Praise & shame - rate your new vinyl here

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
A few LPs I have just acquired and listened to...good music and good LP quality:

IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0656.JPG
IMG_0657.JPG

IMG_0658.JPG

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Today has been a nice lazy Sunday catching up with my recent vinyl purchases. A very nice day it has been too, in my favourite chair, sharing a bottle of very nice Bordeaux and my vinyl with my wife.

Django Django by Django Dyango. Great album, already had cd but love the use of instruments and sampling, very similar to Beta Band ( one of DD is brother of a BB). Gatefold sleeve, double album, heavy gauge vinyl, plus cd.

Broadside by Bellowhead. Enjoyable album, well produced, different instruments all very clear, nice warm sound. Includes cd.

Barton Hollow by The Civil Wars. Love the album and hope the rumours of a break up aren't true. Beautiful voices and sparse instrumentation, really works on vinyl.

Pro Patria Mori by Ian McCulloch. Very much a fans purchase, he being lead singer of Echo & the Bunnymen. Nice album, not special. As an aside, album made through Pledge Music, a website where groups etc get fans to pledge to buy CDs, vinyl at normal prices so the artist can raise the funds needed to make the album, can also pledge on things as diverse as the guitar used or have even heard of a special gig in the fans home!

Kind of Blue by Miles Davis. Music on Vinyl edition, 180g double LP gatefold sleeve. Lovely pressing, washes over you.

The Abbey Road Sessions by Kylie Minogue. Surprising but a guilty pleasure of mine. Is actually very good, very different, Can't Gt You Out of my Head with a string section is very good. 180g double LP, gatefold sleeve, booklet. Even my wife commented on how good it sounds and she is usually jealous towards her!

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
DIana Krall "Glad Rag Doll". Double vinyl album but no CD or download voucher.

Excellent music and well-delivered. Great Sunday morning listening.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Alears said:
Anybody got Beth Hart's latest (Bang Bang Boom Boom) on the Provogue label?

Excellent stuff except for a weird mistracking / warped type sound that only occurs on track 1 side A.

The LP itself looks perfectly flat and OK visually.

Do not know if it is a deliberate part of the recording or my copy is duff.

See how my finger is on the pulse here ?,lol. Yip I've got it Al. Only spunned it once and tbh I didnt notice owt untoward, except overall to me its a little bright. Just for thee I will give it another spin and report back.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Sounds ok to me Al. Have to say that its not the best of pressings now I've listened to it without interruptions. I'm wondering if its Beths overdubbed vocal thats sounds like she is singing through a wet T bag that has caught your attention ?.

Check out the 'live ' version of Baddest Blues on youtube , phew !! :grin:

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
My favourite vinyl is from Radiohead-the best of. Great sound quality, stunning artwork and in my opinion they have actually selected the best, nothing good I can think of has been left out. For 25 pounds its a great deal.

My least favourite vinyl is Kings of Leon Only By Night, infact this is worse than the cd! Horrible horrible sound quality, the mixing engineers must have been of duty. "Use Somebody" is such a great song but ruined ruined ruined by the horrible drum recording.

A

Anonymous

Donald Fagon – Sunken Condos on top form yet again with an excellent production to match on this three sided LP

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I've had bad luck with the new remastered Sgt.Pepper. Side two, scratched and cracking all the way through. Returned to the shop (Leeds' joint finest, Jumbo), and the replacement copy was similarly afflicted. Third time lucky.

Abbey Road was fine, but I've got to say I preferred the 2009 remastered CD version on this occasion. Then, out of interest, I compared the new vinyl version to the copy in the "Blue Box" (1978). The latter was pretty good too.

That's been my only recent-ish vinyl as I've been giving my new NAD DAC lots of listening.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
Beatles Stereo Box Set

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beatles-Stereo-Vinyl-Boxed-VINYL/dp/B0041KVW2K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352798551&sr=8-1

I suppose this is relevant to the new vinyl section - even though they are reissues?

Just received the Stereo Beatles remasters yesterday - the Box Set. Ok £300 is a lot to spend on any individual vinyl purchase, but this is 14 individaul albums, all remastered at Abbey Road, plus an impressive hardback book, all in one place in a very elegant black box. Even the outer packing box has a certain style, and shows that there has been love and care lavished on this project.

I've only played one side of Sgt Pepper, but so far it's so worth the investment ( yes, I've justified this by knowing that I can pass it on to the next generation - honestly! cos vinyl will still be around, and grandad will be thanked hugely).

Sound quality is fabulous - all the instruments come out, the bass line is particularly clear. I think I'm going to be spending a few weeknights and weekends in awe. I've posted a few pics elsewhere, but here's a few of them just in case

Wow, this is great. Very tempting deal indeed, hopefully they will ship to Belgium? :D

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:

Was almost ready to buy yesterday, it is a good quality recording? Thanks for that

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
acalex said:
DandyCobalt said:

Was almost ready to buy yesterday, it is a good quality recording? Thanks for that

[/quote

Very good!

Cool, thanks for that, I guess I will be buying it next week with the double LP of Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I had Diana Krall, 'the best of' drop throught the letter box yesterday, excelent double album, I have been sampling her work on Spotify for a while, the vinyl is so much better . . .

CJSF

floyd droid said:
Sounds ok to me Al. Have to say that its not the best of pressings now I've listened to it without interruptions. I'm wondering if its Beths overdubbed vocal thats sounds like she is singing through a wet T bag that has caught your attention ?.

Check out the 'live ' version of Baddest Blues on youtube , phew !! :grin:

Dunno about fingers on the pulse I had forgotten I had posted here. Thanks for reply though floyd droid.

I have recently listened to it again and what I heard initially is now gone....very strange!

Vocals on some tracks are a tad sad I have to admit but overall I'm very happy with this LP.

Will be sure to checkout Youtube.

Cheers again..... and a Merry Xmas to you.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I posted about the 'Tacet' label a while back, all valve recording techniques etc. Orderd a couple . . . one was a bit 'samo-samo' to me, the other was better but the pressing quality a bit clicks and pops, rather analitical with no feeling? I contacted them about it, they emailed back defending their sound quality and sugesting one must expect a few clicks and pops, at £35.00 a go on new vinyl!!!
smiley-surprised.gif
. . . no offer of a replacement, money back etc. I had to put my foot down to get a new copy, that they say is on its way?

Not my recomendation for spending your Christmas money form Aunti Mary.

A personal opinion of course, CJSF

CJSF said:
I posted about the 'Tacet' label a while back, all valve recording techniques etc. Orderd a couple . . . one was a bit 'samo-samo' to me, the other was better but the pressing quality a bit clicks and pops, rather analitical with no feeling? I contacted them about it, they emailed back defending their sound quality and sugesting one must expect a few clicks and pops, at £35.00 a go on new vinyl!!!
smiley-surprised.gif
. . . no offer of a replacement, money back etc. I had to put my foot down to get a new copy, that they say is on its way?

Not my recomendation for spending your Christmas money form Aunti Mary.

A personal opinion of course, CJSF

'Struth CJSF for that sort of money I would have expected something of Coup d'Archet quality.

Well worth a look if you're into the odd bit of classical ...... and I do mean the odd bit!

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I put a post re the Tacet label LPs I was not happy with. They sent me a replacement which I received today . . . It is like chalk and cheese, so much better, I have played it through on the offending side, excelent. I am now listening to the the other side as I type with speakers either side of me like big ear phones, very good, most enjoyable.

So they have redeemed themselves, lets hope it does not happen again . . . if it does, thats 'sods law', they know how to deal with the customer.

CJSF

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
A nice Sunday listening to my vinyl that arrived this week.

New Order - Lost Siren

New Order - Technique

Alabama Shakes - Boys & Girls

King Crimson - In The Court of The crimson King

Block Party - Four

Bobby Womack - Bravest Man In The Universe

all very good and recommended

A

Anonymous

Received my vinyl copy of Nu Sound & Version, some On-U Sound remixes of Lee Scratch Perry tracks, a few weeks ago. I had ordered it a year ago when the CD was released - don't know why it took them so long to release the vinyl. Anyway, it was worth it - really clear sound, great deep bass. The tracks are a mixed bag, from some absolute gems from the Moody Boys to a very lackluster mix of Iron Man. Well worth a listen, though, overall.

I've just discovered that one of my favourite artists, Serafina Steer, released a new album last week, and even better, it's available on vinyl. For those who don't know her, she plays the harp and tells quirky little stories in song - but no, she's not like Joanna Newsom except in the most superficial sense. Apparently her last album caught the ear of Jarvis Cocker, and he's produced this album, can't wait to hear it, hopefully it'll arrive this week. I also bought the two most recent Burial EPs because Norman Records had them at a reasonable price - thanks to whoever mentioned Norman earlier on this thread, I've bought from them before but had forgotten about them.

Will let you know how the new vinyl sounds when I receive it.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Three new albums

Jonsi - Go. Excellent album, vinyl pressing really good. He is lead singer of Sigur Ros, similar but more instruments. Listening to album transports me back to seeing him live, a truely uplifting show.

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme. This is the single album but gatefold sleave. Nice heavyweight vinyl and really let's the music flow. Beautiful.

Finally I also have Lux by Brian Eno, not listened to yet as not the wife's cup of tea so will need to wait until she is not around next weekend.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Two new albums this week for me...

Matthew E White - great reviews in the music magazines and I wasn't disappointed.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Inner-VINYL-Matthew-White/dp/B00ALG4IYW/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1360665101&sr=1-1

180g vinyl and mp3 download. Really nice listen.

Then, Lord Huron "Lonesome Dreams"

Again a very enjoyable record, mine was very slightly warped but doesn't seem to affect the music. (EDIT: Does have a download voucher - it was stuck inside the sleeve).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lonesome-Dreams-VINYL-Lord-Huron/dp/B009XL5N5O/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1360665461&sr=1-1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts