LG OLED the dreaded screen burn

FMIB

Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
I have a LG OLED 65inch TV, that's just over 4 years old. It's been a fantastic TV, but this week I noticed a retained image/screen burn on the left bottom side of the panel. It is very noticeable when watching football with the green grass and when the screen has red colour.
I have taken care over the ownership to minimise any screen burn. I have run the pixel refresh program, but no change to the retained image.
I took a Currys 5 year warranty when I purchased, as I had some worries about this issue, the warranty runs out end of Nov 23.
Currys are collecting the TV this weekend to repair it, but from what I have read, repair is not possible for this issue.

Does anyone have experience on this and what I might expect from Currys?
My concern is that they take it away, return it a week later telling me there is nothing wrong with it.

Crumbs, I would hope they’ll simply replace the whole set. It can’t be economic to take a factory mass-produced set to pieces, even if parts were available - which I’d bet they’re not.

No experience to share, though our previous non-OLED LG lasted 10 years, and still looked good. Now have a 20-21 year 55” B1 which is covered by Richer’s six year warranty I hope!

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
From reading people's experiences on other Audio Visual Forums like this some have ended up paying £250 for a panel replacement. Others have had to battle hard to get a satisfactory outcome, others have had no issues. Bit of a lottery unfortunately!

FMIB

Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
We do use the TV a lot, comes with the being retired territory and 2 years of Covid.
However, I do try to minimise the burn risk by changing channels and minimising any channel with fixed images. Apart from the burn, the picture remains superb.
I can't remember for sure, but I took the extended warranty as I was told it covers screen burn, but I can't see any mention in the small print, it certainly does not cover cosmetic damage, which in my opinion its not.
I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Currys warranty and had an OLED repaired or replaced with screen burn.
I am not very hopeful of a positive outcome and would prefer not to lose my TV for 7 days with no solution.

FMIB

Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
To update, the tracking says that the repair is completed and is due for delivery back to me this Saturday.
In order to find out what the repair was, I called the repair centre who said that they ordered and replaced the screen due to a screen fault and it has gone through and passed the quality assurance department.
Once I get it back I will see what a new screen really means as I don't know if the screen as such is really replaceable or its the full panel, electronics included, basically a new TV minus the stand.
If the latter, that would be a result for a 4 year old TV and a solid warranty.

FMIB

Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
No a flat panel.
I don’t know why you see it as a bad buy, best TV I have ever owned and 4 years of enjoyment watching movies, sports, gaming etc.
I am sure there are numerous TV’s that go wrong for all sorts of reasons, many well within 4 years, but in this case it looks to have been immediately resolved with a solid warranty. Collection, repair and delivery without questions or delay.
On this basis it was a good buy in my opinion.
To put it another way, just watched a football match on another non oled, slightly smaller TV, it’s the difference between being part of the match vs watching from the back row of the stands!

Reactions: WayneKerr

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
No mention of how much paid but i suspect for a TV that size 65inches and cost (well over a grand ) It is not something they should be expected at only 4 years . One of the biggest problems caused by screen burn is the constant use of freeze images , maybe gaming etc. No mention how many hours use average per day is mentioned here , but should be well over the average use , that would normally be expected from a TV> We had a PLASMA ie 2010 model s/h £60 ,Panasonic 46 inch . my wife uses that TV ( and me) 17 hours a day switched on. O nly reason sold it was the red button ( minor switch problem but once the TV warmed up , everything was fine with it) We just replaced it with a TCL 50 inch at £256. . and this get the same 17 hours a day treatment ( i doubt it will last 3 years) Time wiil tell . My other PLASMA 50 inch 3D is 11 years old(£80) and super working , but i suspect i replace it soon now ( cost of running them is high) but still use it 4 hours a day now . Value for money the Samsung was poor in my view . That should not happen to it and out of warranty too ????? When it comes to value for money , rarely a large TV of over 55 inch is a good investment ( especially now with inflation ) A TV costing £245 compared with £1000 +, just because it has a large screen. I still think the larger the screen they are , the more chance of not lasting ( maybe its me) If i had invested my pension on something like that. i would expect 6 years with no problems ( you got 4 years) . Anyway why do people buy such TVs only to put them on a wall ? Because its the only place to put them ( and do not do what some silly people do , put the TVs over a fire ( how crazy is that ?). No TV made now ,is built to last , mainly because the company making them ,would quickly go out of manufacture. ( that was another reason why they stopped making PLASMAs and the fact they was expensive to make Pioneer went broke because among other things there TVs was too good , and built in the UK

FMIB

Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
I will quantify for you.........
This was early OLED days and a C8 LG version, so it was not cheap, just over £2k. Similar can be purchased today at below £1.5K
I mentioned it has been heavily used, often on continuously for 16-20 hours on many days. The burn looks to be from a logo such as on Good Morning Britain, not from games.
At 4 years and 3 months I noticed a small and slight image retention on the bottom left portion of the screen. It was only noticeable when watching certain programs.
I was not immediately aware I was sitting on a 5 year warranty, so since I had, I thought I might as well contact the warranty department as it would soon run out and must say, i was a little surprised it was taken care of so quickly and easily.
I have had many TV's, 4k/UHD is important to me as it greatly improves my viewing experience and if you have the space, size matters!
Not even my previous "large screen" Pioneer plasma could hold a candle to the picture on the OLED.
To be honest, even with the minor screen burn I would expect the TV to function and be watchable for plenty more years to come as even with the slight burn, the picture remains first class.
People buy cars for £20k, other people pay £60k or £100k, and fundamentally they all do the same job just like a £250 TV or a £2k TV, but some people prefer to spend more on bigger and better things because its what they want and can afford, but still no guarantee that the more expensive car wont go wrong or last longer than the £20k car.
There are no bad buys here.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
time will time FMIB The difference is a car is essential (maybe not over 30k) without a car millions cannot get to work ( Rural) and take on holidays and trips to the supermarket (rural) A TV at over £1000 is a luxury .. With things the way they are now (inflation) i know where my money going to be "electricity and food" I am still waiting for my pension increase of 10% (April)

Reactions: busb

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a LG OLED 65inch TV, that's just over 4 years old. It's been a fantastic TV, but this week I noticed a retained image/screen burn on the left bottom side of the panel. It is very noticeable when watching football with the green grass and when the screen has red colour.
I have taken care over the ownership to minimise any screen burn. I have run the pixel refresh program, but no change to the retained image.
I took a Currys 5 year warranty when I purchased, as I had some worries about this issue, the warranty runs out end of Nov 23.
Currys are collecting the TV this weekend to repair it, but from what I have read, repair is not possible for this issue.

Does anyone have experience on this and what I might expect from Currys?
My concern is that they take it away, return it a week later telling me there is nothing wrong with it.
I have an LG OLED55G1 bought shortly after launch in 2021 & an LG OLED55C2 bought in Nov22. Both have 5yr guarantees. Both need to be left on standby to allow screen burn-in maintenance before the set turns itself off after 10 mins (relay click).
LG look to have improved OLED screen burn-in year on year. My previous 10yr old Panasonic plasma TV that I gave away in 2021 needed the contrast setting up at max & suffered from quite pronounced burn-in so it isn't just OLEDs.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Indeed. Never got screen burn (yet), but its poor relative, image retention, was common on the Panny plasma I had before.
When you read up on how W-OLED panels that LG Display make, in particular; the filtering required, it’s surprising how bright they can get.
White LEDs emit blue light the shines through a phosphor layer that then converts the light to white which is still inefficient, not absolutely certain if OLEDs have similar characteristics or not. Samsung’s QLED technology sounds very promising, less conversion therefore more efficient with bright highlights not being so washed out. OLED TVs in general give far better results that neither buzz badly like my plasma did nor have fans that start their life being quiet but get noisy.
My concern with OLED TVs in general is the so-called black crushing where the number of discrete ADC steps is insufficient - particularly noticeable on std def material & motion judder.
The HDR content on my C2 TV looks amazing apart from motion. That's why 4k demo content in showrooms always avoids any fast moving scenes.

FMIB

Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
Have you looked at the various motion control settings?
For me, my OLED has one of the least motion judder of any TV I have owned to date. I have the very first 4K TV Samsung TV released(LED) sitting in my garage, I changed to OLED because the motion judder was much better.
For the LG I think I turned all motion control settings to off.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Have you looked at the various motion control settings?
For me, my OLED has one of the least motion judder of any TV I have owned to date. I have the very first 4K TV Samsung TV released(LED) sitting in my garage, I changed to OLED because the motion judder was much better.
For the LG I think I turned all motion control settings to off.
When it comes to motion and real blacks still takes a lot to beat the best PLASMA ever made 2012 model Panasonic and we looking at 10 years later too. Yes we have 4k but i wonder how far PLASMAs would be now if they continued to make them(something we never know sorry to say) The Duron with its super sounds and picture and that was a 2008 model too . Still worries me exactly how long these Samsung will last , i think 5 years would be about it . WE saw the curved TVs which was having so many problems ,so bad in fact they quickly stopped making them ( never worked out why they made them in the first place . These was really asking for trouble running 2 or even 3 screens ( more to go wrong ) . OLED vs QLED In real world of TV and games is there that difference ? so far there is no 8k transmissions here in the UK and many transmissions are still in 1080P . If playing games from a console a dedicated monitor is a far better idea anyway .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts