Praise & shame - rate your new vinyl here

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Seems to have been a busy day today . . . finally got around to a cupa and some vinyl therapy. Found two old records that had not seen the light of day since the 80's. A copy of Lonnie Donegan's 'Putting on the Style' . . . I remember the exact circumstances when I bought it, petrol station purchase, after work, I was doing a bit of moonlighting selling caravans, late 70's. The second album, Steve Gibbons Band 'On The Loose', bought this at the Bristol HiFi show, circa 1987? The Gibbons Band was the entertainment at the Saturday night exhibitors party.

Lonnie Donegans album has had very little play . . . I dont know why? It made me tingle, sophisticated skiffle is the best description, a sound that was presented as although it was a live performance, almost a wall of sound, capturing the energy of the performance, superbly recorded upright piano. I sorted Steve Gibbons out because of the live energy from Lonnie Donigan. Gibbons is pure rock, a live recording that is truly magical. A super musical base line that underpins the songs, again, a wall of sound. Neither are hifi in the left, right, middle sense, although depth is portrayed very well.

700DonniganGibbonsrw.jpg

Great music, that I have missed out on over the years, a little raw at the edges but the sence of reality is so strong, they will be played more often in future.

CJSF

mickeyjoef

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
£17.99 does sound a bit steep. I bought Barton Hollow from my local shop, and I think it was £15.00. It also came with a download voucher. No complaints about my pressing, so maybe you were unlucky.

A

Anonymous

Bonnie "Prince" Billy: I See A Darkness

Bonnie+Prince+Billy+-+I+See+A+Darkness.jpg

Ordered this from Norman Records - who were excellent, BTW.

Bonnie "Prince" Billy's voice is so pretty, his melodies are subtle and lilting, and the accompaniments are minimilist. But the music is great, with tons of poetry (musically and lyrically). He's one of my favourite newly discovered artists.

The record in general sounds very good. There's some siblance in places on his vocals - especially at the start of side 1 and the end of side 2. But apart from that the sound is clear and very natural. The vinyl itself is a decent cut, not sure if it's 180g but it's certainly not flimsy. This is probably my favourite record right now.

4/5 (due to the quality in the vocals (mostly slight siblance)).

A

Anonymous

Bon Iver, Bon Iver

220px-Bon_iver.jpg

A fantastic sounding record. The production is really polished on this one, comes complete with a digital download which also sounds pretty decent. I did a comparison between the digital download (320 kbps) with my mac book air plugged in to my amp. The download sounds good, but much more "aggressive" than the vinyl, which sounds brighter and clearer.

5/5.

A

Anonymous

Radiohead: King of Limbs.

The first thing you notice about this record is that when you put it on it sounds very tight and loud. Don't mistake this for compression because it certainly isn't, it's just the superb mastering from Radiohead. This is probably my best sounding LP. Theres nothing to fault here.

Musically it's not as strong as In Rainbows, but it's still excellent nonetheless.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
7145453717_eb3ccc5660_m.jpg

King Creosote and John Hopkins - The Jubilee E.P comes with a download for the whole album which is an added bonus

RSD purchase which I've finally got to listen to properly, nicely atmospheric and a real grower.

6326034437_4496896a93_m.jpg

KT Tunstall - The Scarlet Tulip E.P

Love this one.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
(Already posted in what I'm listening to, but as this is a new release, this is might be useful to others.)

Just got my vinyl copy of the new George Harrison "Early Takes 1"

All demos or early takes from the cupboards of the Harrison household, mastered at Abbey Road.

I highly recommend this album ! Fabulous sound quality, and great songs, refound when Martin Scorcese did his Harrison biog. I prefer some to the final versions released at the time.

(no download voucher).

mickeyjoef

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
I must get that new Harrison LP. I do have the CD, bought because the shop only had that, and I wanted it there and then!

The last LP I bought is The Rival Sons "Pressure & Time". Much punchier than the already decent sounding CD, and a nice flat quiet pressing.

A

Anonymous

Foo Fighters Wasting Light on 180g. So much better than the CD. Amazingly my local HMV are having a trial period of selling vinyl!!

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Well it aint new . . . but its new to me, a couple of quid from Oxfam on Monday, I bought 3 records but this is the best by a mile.

In fact its the find of the year for me . . . especially as, if I had noticed it was a K-tel record, I'd have put it back. Its the recording technique, Williams guitar is treated as the 'fronting vocal', then the various backings have been well engineered to compliment, little compression is evident on this 1979 recording, making it so transparent. The fingering of both left and right hand is quite obvious, with the timbre of the instruments beautifully captured, I listened to both sides in one sitting, unusual for me.

The best way I can sum this record up; it is the most analogue sounding record I own . . . that is 'analogue sounding' in the nicest possible way, how good recodings used to sound. I have many superb audiophile records, however this humble K-tel offering has a window into its inner character that is beguiling to say the least?

700JWGuitarrecordcoverrw.jpg

CJSF

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
New Alabama Shakes and new Dr John albums just arrived - both have either free CD or download included, but not yet unwrapped.

Will have first listen and review tonight.

Anyone going to see Dr John at "Under the Bridge" next month?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Keep the reviews coming :)

I've got the new Melody Gardot and Rumer albums on their way, plus the 180g 25th anniversary edition of Paul Simon's Graceland - will report back on all those once they've arrived...

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
New Neil Young "Americana" also ordered, but amyzon just told me that it will be delayed till mid-July.

Is there a similar thread for "blu-ray audio"? I'd put my Tom Petty's (Mojo/Damn the Torpedoes) etc up on that one.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Dr John "Locked Down" - excellent quality recording and CD copy also included. I'm already smitten with this record. It has a really swampy gutteral feel and tone.(if you like this sort of thing). Great guitar sounds as well as Dr J on piano.

Produced by Dan Auerbach from the Black Keys, who also plays guitar on the record.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Current faves that I have bought:

Foals - Total Life Forever. A good album but sounds a bit 'weak', not as punchy as it should.

Cowboy junkies - The Wilderness. Great 180g pressing, as always with the CJs great atmosphere and really shows Margo's voice.

Wild Beasts - Two Dancers. Another 180g pressing and excellent.

David Byrne - the Catherine Wheel. Second-hand buy, excellent quality, great soundstage.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
New Neil Young "Americana" also ordered, but amyzon just told me that it will be delayed till mid-July.

Is there a similar thread for "blu-ray audio"? I'd put my Tom Petty's (Mojo/Damn the Torpedoes) etc up on that one.

I'm currently listening to the FLAC version of Americana and it sounds superb. I'm looking forward to reports of the vinyl and Blu-ray versions when they're released next month. Might order one or the other when I've given the album a few listens.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Just listened to my new copy of "Nothing is Wrong" by Dawes (produced by Jonathan Wilson - an analogue fanatic).

Superb recording ( 45rpm double-disc ) plus free CD included inside.

The music (Laural Canyon west coast stuff that will chill you out), is excellent, and there are many moments when you look up from the magazine or iPad, and go "ooh, that sounded gooood". For example, the kick drum in "So Well" makes your eardrums smile (or whatever they do when they hear sounds like this).

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Listening to "Tramp" by Sharon van Etten and it sounds pretty fine. Download included.

Sounds like a sophisticated Lana del Rey, at half the price ;-).

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
"Bloom" by Beach House - very good (if you like Dreamy pop) but rather forgettable tunewise - fine as mood music.

However, as vinyl it is well-recorded, and comes as a 2-disc 45rpm set, with download voucher. Well done, Beach House!

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
Been getting into the latest Jessica Lauren Four LP recently.

Very nice. Very nice indeed! 8)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jessica-Lauren-Four-VINYL/dp/B0077QDZW0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1343759156&sr=8-4

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Popped onto Spotify to have a listen . . . Hazel summed it up, 'no variety' . . . as you say Paul, very nice, I liked 'White Mountain' great plucked base. But for me, the style of presentation repeated. I got to track 5, enough. Personal view, a nice album to ‘dip into’ as part of my 'chill' play list on Spotify.

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS