Philips 9664 problem!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Maybe we have a different firmware version?

I will check when I can, but I'm about to lower my aged body into a hot bath (with a good book and a beverage). The pleasures of old age! I will post our version this weekend. Speak to you soon.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
arpca690:j4mm3r:

Just a quick question for andy, i cant work out your settings you posted!

you state perfect pixel: minimum and hdnm: off - on my menu i have perfect natural motion with options of off/minimum/maximum, is this the perfect pixel option if so what is hdnm? are they not the same thing? my menu displays perfect natural motion then 200hz, which you cant switch on if perfect natural motion is set to off.

I have the same question as j4mm3r. Andy could you please expain these settings. I turn perfect natural motion off because I cant bear the shimmering or motion artifacts, and I was wondering if u were doing something extra to make the picture better. My original assumption was that perfect pixel = HDNM but you have different settings for each, and that HDNM has to be on to allow 200HZ to be on. Andy could you please reply

Many thanks

Hi folks, posted the settings from memory while in the office but will check on my TV when I get home tonight and clarify.

j4mm3r

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Thanks andy. Looking at image badamz has, he has an option for hd natural motion, whereas i have an option for perfect natural motion?

alienrik, interesting news, how do u get on with ur ps3 with bluray?

A

Anonymous

The Samsung may have been at fault, but this does not contradict the comment Clare made about the PS3 as a BR player, that is why I pasted it in, not to diss the PS3. I own one, so I hope it does for now (will find out on Christmas Day!). Will get a standalone as and when (only got to do the bathroom and finish the kitchen - gawd!).

As the mighty j4mm3r (trumpets blown, petals scattered) asks, how do you find your PS3 as a player of the blurays? Do you disagree with Clare?

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Badamz:
The Samsung may have been at fault, but this does not contradict the comment Clare made about the PS3 as a BR player, that is why I pasted it in, not to diss the PS3. I own one, so I hope it does for now (will find out on Christmas Day!). Will get a standalone as and when (only got to do the bathroom and finish the kitchen - gawd!).

As the mighty j4mm3r (trumpets blown, petals scattered) asks, how do you find your PS3 as a player of the blurays? Do you disagree with Clare?

As ive never actually owned a dedicated blu ray player I cannot make a decision on that. I CAN say that adding a 16 core braided cable to my PS3 made quite a difference to quality (especially audio), so id guess my setup isnt too far off a dedicated player.

I do 'question' some reviews I see though as they can contradict one another.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
j4mm3r:

alienrik, interesting news, how do u get on with ur ps3 with bluray?

Mines probably better than most purely as it has such a 'clean' mains supply to it. But with respect to how it is? its VERY good to my eyes (As ive said before though, ive never owned a dedicated blu ray player to compare it to). Having read a review elsewhere its been confirmed that the PS3 sends the information 'as is' which is exactly what it should do.

".........on our reference Plasma display, the Pioneer KURO PDP-LX5090 (which has
perfectly flat Greyscale and Gamma tracking), and confirmed that no
gamma alteration or colour "enhancement" was going on"
"We can't really ask for (much) more than a machine that decodes video
and plays it back as-is, and that's exactly what the Playstation3 does,
which means that it scores as "Excellent" for HD image quality."
So assuming all the information makes it to the tv in one piece then it cant really do anymore than that. The dedicated ones are 'probably' smoother.

Its still by far one of the quickest to load a bluray (from the sounds of it, some are unbelievably slow)

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
OK, to get back to the earlier question of settings on the 9664, I've checked my own TV and can clarify:

When in Pixel Plus HD sub-menu, Perfect Natural Motion should be set to Minimum (what I previously referred to as HDNM).

Then 200Hz Clear LCD: On

Advanced sharpness: Off

Dynamic contrast: Off

Dynamic backlight: Best picture

MPEG artefact reduction: Off

Colour Enhancement: Off

Hope that helps.

A

Anonymous

Wales 25:Overall I am very happy with my philips 42' 9664 but when I watch football/rugby/cricket, I have noticed when the screen shot moves from side to side quickly (long ball etc) there are about 6 or 7 vertical lines/patches that appear across the screen then disapear when the movement stops, there not clear lines they are more like water marks, this is with sky HD and TV tuner SD. I haven't noticed this watch anything else films normal tv etc, is there a problem with my set or is this normal with LCD's

I bought one of these tvs last week and have also noticed these vertical lines when watching rugby and football on sky hd and through the TV tuner SD. I've used the settings posted in this thread and also turned all off the processing off, which makes it less noticeable. Prior to having this tv, i had a Sony KDL 40 Z5500 which I returned due to bad clouding. However this also had the same effect when watching sports.

Is this something that is common to all LCD tvs, or is there a genuine fault with the tv?

A

Anonymous

Potentially i was going to buy one of these tv's this week, reading posts like this really puts doubts in the mind. Will be good to hear if this is just a fault on a small batch.

A

Anonymous

I have had two so far and they both displayed this issue.

A

Anonymous

Well I took the plunge and bought the 9664, initial impressions are very good but of course having read this thread when I watched a football match there was the watermark effects on the panning shots L

Having spent such a lot of money on the set it puts a bit of a dampener on things.

I note that the recommended settings from What HiFi have HD Natural Motion set to minimum and yet they say they didn't see this problem, at minimum on my set I see it clearly. So does that mean it's a fault in some batches and I should contact Philips?

I would appreciate any advice on what to do next especially if any experts are reading this?

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:

One thought...you are all using decent cables, aren't you? (Runs for cover...)

LMAO
emotion-21.gif

markiedee

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
i would advise everyone to have the hdnm or pnm set off i have a philips 7404 and make sure for sports that its switched off as it can cause shimmer and artefacting with very quick paning when watching sports.

A

Anonymous

greymack:

Well I took the plunge and bought the 9664, initial impressions are very good but of course having read this thread when I watched a football match there was the watermark effects on the panning shots L

Having spent such a lot of money on the set it puts a bit of a dampener on things.

I think it's about time that Philips stepped in and explained why this 'phenomenon' is occurring.

I went to my local retailer to exchange for a third set in the hope of getting one that doesn't have the problem but even the one being demonstrated in the shop had it!! Amazingly the sales guys couldn't see it.They are contacting Philips this afternoon and will let me know their response.

Can't the kind folk at What Hi-Fi talk to Philips direct and try and get to the bottom of this??

I am soooo close to ditching Philips and just biting the bullet and getting the Panasonic V10.

A

Anonymous

I can understand those sentiments.

I have sat for the past hour and a half changing the settings and trying all the combinations but to no avail. I have also just done n software update again no change.

My wife couldn't see what i was talking about until i pointed it out then she said it was obvious so perhaps its the same with the guys in the shop?

All i can say is the tv is superb but when watching football/rugby etc there are vertical watermark lines which are visible and detract from the overall quality of the tv.

I too would like to hear from the what hi fi team, they obviously tested the tv thoroughly and some appear to have this set at home if they are not having this issue does that not suggest a bad batch?

Would love some advice from the team.

j4mm3r

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
I have to say ive not noticed these watermarks and i watch a lot of footie, perhaps its there and ive not noticed like the guys in the shops. match of the day is on tonight so ill record it and post back what i see. hope i dont see anything this tv has been a revelation...

A

Anonymous

It's a hard one to describe, watermarks is pretty close to the mark another might be to imagine there are vertical stripes of gauss on the lcd screen and so when the screen moves across predominantly one colour background such as green grass you see the effect of the slightly darker stripes .........oh forget it, it's very hard to describe and i think thats half the problem, if you haven't noticed it, it is difficult to put over the issues your seeing, well i find it that way anyway.

A

Anonymous

This is pure genius

I just got of the phone to philips support and i described the problem, after a lot of empty silence the tech guy came back with un plug the tv for 2 hours and see if that helps :)

That must have come from the bottom of the page under the heading if all else fails say this :)

A

Anonymous

greymack:

This is pure genius

I just got of the phone to philips support and i described the problem, after a lot of empty silence the tech guy came back with un plug the tv for 2 hours and see if that helps :)

That must have come from the bottom of the page under the heading if all else fails say this :)

Oh. Great... I have been advised by the supplier of my set to contact Philips... Probably not worth it then. :(

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
greymack:
This is pure genius

I wonder how much those 'tech' guys are on...........
emotion-40.gif

A

Anonymous

I would still phone them just to see if you get a different response.

And Thanks to Andy for emailing Philips, Hopefully you'll get an answer quite quickly

A

Anonymous

Andy, when Philips reply could you see if anything they say is also relevant for the 7404 - I've got one at home in an unopened box!!!

fruityboy

Nov 2, 2007
Visit site
mmmm dont know what to do now had ordered the philips just waiting for them to come in but after reading about these probs im not sure i want one now dont want another sony after having 3 panels in less than six months in my 40w 4000 might get a panasonic 42g10 can anyone tell me if its worth paying the extra money for the 42 g15 please?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts