Philips 9664 problem!

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Hey Tuna

Isn't it amazing you don't notice it for a year then watch the world cup and i bet u see it (or look for it) all the time now.

I believe it's a tv issue i had 3...or was it 4 and they all had it to one degree or another, the last one i got was much more acceptable and if i really looked i could probably still see it a bit but i put it out my mind and now never notice.

For me the tv is excellent and does it's job and i try not to get to hooked up on it as you just can't get a perfect tv, look at Maxflin for example (and i hope you don't mind me quoting you max) he was over the moon with his panasonic yet he spotted one small flaw in the motion handling and everytime he watched the tv after that he was looking for it.

P.S. Isn't the Philips 9664 a 5 year warranty?

A

Anonymous

Hi greymack thanks for ur reply. Yeah its amazing i didnt notice it for so long but now i cant stop noticing it! Yeah i love the picture, when its good its really good its just ruined watching football for me. So could you tell me then who did you contact, philips or the retailer and did philips understand/recognize what you were referring to as they havent acknowledged its a problem with me (also i was hoping whf would have an opinion but they seem quiet on the matter). I brought the tv from hi spek and have a five year warranty with them, but i feel they are going to play dumb like philips and i wont be able to get it fixed/replaced :-( i think i shall email the retailer today and see what reply i get, perhaps i shall refer them to this thread also. thanks again.

A

Anonymous

greymack:
Hey Tuna

Isn't it amazing you don't notice it for a year then watch the world cup and i bet u see it (or look for it) all the time now.

I believe it's a tv issue i had 3...or was it 4 and they all had it to one degree or another, the last one i got was much more acceptable and if i really looked i could probably still see it a bit but i put it out my mind and now never notice.

For me the tv is excellent and does it's job and i try not to get to hooked up on it as you just can't get a perfect tv, look at Maxflin for example (and i hope you don't mind me quoting you max) he was over the moon with his panasonic yet he spotted one small flaw in the motion handling and everytime he watched the tv after that he was looking for it.

P.S. Isn't the Philips 9664 a 5 year warranty?
not at all, you're spot on, once id seen the motion issue, i was subconsciously looking for it, pre-disposed to it if you like, now if the tv had cost e800 like my lg, i could have lived with it, the lg has a few minor quirks, but at the price i dont mind at all, but when you pay e1650, its harder to forgive..

A

Anonymous

Well i got my first sets from richer sounds and they accepted the return without much hassle at all, i think on the 2nd or 3rd i contacted philips and like you they didn't know what i was talking about but they were prepared to take it in and suggested changing the panel.

I never got this far as i got one from the home cinema centre which proved to be much much better.

In my investigations into this tv i discovered there were two types of panels used and fitted in different countries and it seemed to be pot luck which you got but apparently one was far superior to the other. I can't confirm if that is true but it's what i read on another well known forum.

I too was a little disappointed with what hi fi's response, andy clough in particular has a set himself at home but if they don't have or see the problem there's nothing then can do about it. However the fact you had the set for a year before noticing highlights that a lot of these faults you get on modern sets are oblivious to a large proportion of people until it gets pointed out to them ......................then of course you see it all the time :(

A

Anonymous

Update: My 9664 went in for repair once again ( 2nd time in < 12 months). LCD Panel was replaced once again. TV was returned to me and repair centre had damaged the stand (Scrapes/Dents) also had left a "Plastic Spacer" wedged in between the LCD Panel and the TV metal Bezel distorting it. Turned on TV and got a picture for approx 30 sec. and then the screen went blank. That was that. Called Repair Centre and they apologised and said they would collect it again. So back it went for repair for a third time. They called a week later to say that they contacted Philips and requested that a new replacement TV be issued to me through the retailer I purchased it from. I contacted the Retailer and said I was not interested in a new replacement Philips TV at this stage as I had lost any confidence in the brand and just wanted a full refund (Which you as a consumer are fully entitled to). The retailer I must note had no problem issuing a refund but said they would make a call to Philips first. Shortly afterwards I received a call from the Philips Sales Director for Ireland - who apologised for the issues I had encountered and offered me to try the lastest Philips LED 40PFL9705H TV with specs and features as long as your arm - and if I was not happy with it I could return it for a full refund. So I agreed - it was delivered, set up, switched on and I began to hear the high pitched buzz from it - which is a known problem - and has been raised on other forums. So needless to say - it went back the same day. I am now going to the retailer tomorrow to get my full cash refund. I think I will wait a while before I buy another TV - there are lots developments happening- such as the muturity of 3D TV and also Google TV enabled TVs. Whilst my experience with the Philips product I bought (and replacement product) were very poor - the support and follow-up from Philips and the retailer were very positive. My advise is if you having issues/concerns - dont settle for a sub-standard product - especially in this price bracket. You may have to go through the same process as me - but if you can get your money back / or a newer replacement TV - it is worth it. Remember to get a full written report from the repair centre any time you TV goes in for repair - these can be used to take to the retailer as evidence of the issues you have experienced and that the products is not fit for purpose. Also take out an extended Manufacturers (not a retailer's) extended warranty when available. Regarding legality - your contract is with the retailer not the manufacturer under the sale of goods act. So retailers are legally obliged to deal with any issues you have with a product you purchased from them. However you can if you wish contact the Manufacturer directly - but any refunds/replacements will be made by the retailer you purchased the product from in the first place. Good Luck !

A

Anonymous

Following on from Henno and my ealier comment, I have spoken to Hi-spek and they have agreed to replace my phillips for another one and or any other tv I may like (paying the difference of course). I must praise Hi-spek for their response and how easy they have made this, all correspondence has been via email as i couldnt leave office to make a call in the day and they have been really helpful and quick to resolve the issue. Any one thinking of purchasing from them i would recommend highly.

My only problem now is deciding what tv to buy! Like Henno i'd like to wait but as im swapping the unit i need to decide on a tv. A quick read through the forums and it appears there are known issues with a lot of the tvs!

I'd like to future proof and buy a 3d tv but im not sure which model, does anyone know how the sony 40LX903 performs and if it has any back light issues? also could whf confirm if the phillips 9705 model in their office has had any of the issues (3d problems) discussed on the forums as i quite like the image quality of philips tv's (the 9664 is stunning bar the dirty screen issue)...

fatdog1

Jun 29, 2008
Visit site
I've had my 42pfl9664 for a year now and have been pretty much very
happy with my purchase. I can notice the dirty screen effect while
watching Golf and Football but it wasn't terribly off putting. Today I
turned on the Sky EPG and while the blue background was displayed I
noticed several dead pixels. They are easily seen from a few feet away. I
can clearly see at least 4 black ones (all single pixels that form a
rectangle shape ) and have tried numerous programmes to try and fix them
but no joy. What is Philips poilcy on dead pixels? I have the 5 year
warranty with the TV. How long usually would a repair take etc?

A

Anonymous

fatdog1

If you can see this problem from a few feet away then I would say you have patches of dead/stuck pixels as to see them on a bright blue screen from a few feet away they would have to be a few clumped together! To see a single or sub stuck/dead pixel you would have to be very close! If they are all black then they are dead pixels (dead meaning they are not coming on, stuck meaning they are stuck on a certain colour!) try looking for your dead black pixels on a pure white background and try to count them that way! Each pixel will have 3 sub pixels red, green and blue (the new sharp panels have yellow too!).

I hope this helps mate!

ps some of the screens on the nintendo wii could help as they are very white or you could use your computer and set the screen to white!

fatdog1

Jun 29, 2008
Visit site
Cheers for the reply. Have used the Xbox start up screen and Wii channel screen from about 4 feet away where I play games in my chair I can clearly see them. They are black. Phoned Richer Sounds yesterday and they are getting the Philips engineers to give me a ring tomorrow.

fatdog1

Jun 29, 2008
Visit site
A quick update...got a phone call today to say that my Tv was getting collected and the engineer would look at it in my house then see what needed to be done. My wife could hardly see the dead pixels but as soon as I turned the set on the engineer seen them. This was on ordinary TV before I showed him white screens etc.He said the engineer in-house would liook at it and Philips would then send them a new panel to install. Glad it's getting sorted. Very quick service so far. Missing it loads..stuck with a Samsung 23" until it arrives:(

fatdog1

Jun 29, 2008
Visit site
New panel arrived and installed today. Engineer said as the TV was in
the van most of the day and it was cold here to wait until it heated up
in case any damage could be done due to moisture. Turned it on a few
hours ago. Where the 4 dead pixels used to be are lovely new alive
pixels, but slap bang in the middle of the screen are a batch of new
ones..
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
Can see 3 at least. I use the PS3 / Xbox360 and Wii and with the Game
setting on and a bright background on, they look worse than before as
they are so central. I am really, really annoyed at this. I have lost
faith in Philips now and fear that if I send it off again the same will
happen.

I will be phoning first thing tomorrow morning. I paid a lot
of money for the TV and did not expect this to happen. Totally
scundered and really don't want another dodgy set...

fatdog1

Jun 29, 2008
Visit site
Phoned yesterday afternoon. 3rd panel now on its way. If this one has any problems whatsoever I'm demanding a full refund or a brand new TV. Richer Sounds have been very good with the after sales care but they shouldn't have too!!! Really hoping it's 3rd time lucky!! Will let you know...

A

Anonymous

Hi fatdog1

Is everything OK with your TV now?

My Philips 9664 is getting the dirty effect problem in the lateral part of the screen (both left and right sides). Any one with this problem?

Best Regards

D

Deleted member 2457

mpro:

Hi fatdog1

Is everything OK with your TV now?

My Philips 9664 is getting the dirty effect problem in the lateral part of the screen (both left and right sides). Any one with this problem?

Best Regards

I had that on the Philips 40 9704 i had for a couple of days..

A

Anonymous

Hi gel

What did you did to solve the problem?

Did Philips replaced the panel or replaced the TV by another model?

How old was your TV when the problem apear? My TV is 1.5 years old.

Best Regards

D

Deleted member 2457

mpro:

Hi gel

What did you did to solve the problem?

Did Philips replaced the panel or replaced the TV by another model?

How old was your TV when the problem apear? My TV is 1.5 years old.

Best Regards

It was the worse panel i had seen in a tv straight from the off when i got it, so i gave it straight back to the shop.

Philips seemed too have had to replace loads of their tvs recently.

D

Deleted member 2457

mpro:

Ok How many time you had the tv?

Best Regards

Once and that was more than enough for me.

I had a demo in Spain and your one the 9664 and they were fantastic but perhaps i just got a really dodgy one but i have never heard anyone praise it on here, which is rather strange given all the rave reviews.

grifz

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I have the 47pfl9664 .I have had my set for over 1year now with no problems yet , I have said before that this tv is still one of the best HD performers imo .The standerd def picture isnt the best but put a demo blu-ray through this set and it still out performs most . Again in my opinion. I have a five year warranty just in case the dreaded dirty black marks appear.

A

Anonymous

I KNOW what this issue is!

I Came across this thread after getting the same effect on the newer 46" 9705! the newer 2010 model which I'm yet to sort out.

Basically what your seeing when the TV pans across the display is the un-uniform LCD panel you can get the same effect hooking up a PC and draging a white window about horizotal,football panning across grass that fills 90% of the display and panning snow scenes.

To find out how bad this issue is turn off dynamic backlight in perfect pixel hd turn the contrast to full and display a 1080p full black image from a usb stick and sit in a pitch black room.

What you will notice or I do with mine is vertical streeks down the LCD panel and blotches as if someones toke a rag and wiped it from behind, these are the same faint grey streeks I see when the horizontal panning shot is at the perfect speed to see them.

I hope this helps its really anoying I have just spent £2000 on a 9705 with the same effect I noticed straight away all be it faintly!

It seems as if the screens are not cleaned down properly mines realy foggy off center using a full black image, I dontthink any amount of settings will change this issue as its the make up of the panel itself....

A

Anonymous

No this is not visable defects on a static white image like the one shown, it more to do with horizontal panning shots the picture goes grainey.

If you look at my screen with a full black image with photo mode and dynamic backlight off my screen has vertical streaks top to bottom these become visible on scene with long panning shots like grass pitches in football, snow scenes and dragging windows left to right when a connected pc is being used.

It unrelated to any setting on the TV its like you can see the manufacturing dirt in the LCD when the image pans across block colours or white.

This picture shows the problem all be it not very well:

DSC00075-2.jpg

Notice the panel is slightly streaky.

A link to the video showing this fault copy and paste link into adress bar and Set the video to 420p to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I67qEUi9qsU

This video shows the 9705 hooked up to a pc showing dark grey in windows paint notice when draged horizontal the grey starts to go grainy/blocthy and patchy this is the same effect seen in football panning shots and snow scenes and some games.

TRENDING THREADS