address, go for...

www.acousticsounds.com

Happy hunting!!!

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi there and welcome!

I tend to get a fair amount of vinyls from Juno.com and What Records but you can find some rare stuff at Normans records. You've mentioned eBay which I have found hit and miss with playback quality recently.

Happy shopping!

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I'm lucky that I have a few actual record shops on my doorstep in Leeds. Particularly useful as I'm trying to lessen my use of Amazon.

Jumbo is my favourite and has a large range of vinyl in store. Crash Records is also excellent and although they have less vinyl in stock than Jumbo they can get hold of difficult to find albums at decent prices. Both stores have really helpful and knowledgable staff.

There are also a couple of excellent second hand stores. Not sure of the current name but its just opposite The Grand Theatre, off the Headrow, Leeds.

Online, I agree that Diverse Vinyl is good. Also a nod to Sugarbush Records who seem to have a fantastic array of 60's, 70's and 80's vinyl.

Oh yes, and forgot to mention What Records, as noted above, they've been very good in terms of quality of service.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Have bought number of discs recently. Some very good ones. These are all thoroughly recommended.

Kraftwerk. Both Autobahn and Radio Aktivtat. These are the German versions, on 180g and come complete with booklet. Sound superb.

James Blake- James Blake. 180g double album. Window rattling bass.

The Doors – LA Woman. On Rhino. Fantastic cut, hearing bits on it I certainly don’t remember, all instruments very clear.

Bobby Womack – Bravest Man. Great album, great production.

Devendra Banhart – What Will be. Love this album and this is better than the cd. Double 180g, gatefold. So many styles but all great.

Have also bough the Foals – Holy Fire deluxe edition, although very well done with coloured 180g, gatefold sleeve containing a dvd and demo cd somehow the vinyl never quite makes it, cd version better.

Diverse Vinyl feeding my addiction

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
The new My Bloody Valentine album - mbv - arrived yesterday. Beautiful gatefold sleeve LP with the CD in a slit in the inside cover.

However, as I got in quite late and My Bloody Valentine can only be played LOUD, I can't vouch for the music or the pressing yet. I'll report back.

Great to have mbv back, transports me back to being a student 20 years ago!!

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
The new My Bloody Valentine album - mbv - arrived yesterday. Beautiful gatefold sleeve LP with the CD in a slit in the inside cover.

However, as I got in quite late and My Bloody Valentine can only be played LOUD, I can't vouch for the music or the pressing yet. I'll report back.

Great to have mbv back, transports me back to being a student 20 years ago!!

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the delay in reviewing but I've been a little busy. Anyhow, I spent the Easter weekend listening to a lot of music (too cold to do anything else really) and listened to the new My Bloody Valentine album, mbv, several times. To say that 20 years disappeared at the drop of a tonearm is an understatement! This could have been recorded a week after Loveless. However, let me qualify by saying that this is in no way a criticism. It's fantastic to have MBV's massive wall of sound back in my life and I will be listening to this for quite some time I would imagine. Great pressing, very clean and excellent presentation and packaging as well. If you were a student 20 years ago and fondly remember "dancing" to MBV down the student union, then get yourself a copy as you will not be disappointed.

Next up will be David Bowie's The Next Day. I've been listening to this on Spotify since it's release and am eagerly awaiting my trip to Sister Ray on Saturday to pick up a vinyl copy.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Managed to pick up the Joe Bonamassa double vinyl LP of the Vienna Opera House Acoustic set, from FNAC in France (€17).

First thoughts of the packaging are that it is a well-presented set.

However...no download voucher and then the playing quality - awful !!!!

Side A - major crackling during track one, not resolved by antistatic brush clean.(the exstatic one).

Side C - track two - crackling again.

I don't generally have static, and this was not resolved on repeat plays.

Does anyone else have this album, with same problems, or do I have a duffer?

I would say, although I do not have this on vinyl, that you have a duffer.

Also I have just had the pleasure of listening to Neil Young 'Massey Hall 1971' on Reprise label and part of his Archive Performance Series.

It has to be one of the best live recordings I have ever heard with absolutely quiet background between tracks and no surface noise at all. Certainly it urged me to crank it up a little further than my normal listening levels. :)

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
After a delay caused by the Rega P3 going away for a service, new cartridge (Elys2), belt and set up, I sat down at the weekend for a listen to two new vinyl purchases.

- David Bowie - The Next Day

- John Grant - Pale Green Ghosts

Both albums are lovely presentations across two LPs in gatefold sleeves with accompanying CDs for ripping. They also both sound great with absolutely minimal background noise and great recordings/pressings. The John Grant album is also presented in beautiful pale green vinyl, which looks great spinning on the Rega.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Another bad experience! Just received my copy of the new Dawes album - "Stories Don't End" from amazon.

Side A and Side C - needle wouldn't even get to the playing groove - a big run-in area but my needle just slid off the record. Unless I managed to place the needle exactly where the playing started, it would head west.

Plus the first disc was markedly warped.

Side A also had a trianglar scratch mark, straight out of the sealed package, and another hairline scratch

Otherwise, a great sounding record (in terms of the music). It's now heading back to amazon. Anyone else had any quality issues with this release, as I want to get a replacement?

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
The new album by Van **** Parks. "Songs Cycled". Double LP with CD included. A relative bargain at £13.98 from amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SONGS-CYCLED-VINYL-****-Parks/dp/B00C4B1ZN4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367955031&sr=8-1&keywords=van+****+parks+vinyl

Very interesting music, but my copy tainted by serious distortion/crackling on the right channel. Was it my stylus etc? Switched to a copy of Tea for the Tillerman on AP - nope, my system is all fine.

I have had experience of a new vinyl being poor on first play, then improving, so I'll give it a few plays to see if it does.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Depeche Mode - Delta Machine sounds fantastic!

Just pre-ordered Daft Punk - Random Access Memories on 2 x 180g so looking forward to that!

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I've already posted this in the "What vinyl are you listening to thread?", so apologies if you've already seen it there, but thought I'd add it to this thread also as it is as relevant.

Like many others, I've been listening to Random Access Memories by Daft Punk. Beautifully recorded, great pressing that has zero pops & clicks straight out of the sleeve, lovely packaging and most important of all, the music is just fantastic. I knew it was good as I'd listened to it several times on Spotify last week, but the vinyl release just sounds so good.

Vying for my vinyl release of the year so far with Pale Green Ghosts by John Grant.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Marvindodgers said:
I've already posted this in the "What vinyl are you listening to thread?", so apologies if you've already seen it there, but thought I'd add it to this thread also as it is as relevant.

Like many others, I've been listening to Random Access Memories by Daft Punk. Beautifully recorded, great pressing that has zero pops & clicks straight out of the sleeve, lovely packaging and most important of all, the music is just fantastic. I knew it was good as I'd listened to it several times on Spotify last week, but the vinyl release just sounds so good.

Vying for my vinyl release of the year so far with Pale Green Ghosts by John Grant.

+1

Totally agree........

Got my Boards of Canada on pre order too 20th June

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Haven't bought much new vinyl recently, but was tempted to get the London Grammar "If You Wait".

Only released on 9th September and already favourites to win the Mercury Music Prize. So took a punt as was only £16.74 from amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/You-Wait-VINYL-London-Grammar/dp/B00E40I39C/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1379238749&sr=1-1&keywords=london+grammar

Double 45rpm album with download voucher.
Great recording, no crackles etc.
Very pleasant, hauntingly clear vocals with some very bassy moments.

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Steve Hackett - Genesis Revisited II

Zero pops & clicks straight from the sleeve. I wish all new vinyl sounded as good as this.

it's expensive, but it's a beautifully packaged four 180g LP plus two CD set. They even re sequenced the running order to best fit the vinyl.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm resurrecting this old thread to ask whether anyone else here has a copy of the US pressing of Hvarf/Heim by Sigur Rós on XL Recordings (the repress from last year on black vinyl). This one (click the image):

http://www.discogs.com/Sigur-Rós-Hvarf-Heim/release/4624877

I bought a copy of this at the weekend. Unfortunately, apart from a few scratches on side 1, there's what appears to be a pressing fault on side 2: there is a low 'ba-dum' rumble on every rotation, and there's a variation in pitch and volume of the sustained string notes reminiscent of the 'flutter' that you used to get on stretched audio tapes. I've compared this with the CD copy and there is a definitely drop in sound quality - on the CD, although slightly tremulous (which is inevitable when playing quiet, sustained notes on strings), the notes are definitely clearer and more consistent in tone.

I'd love to hear from anyone who owns or has heard a copy of this pressing, to give me an idea of whether if I ask for a replacement I'm likely to get a decent copy, or whether, as I suspect, all copies are likely to have this fault and I should cut my losses, get a refund and try to get hold of the (limited) UK pressing.

On a side-note, what has been everyone's experience of recent US pressings? I've had troubles with a lot of the ones I've bought in the past couple of years, since I started buying new vinyl again. In fact, most of them have either contained clicks and pops, had a 'wash' of pressing release agent across them that distorted the sound, been warped or had a combination of these and other faults. There have been problems with some UK/EU pressings (particularly when the pressings are on clear or coloured vinyl), but nowhere near as often as with US pressings. Is this a known, general problem, or have I just been really unlucky?

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Tame Impala - Innerspeaker, Double LP, 33rpm

I'm not sure if it's the vinyl but it sounds like I'm listening with cotton wool in my ears. Is this just how it was recorded, or is the pressing duff?

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I thought it would be worth bumping this thread to give an honourable mention to the new reissue of Mezzanine by Massive Attack - amazing depth of sound, and detail I've never heard on the CD copy. OK, I've just upgraded my stylus, but even so this sounds better than I expected.

On the other hand, I've just got a fourth copy of Joanna Newsom's Have One On Me, having waited a couple of years to make sure the previous batch had sold out and a fresh pressing was available, and once again it's scratched. Also the copy of Real Gone by Tom Waits is warped, as was the copy of The Mule Variations I bought a few years ago, and in fact many of the American pressings I've bought. I've had so many problems with American pressings over the past few years - has anyone else?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts