Philips 9664 problem!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Just an update on what the tech support at Philips told me to do earlier.

I unplugged the tv for 2 hours......................then plugged it back in..............................still the same !

I'm still reeling from shock.

P.S. to fruitboy even though i have this issue when watching football on the philips a lot of the problem is knowing there's a problem, what i mean by that is if you follow the ball as you normally would when watching, you notice nothing. But i had read of the problem so i was looking for it. Funny thing is i love the TV, it looks amazing, the HD picture and alot of SD pictures are amazing and the biggest thing i found about the set is something What HiFi said in their review which at the time i didn't understand but watching Mission to Mars on sky SD picture there was a 3D quality to the image i have never seen on an LCD before.

fruityboy

Nov 2, 2007
Visit site
thanks for your reply greymack yep i know what your saying about the picture and the detail i took my ps3 into the store and compared the philips to the sony w5500 which i thought of buying and the philips just blew the sony away with far more detail and better black levels

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
fruityboy:mmmm dont know what to do now had ordered the philips just waiting for them to come in but after reading about these probs im not sure i want one now dont want another sony after having 3 panels in less than six months in my 40w 4000 might get a panasonic 42g10 can anyone tell me if its worth paying the extra money for the 42 g15 please?

3 panels? what happened?

fruityboy

Nov 2, 2007
Visit site
the problem started after the tv being just 3 months old it developed a vertical rainbow coloured line right down the screen so it went away for a new panel and when it came back it developed the problem again with the line being in a different place this happened again for a third time until the tv was finaly right! all this in just a few months as soon as it came back i just wanted rid of it and sold it i wont be buying one ever again

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Right, we've now had an official reply to this thread from Philips. A company spokesman says:

"Firstly: A large number of the 9664 models have been sold and to date we are unaware of any issues with these sets.

Secondly: The 9664 is a top-end model and as such has a wide range of settings that can be made to match the viewers personal preferences - and some of the adjustments can have a large impact on the final picture.

Thirdly: Issues such as picture artifacts can be broadcaster dependent as there is large difference between the bit-rates used by individual broadcasters who can also experiment by varying the bit-rate levels within their own channels.

Fourthly: We haven't experienced any of the specific issues mentioned on the forum, but we will try and recreate the exact circumstances users are experiencing.

With regards to settings, we would ask readers to bear in mind that picture quality is also a question of personal taste - hence the large range of adjustments available on this sets.

It is worth pointing out that different settings can be assigned to each specific input, so that viewers can optimize the settings for each source. It is also worth assigning a product type to an input using the 'add devices' feature in the home menu.

As for Perfect Natural Motion, this is a motion compensation feature that interpolates and adds frames to low frame rate material - i.e. 24fps Blu-ray movies etc. As much of TV, and particularly sport, is shot at 50fps you can turn this feature off for Sky or Freeview.

With regards to sharpness, noise reduction, Mpeg artifact reduction, Colour enhancement: these are all features for improving issues withina picture, where the viewer isn't satisfied. So, if you're not experiencing poor sharpness, washed colours or noise in the picture,they can generally be set to minimum or switched off.

And if the viewer would like an easy way to judge the impact of the overall picture quality processing, they can quickly compare by setting it to the minimum level by selecting cinema mode from the smart settings menu."

A

Anonymous

Good job on getting such a swift reply from Philips Andy.

Trouble with their reply is it doesn't really answer the question that was asked, it could be the same email sent out if the question was why is everything stuttering on movie channels.

Personally i tinkered with every setting to no avail i have also watched the same game on 2 sources, eg last nights Rapid Vienna v Celtic on ITV 4 on both Sky and Freeview and the effect is pressent on both.

Describing the effect i think were all talking about is half the battle, to me it's as if someone had painted vertical stripes of clear gloss on the camera lens so when it's stationery you don't notice but when the camera pans left or right at speed you can clearly see vertical bars.

As i said in a previous post if you were unaware of it you might not notice because normally you follow the ball but if you just concentrate on an area of the pitch you will see it.......at least on my screen.

I also don't think it's got anything to do with perfect natural motion, i've tried this on off/minimum and maximum and it makes not a jot of difference to the effect i describe.

I even tried a different cable last night again no difference.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hate to say it Greymack, but that's the source (and the Sky and Freeview feeds are from the same source), not the TV - that's simply a large LCD struggling to cope with a low bit-rate feed of a complex picture; any flatscreen would suffer.

ITV4 is unbearably poor quality for most things, let alone a game feed from Europe. But even with a higher-quality feed, the MPEG encoding - especially as broadcasters chip away at bit-rates - can result in occasional blocking or smearing when rendering large areas of fast-moving colour (eg a football pitch).

Why not try as Philips suggest and pop into onto cinema mode to see if it's the settings that could still be worsening the issue?

A

Anonymous

Can you tell i'm a newbie Clare :)

I shall try Cinema mode over the weekend and see how it looks.

I have to be honest and say the only sources i have are SD because i spent so much on the TV the wife won't let me get the SKY HD bundle...............yet :)

However having viewed BBCHD, CH4HD and even Lux (who watches that) the HD does look amazing but unfortunatly they don't show footie on those channels so i'm stuck with SD for now but i'm sure the original poster stated he saw the same effect on both SD & HD.

A

Anonymous

Looking forward to getting rid of inferior sources. Although what about all this talk of BBC HD quality diving?

A

Anonymous

I'm very new to this hi end TV gadgetry! and bought the 42" from RS in Bournemouth a couple of days ago. HD content and Blue Ray performance is fantastic. SD however the sky hd is very poor, but as mentioned above is probably the source or the new EPG software!

I am trying to get the best picture for the three devices I have added to the home screen and notice from the above you can have different sources settings for the picture. I know there is smart picture and separate picture settings. Do you start with say standard on the smart picture and then go down to the picture menu to alter? If so will it remember it for each source?

Also any tips for getting a good picture from my xbox360 elite wth HDMI socket as fifa 10 does not look good. I have set the console settings to 1080p. It looks a bit pixelated even in game mode.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

j4mm3r

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
I watched match of the day to see if i could notice the issue and i wasnt really sure what i was looking for !! I'll have another look but wont follow the ball as suggested i'll look at the screen as a whole.

I think it would be good if philips do recreate the same situation as they said to see if they can come up with a definitive answer/solution for some of u who are seeing this issue, so lets see. Have u guys tried turning every picture enhancement off and going from there?

j4mm3r

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
SimL

What do you have your sky resolution output set to? try setting it to auto then your tv will upscale the picture rather than your sky box, or experiement and see what looks best.

You say your 360 looks pixelated at 1080p, ive not got 360 yet (perhaps someone else could advise), but when ive set my receiver to 1080p output for sky the picture looked a little pixelated, try setting it to 1080i see if it improves.

With regards to the bbc hd i think life looks amazing but other bbc hd programs dont appear much better than their sd counterpart, johnathan ross inparticular looks almost identical on my set up

A

Anonymous

Thanks j4mm3r

I have messed about with the sky box and have to say when i was watching the Spurs man city game on Sports 2HD the signs around the pitch looked clearer with the SKYHD box rather than the tv doing the upscaling . On my amstrad box the max i can set it to is 1080i not p like your receiver.

I must admit I got better SD pictures with my 32"LCD samsung than the phillips but i suppose that what you get with a bigger screen!

A

Anonymous

Bigger screen is going to make any poor broadcasts look even worse as stated before iw atched football on ITV4 and it was rubbish, really poor quality.

I had read that you should set your SkyHd box to auto to let the tv manage the upscaling but for me setting it at 1080i shows a much clearer picture, for example when you change the picture it says hit select and the screen will change and then you save settings, well that text looks distictly blurry when set to auto on my set up.

As for the settings, i followed the setup wizard when you first boot the TV then i used Andy's set up details and did little tweaks from there. Each source saves it's on settings for example i did all that for SkyHD then when i went to freeview i noticed that still had the default setup so i had to redo those as well. The free view set up looked a little duller than the sky set up using the same datails so again a few tweaks were required to get it looking how i wished.

P.S. One thing i was dissapointed with on the philips was the freeview menu, it's just a list of programs basically and there's no little tv screen in the corner showing you whats currently on which is what i'm used to having skyHD and having a sumsung lcd in the bedroom.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:

Hate to say it Greymack, but that's the source (and the Sky and Freeview feeds are from the same source), not the TV - that's simply a large LCD struggling to cope with a low bit-rate feed of a complex picture; any flatscreen would suffer.

Why not try as Philips suggest and pop into onto cinema mode to see if it's the settings that could still be worsening the issue?

I played Modern Warfare 2 on Xbox 360 last night in HD on the 9664 and I still noticed the issue! The reply from Philips is laughable...

A

Anonymous

To me it's more and more looking like it's just a bad batch and perhaps we should be returning our screens for a replacement?

A

Anonymous

greymack:To me it's more and more looking like it's just a bad batch and perhaps we should be returning our screens for a replacement?

That's my problem mate! I've just got off the phone from the retailer who is reluctant to replace or refund as Philips do not appear to see it as a problem... Argh!!

I am in a horrible situation whereby I have a TV in the living room that I just don't want to watch as I see the issue on 70% of programmes I watch or games I play.

A

Anonymous

I must admit i'm not seeing it on that many programmes, for me it's primerily sports but now you've put doubt in my head i'll probably start seeing it more and more :(

Surely you have a right to a replacement or a refund if your not happy with it.

A

Anonymous

greymack:

I must admit i'm not seeing it on that many programmes, for me it's primerily sports but now you've put doubt in my head i'll probably start seeing it more and more :(

Surely you have a right to a replacement or a refund if your not happy with it.

I would have hoped so but it's looking doubtful as nobody else seems to be able to see the issue... I just feel like I've walked out into the street and set fire to £1500... That's as much use as this TV is to me at present.

A

Anonymous

But doesn't the sale of goods act say they have to give you a refund even if there is nothing wrong with it, maybe thats for the 1st 30 days i'm not sure?

A

Anonymous

greymack:But doesn't the sale of goods act say they have to give you a refund even if there is nothing wrong with it, maybe thats for the 1st 30 days i'm not sure?

My last hope is to ask the salesman I've been dealing with (who has been extremely sympathetic to my issue I must say) to come to my house and see if he can see it under less sterile conditions than a shop. Saying that though, I could also see it on the shop display model...

A

Anonymous

I got a 5 year warranty with mine from richer sounds, i was hoping i wouldn't require it.

I hope you get your sorted out soon.

A

Anonymous

greymack:

I got a 5 year warranty with mine from richer sounds, i was hoping i wouldn't require it.

I hope you get your sorted out soon.

I also have a 5 year warranty... Doesn't seem to be helping me though :(

Have Richer Sounds swapped your TV yet - Is this your second?

A

Anonymous

Perhaps you could refer them to this thread. Dont forget the first years warranty is with Phillips. The RS is for an extended warranty.

A

Anonymous

I've not contacted anyone yet as i'm not sure what to do really. It's not massively obvious on my set but it is there.

I'm really giving it a bit time to investigate all the settings and maybe watch some other tv programmes to see if i spot anything there.

I keep thinking they must have sold 100's/1000's of these and there's maybe 10 on this forum complaining so maybe it's just a bad batch or other people aren't that bothered as we are.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts