HDR 10+ vs Dolby Vision/Philips vs LG?

r1jones

Feb 4, 2008
Visit site
First of all it’s great to see the forum still going strong and seeing some familiar faces still on here. I’m hoping some of you with more knowledge than me can help me out.

When What HiFi reviewed the LG 55 CX I was ready to buy there and then, but then they gave the Philips 805 the Product of the Year award. Now I need some help making a decision.

I’ll be running the sound through my Marantz PM7000N so sound quality shouldn’t be an issue.
I’m using a BT box (4k package) which has all the TV apps I use, so lack of apps on the LG isn’t a problem.

So I think the decision comes down to picture quality.

Other things I’ve considered:
The Philips lacks Airplay. As an iPhone user this might come in handy.
The LG lacks HDR10+. How common is that compared to Dolby Vision? I don’t to buy the LG if HDR10+ becomes the dominant standard.
I’ve no plans to run any games consoles with it.
I’ve not seen Ambilight in action so no idea how much that would improve my viewing.

Given all that which would you choose?

One of the biggest problems with HDR10+ is a lack of availability. Presently, Samsung is the only big-name manufacturer to go all-in on it, although, there’s been limited support from some other manufacturers. Content is also sparse, only Amazon Video currently offers streaming content in HDR10+.

Ambilight makes a significant difference to viewing experience. There are other ways to get AirPlay on your TV. There are also apps to address this I believe.

Both LG and Philips use the same OLED panel (all OLED panels are manufactured by LG).

D

Deleted member 2457

First of all it’s great to see the forum still going strong and seeing some familiar faces still on here. I’m hoping some of you with more knowledge than me can help me out.

When What HiFi reviewed the LG 55 CX I was ready to buy there and then, but then they gave the Philips 805 the Product of the Year award. Now I need some help making a decision.

I’ll be running the sound through my Marantz PM7000N so sound quality shouldn’t be an issue.
I’m using a BT box (4k package) which has all the TV apps I use, so lack of apps on the LG isn’t a problem.

So I think the decision comes down to picture quality.

Other things I’ve considered:
The Philips lacks Airplay. As an iPhone user this might come in handy.
The LG lacks HDR10+. How common is that compared to Dolby Vision? I don’t to buy the LG if HDR10+ becomes the dominant standard.
I’ve no plans to run any games consoles with it.
I’ve not seen Ambilight in action so no idea how much that would improve my viewing.

Given all that which would you choose?
I have had quite a few LG OLED TVs and still own the C9 I also have had 2 Philips LED TVs with ambilight and I like BB do like it. One thing with LG OLED TVs is they tend to have quite a bit of picture noise on a 4K picture and Dolby Vision picks this up a lot.

John Lewis have just stop selling Philips TVs though and I am not sure why. I personally prefer HDR over Dolby Vision. You can turn ambilight on and off incase you don’t like it. John Lewis still have an ex-display Philips OLED in my local store and I was really impressed with the picture. It might be worth looking at Black Friday prices throughout November.

r1jones

Feb 4, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your comments Gel and Big Boss. I was after the C9 last year but left it too late and everywhere sold out. 🤦🏻‍♂️
I might be leaning more towards the Philips now. It seems to have more features and there are workarounds for anything it might be missing. Plus the Ambilight always seems to get a good writeup.
Will definitely keep an eye out for Black Friday or the January sales.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts