Pmc pricing...appropriate?

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Where I live a pmc db1i sells for right at 2 1/2 times what the similarly sized atc scm7. The ob1i is also more than twice the price of the atc scm40. One has to wonder why such a disparity? obviously entirely different manufacturers, but they do have a lot of similarities and compete in the same markets... Thoughts?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The OB1's are about twice the price of the SCM40's (depending on the finish of the ATC's) here in the UK, and roughly the same applies to the DB1i's and SCM7's. The PMC cabinets are made in the UK, whereas the ATC ones are made in the far east - there's obviously a large financial benefit for this otherwise ATC wouldn't do it, so this might account for much of the difference.

How well do the SCM7's compare to the DB1i's? How different are the SCM300's and the BB5 XBD's? It doesn't really matter. They both do what they do and both will be liked by some and disliked by others, both audibly and visually.

There are similar sized speakers out there with several thousand pounds difference between their price tag - some may sound a little similar, but most will sound quite different. Some will choose a speaker purely on it's sound quality and compatibility with their existing system, some will buy into the technology and design behind it, and some will buy on price. Who will be the happiest? All of them and none of them.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't have thought there's a lot of people who buy 'purely' on sound quality, you'd have to be on footballer wages not to take price into account at all. And to say 'all of them and none of them' will be happiest sounds like gibberish to me. If price were no object I suspect I'd walk out of the dealer with speakers that made me very happy.

It obviously is right to say that each speaker (each product of any description really) is suitable for an individual if they rate the performance given the price they have to pay for it. As for the specific question, IMO ATC represent superb VFM. One of the main reasons may be that ATC are essentially a 'pro' business, making their money from studios, concert halls and custom installs. Reputedly, they have comparatively narrow profit margins on their domestic products, to the advantage of the consumer.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I've got to say at the start that I am very biased towards PMC speakers I just love them !

I have not heard any other speakers at any price point that will give me what I need, which is the ability to create the illusion of real people playing real music in my room with lifelike dynamics and most of all proper natural deep bass , and for me PMC speakers just do all of that very very well with all types of music.

I am sure some people with say similar things about ATC speakers , but good though they are they are not for me . If you listen to a ATC SCM7 then the PMC DB1i it is very easy to hear why the PMC is more expensive IMHO .

I agree that the recent price rises from PMC do seem a little steep and may make a lot of people think twice about buying them but I guess you have to weigh up in your mind if the superb performance is worth the outlay. In my case it is , but each person must decide for themselves based on what they really want from a loudspeaker .

There would be no point in me saving some money and buying a pair of speakers that disappointed me in some way .

You pay your money and take your choice :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I wouldn't have thought there's a lot of people who buy 'purely' on sound quality, you'd have to be on footballer wages not to take price into account at all.
Some people just want to get their choice right, at whatever cost.

And to say 'all of them and none of them' will be happiest sounds like gibberish to me.
Far from it, it's just your usual negativity towards me. Let me explain:

Anyone who buys a pair of speakers, for whatever reason (looks/performance/price etc) will always be happy. Even those who buy purely on price, ignoring system matching and room matching will be happy, because he picked them up for half price, and they sound better than what he had before, even if they're far from achieving what they're capable of. And no one's ever happy. No one would upgrade if they were happy.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
The PMC cabinets are made in the UK, whereas the ATC ones are made in the far east - there's obviously a large financial benefit for this otherwise ATC wouldn't do it, so this might account for much of the difference.

It is important to me that PMC speakers are built in the UK and I have no problem paying a premium for it but I doubt it makes any difference to the sound quality of either brand , makes me feel good though :)

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
And no one's ever happy. No one would upgrade if they were happy.

Disagree. Happiness is not binary. Even though people talk about it like that, it's not a thing that you either have or don't have. Happiness is measured in degrees. And since this is true, there's always room to bump it up a notch. That is why people upgrade.

A

Anonymous

I think the point is that different people have difference priorities and what is important to them...some will want best SQ irrespective of looks size etc, others are into the technology, or aesthetics, or UIK built etc, most will want a balance. To that extent, everyone will be happy "enough" with their purchase based on their priorities, but no one will ever be 100% happy as there is always room for improvement. Speaker choice is such a personal thing, each to their own, live and let live :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts